Rochester Pet Expo and Smilin Pit Bull Rescue (SPBR)

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2009, 9:39 am

We went to the Pet Expo yesterday. The only word I can think of is appalling.

I arrived a few hours affter it started and the first place I went to park they were charging $10. Yeah, right, $10 to park in a vacant lot full of potholes and mud. Thanks I'll go park on the street. (Ok, that has nothing to do with the rest of this post, but it was indicitive of what was coming up)

On my way in I saw more odgs on flexi leads then I cared to cound. Most were little dogs, but not all. Many people were letting their dogs wander at the end of their leashes and were being allowed to approach and greet strange dogs without speaking to the owner first.

I went in and paid my entry fee and was immediately greeted by two dogs. I didn't ask for them to walk up to me, and since they had different owners who were paying no attention to them, I had no idea if they were going to get along themselves.

I went to find Jenn.

I walked down the middle aisle to see more handling that bordered on frightening. I found Jenn and her daughter at the Bandit's Bath House booth. That's the place I bring Riggs to give him a bath. They are fantastic and have no problem respecting my requests to keep dogs away from him and not let them wander the shop while we are there. **highly recommended**

After we left that booth we met an adorable "little" Pit puppy and his owners. He was 16 weeks and 25 pounds, he's gonna be a big one! We got talking and found out that they were having some trouble with him and I promptly handed a card. While we were talking the puppy was quietly sitting at her feet. A man approached from behind and allowed his adult Golden Retreiver to stick his head between her legs to stuff his nose up the puppy's butt. The puppy lost it and the guy seemed rather mystified that that was not appropriate behavior from him or his dog. I scooped up the puppy and quieted him down. No harm no foul. He had been attacked by a Yorkie recently so he was not really comfortable with small dogs but was fine with larger dogs if allowed to be introduced correctly, not accosted from behind without warning. I'm hoping they stop in here soon!

From there, we headed to the SPBR booth. I should have just kept on walking. They had an x-pen set up with an adorable pile of sleeping puppies in it. I was standing about three feet away and could smell them. These were not 5 week old poopy-puppies, these were 10ish week old pupppies that had serious "shelter stink." A woman was holding one and speaking to an SPBR volunteer, so I stepped closer. Their adoption fee is $300. Waaaaay above the norm in this area. She commented at how expensive that was and he explained it was because it would already be spayed and vetted and the money goes to "making sure the dogs are as healthy as possible." (You can pull a puppy from any of the area shelters for about $110, also altered and with basic vet checks done.) He also told her that they currently have seventy five dogs and puppies available for adoption.

My next stop was the crate with another pile of sleeping puppies. There was a mini-Riggs in there, and I asked to meet her. The woman pulled her out and handed her to me. She reeked. I commented on the stink and she explained that they all needed baths. Are you kidding me? They brought filthy puppies to an adoption event! Way to make a good first impression on potential adopters. I had enough and we continued.

A few booths down was the booth for the local pet cemetary, it's where I had Mordred and Pavarotti creamated and I stopped and looked at their urns. The woman there commented about the SPBR booth and told us about the adult Pit who had grabbed a small breed dog earlier in the day by the head. She said it took a while to separate them, the Pit just clamped down. I asked how they got them apart, and she said that they just kept pulling and the Pit eventually let go. Thank God the little dog wasn't hurt, but that's only because the Pit didn't feel like killing it (obviously.)

A few minutes later we met the guy with the blind adult male Doberman, who quite understandably was pretty freaked out. The dog kept wandering up to people and other dogs trying to figure out the environment. Now, I will give the handler credit, he did step out of the building a few times to give the dog a chance to calm down, but frankly the dog shouldn't have been there in the first place. Now, guess what rescue the guy told us the dog came from, and guess which rescue didn't tell him that the dog shouldn't be there?

There was a stunning intact male Great Dane, the handler mostly paid attention to him, but numerous dogs were allowed to wander up to him. A few times he turned around so he was facing the opposite direction of the handler and started sniffing dogs.

More than one dog peed on the floor and the handlers just walked away.

My eyes started bugging out and Jenn laughed and asked me if I was ready to go. Uh... yeah... before my head explodes!

