Dog Cloning

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby fenella » January 28th, 2009, 9:16 pm

I know this is about a yellow lab and not a PB, but I didn't know where this post was supposed to go :|

Have you seen the story about the Florida couple that spent over $100,000 to have their dog cloned?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28873003/

I mean, they are certainly free to do with their money as they wish, but this story made me so sad.
I understand missing a dog that you loved and wanting to have it back, but this dog isn't necessarily going to be the same! Look at identical twins.

I really wish they had given another dog a chance to become a part of their family. How wonderful would it have been to adopt another dog and give a $100,000 donation to a shelter in honor of their beloved dog? :nono:
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I saw them on the Today show this morning. The figure they quoted on the program was about $150,000. The husband's father co-founded NASCAR, they have plenty of money :|

They are a little deluded about the puppy. They said that all the other dogs in the house already "know" him, that he is "leading the pack" already, etc.

When you're a multi-millionaire, $150,000 isn't a big deal.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby AllAmericanPUP » January 28th, 2009, 10:53 pm

amazing how this yellow lab looks just like their other yellow lab....what an insane concept :nono:

seriously people!!?

should've taken their 150,000, went and adopted a yellow lab pup from a rescue and gave it to them..they wouldnt have known the difference!
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2009, 11:57 pm

AllAmericanPUP wrote:should've taken their 150,000, went and adopted a yellow lab pup from a rescue and gave it to them..they wouldnt have known the difference!

you might be on to something there.....

I should open a Lab cloning lab! who would know the difference? :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » January 29th, 2009, 1:01 am

The first thing I thought when I saw this on the news this morning: They should rescue/adopt a lab from the shelter or rescue and then donate the other 150,000 to some shelter. It's a way better way to make your dog live on forever.

I mean, they can do as they wish with their own money. But I get annoyed when rich people make stupid decisions with their money. I mean..C'MON!
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » January 29th, 2009, 9:37 pm

:puke: I got sick when I heard this story. Yeah the original lab died from cancer. Would have been nice if they donated that 150,000 to dog cancer research.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 29th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Here's the thing...

To a poor person, you spending money on a $50 dinner at a restaurant is a "waste of money" and you should eat at home and make "better use" of your money by giving it to a homeless shelter.

It all depends on your perspective.

I don't have a "problem" with the money they spent, more that they somehow were lead to believe that they would "get their dog back." A million things go into personality, not just a genetic code.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby fenella » January 30th, 2009, 4:16 pm

I agree. While I do think that it is a waste (poor person here) and that giving to another cause would be better (my view), I agree that the bigger issue here is that they somehow think that they have their dog back.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jcoffey917 » February 6th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I read on CNN that over the years they have donated about $300,000 to their local shelter, so at least they are helping there as well.
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk