Emergency Plans for your Dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby SisMorphine » February 20th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Recently on another board a girl had to leave her bad living situation and her APBT was dropped at a shelter by someone else (but on her request). MANY people from the board tried to get the dog out of the shelter, and even before it was dropped at the shelter rescues were being spoken with and transports were being set up to get the dog to a foster home. She claimed she couldn't wait another minute and had no other choice by to drop the dog at the shelter. He was PTS that day, alone and scared and for no reason at all.

So I know we all have gone through what to do with our dogs if we met an unfortunate demise . . . but what if you meet unfortunate circumstances? What if something happens to your living situation, or money-wise something happens that was unforeseen?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » February 20th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Mine are coming to live w/you, of course. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 20th, 2009, 9:53 pm

I'd live out of my car before parting with Inara, but when Ohio first proposed the state-wide breed ban a few EXTREMELY generous people from this board offered to come get her ASAP if necessary.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » February 20th, 2009, 9:55 pm

amazincc wrote:Mine are coming to live w/you, of course. :wink:

Well DUH!!! They're my Bowie-children ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » February 20th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Mine have loads of options. My parents would always back me up, even though I know they really can't handle the energy and responsibility that comes with owning my two. Liisa has already attempted to steal Teeny more than once, but their breeders would take them back in a heartbeat, and I'm sure I could bribe Britney into temporarily housing them. I know Christine would take them, just as I'll be taking hers, no doubt. I also have about a gabillion friends up here who would take them on if necessary, and even could board them at work temporarily.

My dogs will never see the inside of a shelter or rescue. And will never be PTS for no good reason like poor Reggin (RIP).
SisMorphine

Postby AllAmericanPUP » February 20th, 2009, 10:16 pm

My brother gary would take sheeba if he was in position to and my parents would keep henry but other than that i dont know :|

If worse came to worse and my parents lost their house(wich is where my dogs live) then i guess i'd move to Wisconsin with my friend who has a big house and huge yard....that'd pretty much be my only option if i became homeless.

I know no matter what they would never be dropped off at the shelter or anywhere else. I'd go through hell and high water to keep them with me.

I'm in a pretty crappy situation right now with no job and no money but luckily my brothers help me buy dog food and such so my dogs do not go without.

Finding a job is looking glimmer everyday :sad2:
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby BigDogBuford » February 20th, 2009, 10:19 pm

My boss knows he'll be stuck with all of my fucktards should something happen to me.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Hoyden » February 20th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Well, I can say that fights would break out over who would get Birdie. Two of my friends from the Renaissance Faire got into an argument over who would give her the best home if something ever happened and she needed to be housed immediately. Birdie snubbed them both and curled up in the cook's jacket.

My parents would take her in a heartbeat. My Dad keeps telling me that I need to leave her with them so she can have a vacation and has flat out told me that when Birdie is ready to retire, she should come live with them. Their house is the ONLY place that I allow people to feed the dog from the table. And they feed her with their own forks. EWWWW!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby madremissy » February 20th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Where ever I go, my dogs will go. If we have to live out of Travis's hunting camper under a bridge somewhere that is where they will be. I know my parents would take them even though I would worry about Kinzyl jerking my mom down the sidewalk.
I wouldn't trust anyone of my friends here in town but I would trust anybody on this board if they were willing to take them.
I would do the same for anybody here if need be :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2009, 4:01 am

well, Oscar could stay at work, or, in the car for a day or two - assuming it was in a more rural area and not in a city side street.
I know our SPCA here has boarded dogs for people fallen on hard times, wich is lovely of them to do.
However, I would not want my dog in a shelter. I doubt that he would handle it well and would most likely become extremely stressed and intreverted.

I currently can think of maybe 2 people I would trust with him, but they are not really prepared to take him on. Actually, I can think of a lady who has a large property and breeds and shows (who currently has tons of Karelian Bear dogs and used to have lots of Pits), and I think, from the sounds of it, he might be content (and safe) there, and she would probably taken him, though I've never broached the subject.

Its difficult. Over the last year or 2, he has become very attached to me, I can't really see him ok with anyone else other then Wes or me :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » February 21st, 2009, 7:11 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:My boss knows he'll be stuck with all of my fucktards should something happen to me.

Now THAT is job security!

I trust no one with Munkee so he would live with me in the car if we had to. Justice & Ollie would go with my daughter to her dad's or to my neice's house. I'd probably end up there myself
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » February 21st, 2009, 7:59 pm

Scooter is easy, I can think of at least a dozen people that would take him and provide a wonderful home...Magic, well he's a tiny bit harder but even he I can think of at least 3 or 4. The top one would be my son (assuming my husband isn't able to keep them) - because why else did I feed him all those years?
airwalk
I live here

Postby Mickle » February 21st, 2009, 8:07 pm

Sis I would take any of your dogs in a heartbeat! My family would be more than happy to help if it was necessary and I have friends who would take dogs if needed.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » February 21st, 2009, 8:33 pm

I'd have work - and some of my coworkers could probably take her, boarding kennel (depending on funds), my mom could do it temporarily, my sister would be nice enough to deal with 3 dogs for a while if I asked her, and I have a few friends who could take her in temporarily (although their cats would throw a sh*t fit).

Seriously, some of us have more resources - animal-linked jobs or hobbies which create contacts... That really helps. But I find that some effort in 1) making sure your animal is well-bahaved with people you know, 2)regular good PR and 3)making some efforts - these usually help in having backup. Of course chance can turn the wrong way, but hey planning ahead and doing some "good publicity" with people around you really increase your chances of not being stuck living in your car with your dog.

Or, like a client last week, bringing your dog to the WRONG clinic to get him euthanized (cause he bit your kid who was pulling his tail and ears - I would do the same if a little gnat pulled at my appendages)... Anybody looking for a really lovely, well-behaved, big dog attitude, knows sit-down-come 3 year old Pomeranian named Rex?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby CH_Venom » February 22nd, 2009, 11:03 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Recently on another board a girl had to leave her bad living situation and her APBT was dropped at a shelter by someone else (but on her request). MANY people from the board tried to get the dog out of the shelter, and even before it was dropped at the shelter rescues were being spoken with and transports were being set up to get the dog to a foster home. She claimed she couldn't wait another minute and had no other choice by to drop the dog at the shelter. He was PTS that day, alone and scared and for no reason at all.

So I know we all have gone through what to do with our dogs if we met an unfortunate demise . . . but what if you meet unfortunate circumstances? What if something happens to your living situation, or money-wise something happens that was unforeseen?

If I was leaving a bad situation, sounds like this person left maybe an SO or parents or some place that wasn't a good environment to live. If it was something similar I would leave when I could, which is when I had a place set up (just rent somewhere nothing fancy) that allowed dogs and Pit Bulls specifically. I wouldn't just take my dog to be PTS, no way I could do that.

If it was something less drastic such as finances like reduced or little income thats a concern but not really with my dogs. They'd just stay here with me, they don't want for luxury items, its harder for people to get on with less then it is dogs.
CH_Venom
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » February 23rd, 2009, 9:54 am

I would live in a dirt heap before I gave up my dog.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » February 23rd, 2009, 4:11 pm

Tina Martin wrote:I would live in a dirt heap before I gave up my dog.

ditto

If it was 100,000% unavoidable and I didn't have secure other arrangements I would have them put down before they would go to a shelter or rescue situation.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby odnarb » February 23rd, 2009, 5:18 pm

Harry could go back to his breeder, but since Lora passed away Grant doesn't have a breeder that could take him.

Who wants him? :D
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » February 23rd, 2009, 5:21 pm

odnarb wrote:Harry could go back to his breeder, but since Lora passed away Grant doesn't have a breeder that could take him.

Who wants him? :D

Twist my arm..... :D
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to Pit Bull Talk