I Need Help/Information On Transporting My Dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullski » April 18th, 2006, 2:23 pm

I'm moving from St Louis, MO to Lubbock, TX in the first 2 weeks of May. I have 3 Pit Bulls that I'm taking with me.

I've called many Car Rental places & have found out that:

#1 - I can't rent a van (cargo) the size that I need because of the Patriot Act

#2 - I cannot rent a van to transport dogs across state lines because it is illegal (this only applys in MO)

There is one company that will transport the dogs for us, but they put them in crates & transport them in flatbed trucks that are tarped.

Someone else has suggested that we rent a regular truck, put them in crates, in the back of the truck & tarp it.

The tempuratures at this time of year are between 84 & 100 degrees. My dogs are house dogs, they are not used to these conditions.

I want to transport my dogs myself.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

I WILL NOT LEAVE MY DOGS BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pitbullski
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » April 18th, 2006, 2:29 pm

do you own a car? if you own a car, then transport them in your car with you driving, and have a friend drive a van to transport the furniture and stuff..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 18th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Rent a big station wagon and put down the back seats, or an SUV and put down the seats. That way you can fit 3 crates (I'm assuming you're crating) and they'll be in ac and it WON'T be a van. Or if you know anyone who knows truck drivers some will transport in their cab (usually only one at a time, though) so that they have some company.

Either way you'll still have to figure out moving van stuff, but at least you'll have the dogs taken care of.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Rent an SUV & pull a Uhaul behind it for your belongings.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I was thinking maybe you could rent a minivan? :| The seats often fold down flat or slide so maybe they could accomdate your dogs.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Carla » April 18th, 2006, 2:35 pm

pitbullski wrote:#1 - I can't rent a van (cargo) the size that I need because of the Patriot Act

#2 - I cannot rent a van to transport dogs across state lines because it is illegal (this only applys in MO)

Really? You can't rent a cargo van at all? Why do those companies even exist if you can't rent one?

You can't transport ANY dog across state lines in a rented vehicle? There must be show people that do this once in a while....car breaks down, etc...

When you rent the vehicle, how do THEY know what you are going to transport in it?

Carla
Carla
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » April 18th, 2006, 2:38 pm

Carla wrote:muWhen you rent the vehicle, how do THEY know what you are going to transport in it?

Exactly - just don't tell them, it's none of their business anyway.

I son't know of any rental companies that have pet policies in the first place.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 2:43 pm

That's why I suggested a minivan---windows may be the issue with cargo vans if it's a Patriot Act issue, (which does seem odd).

The transporting of dogs in a rented car may just be that one rental companies policy due to liability issues. Check another rental company.

Lastly, I'd look up the tranporting laws for your state and for the new state, just to avoid any grief once you figure out the actual transporting issue.

Good luck!!
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 18th, 2006, 2:46 pm

a-bull wrote:The transporting of dogs in a rented car may just be that one rental companies policy due to liability issues. Check another rental company.

Call separately and just ask if they have a policy against animals in the car. Leave the 'state lines' thing out of it. I've done a lot of transports, and all we have ever needed is rabies proof and vet records. No one has EVER checked though... and they are your dogs, so who cares?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 2:57 pm

So far this is all I can find regarding transporting into Texas:

entry purposes only, dogs and cats traveling into the state may be inoculated against rabies with killed, modified live, or recombinant vaccine. Once in Texas, if a USDA-approved vaccine was not used, compliance must be achieved. For entry into Texas, the following criteria must be met:

* at the time of vaccination, the animal was at least the minimum age prescribed for the vaccine; and
* the vaccination was given not more than 12 or 36 months (depending on the vaccine used) prior to travel.

If the animal is a dog that is arriving from another country and is less than three months of age, the U.S. Public Health Service requires that it be confined at home until it reaches three months of age, at which time the animal must be vaccinated against rabies and confined for an additional 30 days. Regardless of the animal's age, if the initial vaccination was given less than 30 days prior to arrival in the U.S., the animal will be required to be confined for the balance of the 30 days. Confinement restrictions may not apply to animals that have been in a rabies free area for at least six months prior to arrival or since birth. The Division of Quarantine of the U.S. Public Health Service may be contacted at (404) 639-8107 or http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm for additional information.

Doesn't seem like a very big deal.

Can any Texans give us more info.???

No wonder people think Massachusetts transporting laws are tough if that's what other states are like . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 3:03 pm

As long as it is vaccintaed against rabies we don't care what you bring. On top of that, no one checks anyway unless your dog becomes a problem.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 3:05 pm

oh, thanks Cheeky . . . I didn't realize you were a Texan. Do you have big hair?? :neener:

and I found the following rental companies that 'claim' they allow dogs . . .

Enterprise (800-261-7331), Budget (800-527-0700), and Avis (800-352-7900): These rental car companies allow dogs with no fee unless there is special clean up or damage required. The fees will vary depending on the damage. They also suggest you vacuum the car before returning it if there is a lot of hair.

Hertz (800-654-3131), Alamo (800-GO-ALAMO): Dogs are allowed, there are no scheduled cleaning fees, but individual rental locations policies may vary.

Dollar (800-800-5252), National (800-CAR RENT) and Thrifty (800-THRIFTY) all want the dogs in a crate at all times they are in the vehicle, or they will charge a cleaning fee. It varies depending on how much clean up. There should be none if they are crated. The extra cleaning fee for Dollar is anywhere from $50 to $100. None of the other rental car companies would specify the potential fee.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 3:07 pm

No but I AM a blonde! :)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bustersmama » April 18th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Just FYI

Sprinfiled MO just passed BSL 5-3. I hope thats not where you are going. :(
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby bustersmama » April 18th, 2006, 6:25 pm

bustersmama wrote:Just FYI

Sprinfiled MO just passed BSL 5-3. I hope thats not where you are going. :(

and nevermind - I am such a skimmer!

I am glad you are getting OUT of MO.

:oops: please reinstate the edit button for freaking idiots like myself :oops:
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby girlie » April 18th, 2006, 6:36 pm

I've used enterprise, they are pretty cool. Does Uhaul still rent vans, or is that within the patriot act as well?

Oh and a-bull....there will be no cracking on the Texas blondes!! We have a tendancy to stick together when the lone satr is in question. :P
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 6:52 pm

pitcess wrote:I've used enterprise, they are pretty cool. Does Uhaul still rent vans, or is that within the patriot act as well?

Oh and a-bull....there will be no cracking on the Texas blondes!! We have a tendancy to stick together when the lone satr is in question. :P

lol . . . so I can't ask if you have a big hat or were once a cheerleader?? :wink3: oh, and beauty pagents?
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby girlie » April 18th, 2006, 7:08 pm

a-bull wrote:
pitcess wrote:I've used enterprise, they are pretty cool. Does Uhaul still rent vans, or is that within the patriot act as well?

lol . . . so I can't ask if you have a big hat or were once a cheerleader?? :wink3: oh, and beauty pagents?

NICE......don't own a cowboy hat, was never a cheerleader (i was a real athlete), was never in beauty pagents (did do some modeling though...but that's diff)

Other typical misconceptions...hehe:
no i don't ride a horse to work
no i do not have an oil well in my yard, nor do i come from oil money
i have never owned a cadilac, and if i did...no i would not put horns on it

I do however have a tendancy to say ya'll in just about every sentence. I also say "big 'ol", "ooo wee", "fixin ta" and yeah i could eat BBQ just about everyday. :D
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 7:18 pm

No caddy with horns?? Disappointing . . . :(
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » April 18th, 2006, 7:22 pm

a-bull wrote:No caddy with horns?? Disappointing . . . :(

Not a real Texan....ba humbug...
Purple
I live here

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk