RAS APBT Ordinance, on CraigList

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 31st, 2009, 12:11 pm

People are now noticing that RAS kills most of the APBT that end up there.
They want to petition it. I personally do not think RAS should adopt them out, there is way too much a$$ holes around, and RAS has no experience with testing and such. (And I met some of the workers there, and they are not the brightest when it comes to APBTs at all)
But I think they should be able to be pulled by a rescue, foster, or a shelter that adopts them out, that have experience with APBTs. Check it out before they all get flagged, see if you can help in any way.
Here are some of the posts:

According to RAS newsletter "the City of Rochester does not authorize the adoption of “pit bulls” from the shelter, so those that are not re-claimed are euthanized."

So if you disagree with the city on this issue, it is up to us as residents to call the Mayor and city council about this.

It is unfair for these dogs to have an automatic death sentence. I couldn't in good conscious now call animal control if I saw a pit bull wondering the streets, I mean animal controls definition of a pit bull is "Pit bulls are a large category of dogs that includes Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, and a variety of bull terrier and mastiff mixed breeds."
I guess I would call Lollypop and hope their animal control unit comes out to the city in that case

I agree, we need to petition city hall to change the ordinance. At lease allow transfers to lollypop, or another rescue instead of automatically euthanizing the dogs, if there is concern re: adopting to city residents, or other liability isses.

Is there a rescue group out there that would be willing to head this up, and get signatures?

I will be contacting Smilin' Pit Bull Rescue, they work in CT, NY, NJ and travel to where rescues are needed. They may have some ideas of how to get organized and pushed the city to get rid of this obscene ordinance to kill all pit bulls and pit bull type dogs, puppies, and pregnant dogs in their shelter.

I'm thinking if we could get some kind of rally started, where responsible pit owners bring out their dogs and we have signs and what not, it would be hard to ignore.

In the meantime, this is a city issue, RAS has no option as their hands are tied by the city. So repeated contact to the Mayor and other local politicians is a must.
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 31st, 2009, 3:14 pm

Where are those quotes from? SPBR is not exactly the most responsible rescue.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » January 31st, 2009, 3:29 pm

mnp13 wrote:Where are those quotes from? SPBR is not exactly the most responsible rescue.

Understatement of the century.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 31st, 2009, 3:44 pm

Off of the rochester Craigs-list in the pet section. you got to read some of the ignorant $hit on there!!
:mad2:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/pet/

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » January 31st, 2009, 3:54 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Where are those quotes from? SPBR is not exactly the most responsible rescue.

Understatement of the century.

Werd.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » January 31st, 2009, 4:00 pm

If you get SPBR involved the dogs are better off staying in the shelter. They only want pregnant dogs anyway so they can sell the puppies & dump the mamas back on the shelter. :bs:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 31st, 2009, 4:28 pm

Oh I am not the one that posted about the SPBR.
That is just one of the posts on there. I posted the Pit Bull Myth one.

o and the best one yet!
"...and when a thunderstorm spooks this abused "puppy" in your kid's bed, and your 5 year old gets mauled in their sleep, you will only have yourself to thank.

Don't you read? People are attacked every day by all kinds of "amature trained" dogs, and these idiots all say the same thing...."I never expected it, he was always so calm, so good with people and the kids. Why did he have to rip poor Shaniqua's face off like that? It's just not like him."

Because he's a pit bull, you dingbat. They may not be bred to fight, but they ARE bred with jaws that lock on HARD with 2500 pounds of force, and they DON'T LET GO!!! "

I hate people. How do you think we would go about allowing APBTs to be pulled by a rescue? I think that would be a good start.

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » January 31st, 2009, 9:23 pm

I have already begun a line of communication with RAS on this issue. I'm currently working with a few people at Best Friends to create a plan of attack.

So now SPBR is going to save the pit bulls in Rochester huh? :rolleyes2:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 31st, 2009, 10:25 pm

LMM wrote:I have already begun a line of communication with RAS on this issue. I'm currently working with a few people at Best Friends to create a plan of attack.

So now SPBR is going to save the pit bulls in Rochester huh? :rolleyes2:

Thats great!
I never heard of the SPBR, are they really that bad?

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » January 31st, 2009, 10:33 pm

Google it here, you'll see what everyone is talking about.

I will say that not ALL of SPBR is bad, just the founder. He's a douchebag supremo.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to Pit Bull Talk