From there we went to Sticky Lips BBQ **highly recommended** where I ordered a blank and tan made with Guinness and Woodchuck cider **highly recommended.** I returned from the bathroom to find three bottles at my seat. A bottle of Guinness, a bottle of Woodchuck and a bottle of Black-and-Tan. Um... I then proceeded to order an appetizer for lunch - machos with pulled pork. I got a pile of nachos that was bigger than my head.

The saving grace of teh day was hanging out with Jenn and her friend, but that about covered it.

The next time one of these events rolls around I think I'll just stay home. :rolleyes2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » March 9th, 2009, 9:48 am

Ugh, I'm sorry you had a bad time.

I went to something similar here last year, and at one point I saw a woman who had brought SIX dogs with her to the event. It was ludicrous, luckily we had Shelby with us and not Sirius, because at one point they walked up behind us and all six of her dogs got very interested in Shelby and rushed up behind her. The poor thing was so startled that I picked up her (at the time) forty pound ass while saying "Excuse me, ma'am, can you get your dogs away from my puppy". Probably I was more freaked out than Shelby, but jeeeeeez, six dogs to one handler in a public arena????
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 9th, 2009, 9:54 am

Gee, that sounds like it was a really good time. :shock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » March 9th, 2009, 9:57 am

You know, I love going to see all the exhibits (especially the Dock Diving!) and different products, but the dogs and their ignorant owners are SUCH a turn-off that I always leave early. :neutral:

It's too bad because there is usually a LOT of good info at these shows and it's a great place to network.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » March 9th, 2009, 10:03 am

Ha, I knew exactly what was going to be in this thread after reading the title. I actually saw an advertisement for the Pet Expo in a magazine while I was waiting for Kayden to get out of surgery a few weeks ago. The picture showed people walking throughout a crowded building with most of the dogs on the end of the leash out in front of their owners who were looking in the completely opposite direction. :doh:

I spoke to Kendall last night at flyball and she said her training club was there and that at one point an off leash little dog came flying over and tried to attack one of the Shepherds. A few minutes later a lady happened to walk past them and commented that they had her dog :shock:

Love the comments on the stinky puppies. When Earl arrived at my house he smelled like he had been living in an elephant pen. If you get a look at the army bus those guys are driven around in or any of the other vehicles, you will get a good idea where some of that smell comes from. I know puppies are hard to keep clean but I had 10 of them at my house for a few months and they never smelled like that.

Everyone I know who has gotten a dog or pup from that place has commented on the stench. Disgusting to say the least.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » March 9th, 2009, 10:05 am

We went to the Baltimore one in January, to see Katrina and Greg and the "kids"...and I honestly don't think it was as bad as it has been in the past. I guess I was just lucky!

But the sheer number of clueless handlers is always high...

One thing I'm always amazed at...sure, okay, let your dog sniff other dogs' butts all day long...whatever...but why do people allow their dogs to sniff butts when the other dog is a working dog? I find it more inappropriate for people to allow their dogs to shove their noses up Sawyer's butt when we're out than allowing them to sniff Score for instance. At least be SOMEWHAT aware. But that's obviously too difficult. ;)

And flexi leashes...I wish you had to be licensed to use one. :nono:

But seriously? Stinky puppies? How hard is it to bath a puppy before an event? At least wipe them down and spritz them with cologne and make it appear like you give a crap. :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TinaMartin » March 9th, 2009, 11:45 am

I'm glad I didnt go.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby LMM » March 9th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I just cannot understand why they didn't bathe the pups. Potential adopters HAVE to wonder if they can't even clean them, what else are they neglecting to do. The stench was horrific, seriously. Even my daughter screwed up her face and exclaimed loudly "Mommy they stink!"

And at the grooming booth where I met Michelle, they had this wonderful smell good spray. They really should have bought a bottle.

Sticky Lips was fabulous though. I had a blackened chicken salad that was scrum-did!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Hoyden » March 9th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Keeping my mouth shut.

Struggling to keep my mouth shut.

Duct taping my hands so Michelle doesn't bitch slap me.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2009, 1:14 pm

lol

At least PM it to me.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 9th, 2009, 1:15 pm

No! Share with the rest of the class!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » March 9th, 2009, 1:20 pm

No bull Liz!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Hoyden » March 9th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Let's just say that it's a damn good thing I wasn't there because there is no way in hell I would have been able to keep my big Irish mouth shut.

Me being the bitch that I can be would have been tempted to hand out fliers with eye witness accounts of the conditions that his dogs live in and how his rescue is run to anyone who got near that booth.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby airwalk » March 9th, 2009, 1:36 pm

These and other things are exactly why we no longer participate in our local Pet Expo. It is simply way too stressful for an Animal Agency and shelter dogs. I know other Agencies go - and they pull all of the animals out of fostering (draw your own conclusions about why there are so many really great animals and litters in foster about 3 months before an event) for adoption placement....but we decided last year was our last.

Too much work, too much stress, too much cost, too little payback.
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Frankly, what disturbed me more than the stenchy puppies was the number I heard the guy say... seventy five dogs... seventy five dogs, and not just dogs, Pit Bulls!!!

Name me a Pit Bull rescue anywhere in the country that places 75 dogs in a year.

Ok, feeling nauseated... there are ten litters of puppies listed on the site from 2008.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » March 9th, 2009, 1:44 pm

There are a couple that have been with the rescue a while. And I guarantee you right now, most of that number is puppies. That he basically sells.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » March 9th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Hey Michelle, tell 'em how impressed you were with the NY Dog Whisperer *chuckle*
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2009, 2:34 pm

LMM wrote:Hey Michelle, tell 'em how impressed you were with the NY Dog Whisperer *chuckle*

Oh yeah, I forgot about them. For one flat fee they will come to your house for 4 hours and solve all of your dogs problems - guaranteed for life.

They even had a book (21.95) that told you all about their training; including saying SSSSSSHHHHHHHTTTT to your dog if it tries to go up the stairs ahead of you. It came with one of those 99 cent slip leads for some unknown reason. I saw a few dogs walking around on them because it's evidently "approved" by the NY Dog Whisperers to use the equivalent of a choke collar on dogs in a chaotic uncontrolled environment. :rolleyes2: Where do I sign up for training?

http://www.americasdogwhispererinc.com/

Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye, and maybe it works for most dogs, I don't really know. However, I do know that saying SSSSSSHHHHHHHTTTT to my dogs isn't going to make much of an impression. "Excuse me" generally works much better.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » March 9th, 2009, 3:06 pm

mnp13 wrote: "Excuse me" generally works much better.

Thats because your dogs are unusually polite. They are talking about the average mutt. So see thats the difference. :doh:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby maberi » March 9th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Years ago before I knew anything about dogs (not that I know much now but I certainly have some common sense about them now) I had a trainer over to evaluate Karma's anxiety issues. I didn't really know what this individuals training style was prior to them arriving but within the first 5 minutes I realized what was going on.

We got lectured about not letting the dogs walk down the stairs before us, not letting them eat until we did, not letting them up on furniture, giving the sshhhhtttt command at the right time etc.. etc..

During this time the trainer felt Karma was challenging her because Karma was looking at her so the trainer decided to stare her down. Of course this only freaked Karma out and Karma stared at her longer so the trainer put on a prong collar and proceeded to walk around the house nailing her with the prong collar which of course only freaked Karma out even more and drove Yoda into a frenzy after Karma because she was freaking out :doh:

Needless to say I asked her to leave after that. :nono:

mnp13 wrote:
LMM wrote:Hey Michelle, tell 'em how impressed you were with the NY Dog Whisperer *chuckle*

Oh yeah, I forgot about them. For one flat fee they will come to your house for 4 hours and solve all of your dogs problems - guaranteed for life.

They even had a book (21.95) that told you all about their training; including saying SSSSSSHHHHHHHTTTT to your dog if it tries to go up the stairs ahead of you. It came with one of those 99 cent slip leads for some unknown reason. I saw a few dogs walking around on them because it's evidently "approved" by the NY Dog Whisperers to use the equivalent of a choke collar on dogs in a chaotic uncontrolled environment. :rolleyes2: Where do I sign up for training?

http://www.americasdogwhispererinc.com/

Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye, and maybe it works for most dogs, I don't really know. However, I do know that saying SSSSSSHHHHHHHTTTT to my dogs isn't going to make much of an impression. "Excuse me" generally works much better.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk