Rochester Pet Expo and Smilin Pit Bull Rescue (SPBR)

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Fuego » March 25th, 2009, 4:43 am

Hell, I can't believe puppies are sold during an event like this!? And that's normal?! Argh. :shock:
Luckily that's forbidden here - reckon why: Because of the law for the protection of animals.
I think this kind of selling dogas isn't a godd idea as it may lead to many "cuuute - buy it" instead of well overthought and decided adoptions.
All the other descriptions about the place, dogs and their handlers also fit to any exhibition for pet supplies we have here. That's why I don't go to exhibitions any more. I visited the world dog show once - just once that was enough.
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » April 17th, 2009, 11:57 pm

I wanted to sit on this until I had the full story. I have it now, so let's back up a few weeks.

I posted the following in the staff section on March 10
mnp13 wrote:I just got off of the phone with Rochester Animal Services. The dog can not be released to anyone but an owner. SBPR / Eric is the owner of record.. they have been unable to get in contact with them to have them come and get the dog.

If I make this public now, SPBR will go get the dog. If I sit on it until he's dead they will not be able to change their story. Hopefully Josh will update, but I'm not sure and I don't want to tip them off.

Any real rescue would have been waiting at the door of the shelter Monday morning to get the dog back, if only to have it put down. Those jack asses are going to leave it there. when this goes public it's going to be REALLY public.

Why did I say the above? Because previous experience with SPBR was a clear indicator to me that the dog was going to die in the immediate future. Sadly, I was right on the money.

March 16, 1:14
they are now being very tight lipped about him. they did give me a number for the "freedom of information" that I can call and apply for more info.

March 18, 10:09
mnp13 wrote:he's dead.

I'm now waiting on all of the paperwork about the incident.

So.... the paperwork arrived today.
Here are all three pages:

Here they are in PDF format if you'd like to download them.
galleries/spbr/page1.pdf
galleries/spbr/page2.pdf
galleries/spbr/page3.pdf

The first page is an overview of my request, nothing all that interesting. It also comments that personal information was removed from the main report which wasn't a surprise.

Page 2 is the main report. I went over how to read the report with a police officer, so I'll "translate" it for easier reading.

there are four people named on the report:
Jen A - foster for the Pit Bulls
Eric Gray - owner of Smiling Pit Bull Rescue (SPBR)
Ellen C - owner 1 of the Cairn Terrier
Daniel C - owner 2 of the Cairn Terrier

Zeus, the dog in question, was a 1 1/2 year old neutered male Pit Bull.

The date of the bite was 3/8/09 and the holding period expired 3/19/09

Section 32 of the report is a narrative of the incident as recorded by the responding officer. Here it is in "plain English"
Reporting Officer requested a job card for 900 East Main St for a "dog bit dog." While at the "Pet Expo" Ellen and Daniel C's dog - "Duncan", Cairn Terrier, Blonde, 10 years, male, neutered and Jen A's Pit Bull were doing a "meet & greet" while on leashes. Jen A's dog suddenly grabbed Ellen C's dog by the head. Ellen C was able to separate the dogs, but Ellen C's dog was injured. Ellen and Daniel C took their dog to VSR for immediate treatment. Jen A brought "Zeus" in for 10 day quarentine. Smilin Pit Bull Rescue 716.536.1626

The next section is the Transfer of Custody section:
On March 8 the dog was signed over to RAS for quarentine.
On March 11 the dog was signed over to RAS perminantly. RAS does not adopt out Pit Bulls. He was euthanized the same day.

Page 3 has the details, down at the bottom in hand writing.

3/9 - Called and left message that her dog was vaccinated and she could come in to pick him up

3/10 - Jennifer will have to call rescue to have them pick up dog. She doesn't want dog back in her care if possible.

3/11 - Per Greg - either hold dog thru quarantine or euthanize and send specimen

a second comment dated 3/11 was cut off, I'm working on getting it.

So, what does this all boil down to?
A. an adult male Pit Bull was allowed to do a "meet and greet" with an unknown dog
B. The unknown dog was bit
C. the rescue couldn't produce vaccination records
D. when the vaccination records were found the dog was able to be released
E. the foster didn't want him back
F. the rescue didn't find him another place to go
G. the dog was surrendered to a shelter that does not adopt out Pit Bulls
H. the dog was dead three days after the expo
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » April 18th, 2009, 8:19 am

I am pissed off on so many levels about this. I am also heartbroken at the completely preventable loss of LIFE. I was trying to pull Zeus myself but they would only release to the owner (SPBR). If Eric (or one of his "representatives") didn't have the damn decency to pick him up and euthanize him himself, as ANY decent rescue would have done, he could have allowed him to be released to another rescue. They abandoned him to die by the hands of strangers. Completely unacceptable.

I wonder how Eric will spin this now. He's already completely blaming Jen A. for this entire thing. Because you know, Eric never has any culpability in anything.

RIP Zeus. I am so very sorry you were abandoned.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » April 18th, 2009, 8:21 am

I wish I could say I was surprised by how this all turned out, but I can't. :neutral:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » April 18th, 2009, 8:33 am

Marinepits wrote:I wish I could say I was surprised by how this all turned out, but I can't. :neutral:

That's what I'm screaming Jen. What gets me is there are so many people who have NO clue just how many dogs have died under Eric's care. The numbers are staggering.

It breaks my heart that these animals are pulled into "rescue" from usually deplorable conditions or on the brink of death on some shelter's euth list. Only to die anyway. It's so damn frustrating.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby airwalk » April 18th, 2009, 11:25 am

So very very sad. While I understand everyone's position from a rescue perspective, I hope you understand the A/C position. They can only release the dog to the "owner" and the "owner" surrendered the animal. A/C made a determination based on their adoption policy and the activity.
airwalk
I live here

Postby LMM » April 18th, 2009, 2:22 pm

My frustration is not with the A/C, I didn't imply it was. Not even in the least.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby airwalk » April 18th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Nope and I didn't mean to insinuate you did. That was for all the folks reading and not talking.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » April 18th, 2009, 2:50 pm

:topic:

Thanks, all!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » April 18th, 2009, 5:51 pm

airwalk wrote:Nope and I didn't mean to insinuate you did. That was for all the folks reading and not talking.

Gotcha. Believe me, I understand your position on this!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » April 18th, 2009, 7:30 pm

airwalk wrote:So very very sad. While I understand everyone's position from a rescue perspective, I hope you understand the A/C position. They can only release the dog to the "owner" and the "owner" surrendered the animal. A/C made a determination based on their adoption policy and the activity.

Actually, they can and do release Pit Bulls to rescues. I'm guessing the decision to euth was made because of the bite. No one is blaming animal control, 1,000% of the responsibility is on Eric Gray.

As long as we're talking about Eric, look what was found on Petfinder:
galleries/spbr/zeusPetfinder.tiff (full size image)

Yes, that is the same Zeus.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2009, 8:00 pm

ADOPTED? Is that their moon-speak for DEAD???? Bunch of jackasses. I hope the owners of the Cairn are suing his ass off. He is beyond repulsive :puke: Whatcha wanna bet he didnt even pay for Duncan's vet bill? And why didnt this chick want Zeus back in her home? Because he acted like a PIT BULL??? :rolleyes2: :bs: LEAVE THE DOGS ALONE PEOPLE! YOU ARE NOT HELPING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » April 18th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Hmm adopted hu? Interesting that he is able to get folks to keep working with him with this level of untruthfullness being very evident. There is gullible and then there is just plain being obtuse
airwalk
I live here

Postby Jenn » April 18th, 2009, 10:21 pm

:shock: WTF? What a sack of crap, and a liar.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby LMM » April 19th, 2009, 4:33 am

airwalk wrote:Hmm adopted hu? Interesting that he is able to get folks to keep working with him with this level of untruthfullness being very evident. There is gullible and then there is just plain being obtuse

This is something, quite honestly, I haven't been able to figure out thus far. All someone needs to do is just a little bit of research, ya know? Red flags are up all over the place.

I cannot believe they have him as adopted :cuss:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby madremissy » April 19th, 2009, 10:14 am

This whole thing just makes me sick. I am praying so hard that at some point this POS is found out for the POS that he is. Dogs are suffering because of him. I pray for the animals.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 19th, 2009, 10:28 am

Michelle, good job doing your homework on this issue.

Honestly, the incident at the pet expo and the dog getting euthanized does not bother me as much as the rescue listing the dog as being adopted...this man has absolutely no remorse...

I wonder how many of the other dogs listed as "adopted" are really adopted?
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby RottnPittie » April 19th, 2009, 11:31 am

I'm basically new here and really haven't posted ever but I am so angry for many reasons. I cannot stand Eric or any of his loyal followers. I'm agry at myself because I didn't know about Eric until a friend told me. I adopted a dog from SPBR in Dec and the more I learn the more frustrated I get.

I do not understand how he continues to be a "rescue" with a forum of over 100,00 people. He does all this right out in the open. How does he not get shut down? How do they people around him not feel guility? I believe in Karma.... I can't say anymore.

Cort
RottnPittie
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 19th, 2009, 3:52 pm

so, help me get this straight.....on the planet that Eric inhabits adopted = dead. What does he call the dogs that actually go to another home...and live? Or does that not happen? :?

Why not just remove the dogs profile? Why the lies? Does he EVER tell the truth? How can the people who were involved in this fiasco trust him when he so blatantly lies? What kind of people are they that this kind of thing is ok?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » April 19th, 2009, 5:20 pm

RottnPittie wrote:I'm basically new here and really haven't posted ever but I am so angry for many reasons. I cannot stand Eric or any of his loyal followers. I'm agry at myself because I didn't know about Eric until a friend told me. I adopted a dog from SPBR in Dec and the more I learn the more frustrated I get.

But learning, seeing and actually admitting the truth is the most important thing. Spreading it is the next thing to do.

I do not understand how he continues to be a "rescue" with a forum of over 100,00 people. He does all this right out in the open. How does he not get shut down? How do they people around him not feel guility? I believe in Karma.... I can't say anymore.

The forum seems to be populated with people who:
1. are completely ignorant of the truth
2. know the truth and cover their eyes
3. know the truth and make excuses for him
4. know the truth and think it's perfectly ok.

All but #1 are excusable - and it's our job to make sure that there are no number 1's. We can't make people actually listen, but we can tell them the truth and point them in the direction of the proof.

He hasn't been shut down because though any reasonable person would see that his and his followers actions are extremely unethical, very little of what he is doing is actually illegal.

It's not illegal to keep dogs in crates 24/7 unless they are actually being mistreated. Even if they are, he would only get a ticket the first time. Law enforcement can't just burst in, they have to have a warrent, and they have to prove that it is an ongoing problem, not a one-up. It's not illegal to double crate Pit Bulls, it's just irresponsible. It's not illegal to lie about adoptions, to irresponsibly place hundreds of puppies a year, to abandon foster homes when they have problems, it's just unethical. It is illegal to break contracts with volunteers, but who is going to file a lawsuit?

Wyldmoonwoman wrote:Michelle, good job doing your homework on this issue.

Thanks, the whole issue sickens me. I also had some help, so can't take all the credit. ;)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk