Kennel???

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2006, 8:12 am

Okay, I'm going to visit my dad and stepmom over Memorial Day weekend. He's only met Inara once, but he loved her. My stepmom, OTOH, was terrified. Now I'm either going to have to convince them to let me bring Inara to their house (which I think would take an act of God) or kennel her, as I don't trust anybody I know to take care of a pit bull responsibly for a weekend (is that snotty-sounding?).
So...any ideas on how to convince dad and step-mom to let Inara come visit (she'd be crated and all that good stuff!)?
If not, how do I locate a reputable kennel? And is there an average price for a stay???
Thanks for any assistance!!!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 28th, 2006, 8:50 am

Check to see if they have covered tops.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 28th, 2006, 10:29 am

All of the kennels around me start at $15 per dog per night. There are cheaper ones, but I have yet to find one that is less than $13, and I would never let my dogs stay there
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » April 28th, 2006, 11:28 am

mnp13 wrote:All of the kennels around me start at $15 per dog per night. There are cheaper ones, but I have yet to find one that is less than $13, and I would never let my dogs stay there

Holy crap that's cheap!!

Kennels around here run $25-$35 a night, no frills. If you want your dog out of the run it's usually an extra couple of bucks each time.

Check for knowledgable staff, ask if they are familiar with the pit bull breed, as about how they eliminate (if they have outdoor runs or if they have outdoor time), check on if they do group play or not, what their emergency policy is . . . I could go on and on.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitprincess » April 28th, 2006, 12:54 pm

all the ones by me are 35 to start...no cheaper........but some allow your dog to be part of the doggie day care during the day for no extra cost.
pitprincess
Just Whelped

Postby SpiritFngrz » April 28th, 2006, 2:28 pm

My MIL is afraid of Satin too, but I think it's because she has a little teeny-weenie Yorkie that she thinks Satin is going to eat up. And because Satin growls playfully when she has a toy in her mouth. Not aggressive, just being sassy.
Shouldn't they get used to Inara? I mean geez, if you crate her when need be what is the big deal?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby bullymommy » April 28th, 2006, 2:39 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:My MIL is afraid of Satin too, but I think it's because she has a little teeny-weenie Yorkie that she thinks Satin is going to eat up. And because Satin growls playfully when she has a toy in her mouth. Not aggressive, just being sassy.
Shouldn't they get used to Inara? I mean geez, if you crate her when need be what is the big deal?

i agree!!!

no offense but this is how i look at it- Inara is your daughter. so would you leave your human kid home because her step grandma doesnt like her? i know i sure as hell wouldnt!

hannah and chub are no different than my son spencer when i go on trips they go on trips.

again i mean no offense that is just what i would feel and think and do!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback...
my stepmom runs her house like Martha Stewart - I'm sure that on top of her being terrified of my vicious dog, she'd be equally terrified of dirt! :wink:

Trust me, I am going to argue long and hard about bringing her with me. However, my family doesn't view her as a child - they view her as a dog. I will bet money my dad will offer to pay for the kennel for her for the weekend. But I say again that I am going to do my best to bring her with me. I just don't trust anybody else with her...

Thanks again!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby bahamutt99 » April 28th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Honestly, were I in that situation, I'd tell them that if they can't accept the whole family, I guess I don't need to visit. Boarding once is not really that big of a deal, but do you really want to have to do it everytime you go to visit? IMO, if they are going to be like that, I'd leave it up to them to come visit you.

But I'm hardcore like that. If I'm going to be spending more than 8 hours away from the house, I'm packing up crates, leads, bowls, food, pillows, dog sweaters, extra collars, etc etc etc. LOL.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Purple » April 28th, 2006, 9:36 pm

We haven't been on any kind of vacation in years.......my parents want no part of my dogs in their house, so, I don't visit. It irks them to no end. They live in FL, come up to visit over the summer, they stay with my sister, she has human children.
I completely understand!
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2006, 9:46 pm

This is going to sound extremely childish, but I'm my dad's only child, and I'm very much daddy's little girl, so I HATE doing anything to make him disappointed. Threatening not to come visit would kill him (and me). They've been working in Puerto Rico, and they're only home for 2 weeks at a time, a few times a year. So I have to go.
Anybody have any suggestions on how to convince them to let me bring her? I really don't want to do a kennel (though one of my friends gave me the name of one she HIGHLY recommends). :|
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Hartagold AmStaffs » April 29th, 2006, 1:25 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote: So I have to go.
Anybody have any suggestions on how to convince them to let me bring her? I really don't want to do a kennel (though one of my friends gave me the name of one she HIGHLY recommends). :|

If you don't want to board, and you must go......remember it IS their house, and they have every right not to want your dog there. Simple solution....... get a motel room near your parents' house. Take your crates and toys, etc..... and stay at the hotel, but visit your parents. That's what I do, and it makes life easier for everyone. Motel 6 is great, they all take dogs, as do some other chains.

Otherwise go to http://www.abka.com for help with selecting a boarding kennel. But don't wait too long, most of the good ones book up months in advance (mine books up 3-4 months ahead for holidays/summertime)

:D
Hartagold AmStaffs
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 29th, 2006, 7:45 am

Hmmmm...I didn't think about a hotel. And thank you for that link!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby SisMorphine » April 29th, 2006, 8:37 am

I would tell them that you'll bring a crate and she can stay in a room that can be shut off, but you don't feel comfortable leaving her at a kennel so you really do have to bring her.

My mother was very against me getting a dog at first. Now I'm not allowed to go visit them if I don't bring Wally! He even has his own embroidered bed there. Rediculous.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Sariss » April 29th, 2006, 12:15 pm

Some Animal Hospitals have pretty good kennels. Just make sure that they are separate from the sickies (they always are).
If you get lucky, maybe an overnight clinic does boarding, then people will be there all day!
Sariss
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby call2arms » April 29th, 2006, 12:54 pm

If you do choose a kennel, you MUST visit first. A LOT of places are all nice and sound perfect on the phone, but once you visit... Eww.

Obviously you want to check if it's clean, secure, and if the crates are filled with wood shavings, DO NOT board there... It generally means they have "absorbant bedding" in case the dogs pee in their cage... Well, the dog should be taken out often so it won't have to relieve itself inside...

I would make sure they have a fenced-in run for the dogs to go potty in, as some places hand-walk the dogs and I can tell you they make it as quick as possible...

IMO it's worth paying more for a good service.

OOH... And I would make sure the staff gets it in their thick heads that if your dog is not allowed to play with other dogs, he IS NOT... My boyfriend once picked up Jessie at a boarding facility only to find her playing wit another dog, when I had specified TWICE that she was not allowed...

Personnally I would choose the hotel... :wink:
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby bahamutt99 » April 30th, 2006, 3:23 am

I second the hotel idea. Sounds like a good compromise. One thing you may have to think about though; some dog people wont leave their dogs in the hotel room, crated or not. I've done it before, but never for more than an hour or two. When you visit them, could you set her up comfortably in the car, the yard, or crate her in the house?
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Purple » April 30th, 2006, 8:44 am

But if you do stay and they let you crate her in the bedroom, offer to bring old quilts to lay on the floor, so no nasty dog germs will get on the rug....
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 30th, 2006, 9:33 am

Thanks again for all the feedback - Purple, I like the quilts idea. Baha, I'm not comfortable leaving her in the car or outside alone - I don't trust her, and though my parents live in a beautiful neighborhood, I know there are kids and dogs around them. Not that she would hurt either, but still, no unsupervised contact with anyone! I think I'm going to call today or tomorrow and broach the subject with them. I just have to stand firm as I do feel strongly about it. *sigh* Parents... :|
pitbullmamaliz

Postby SisMorphine » April 30th, 2006, 10:07 am

Have they met Inara at all yet?
SisMorphine

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk