Anyone use invisible fencing?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 3:01 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I just wanted to add that I have no fence. I leash walk for everything. It sucks. I deal.

There is an IF on the property already, fully functioning. All I would have to do is purchase a collar for Halo. But I won't. He will be leash walked until the day that I fence in the yard, along with Wally and Venus.

Well, and like I said, my current two dogs aren't on it, and yet I still have it completely set up on my property and could easily use it if I wanted.

Gotta know your dog . . . . I used it for a behavorial issue, (extreme seperation anxeity and containment issues), but I don't think it's appropriate for the two dogs I currently have.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 18th, 2006, 4:02 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Thank You A bull and Lisa. This helps me with making a decision too. SInce the area where I wanted to put this type of fencing is a large area of my side yard. Since a private dead end road runs in front of my house it is rare that anyone is walking by or driving by other than one neighbor who is a night owl. I feel this would give the freedom to be off leash and the confidence that ROcky wont take off down the street. the rest of the road is also very quiet. I would be interested in the proper way to train a dog for this. ANd which is the best IF.

I think that Flexi's have their place (like somewhere quiet when your dog won't poop if you're looking at it and you can't let the dog be unrestrained) as well as IF.
We used IF very successfully in a remote area where I knew no other dogs would be wandering in, and where we had Libby whose favorite game was to RUN away! The GSD's were homebodies and didn't need it, but Libby needed it and it worked great with her.
It sounds as if alot of owners out there aren't training their dogs to use it properly. If that's the case then it won't be effective. They come with a video and PLENTY of instructions to be able to use it properly.
I have recommended it to home owners who have fenced yards when their dog jumps over the fence or digs under. I've also recommended fencing and kennels to owners with IF that you could see was not going to work for that area and that dog.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 18th, 2006, 6:38 pm

I have no fence either. I will be dog fencing in a wooden horse fence, but that is away from the house, and Tess can climb a 6 foot chain link fence. So it will be used when I am outside gardening and can keep an eye on them. Right now we either go out on or off lead to potty (on lead at night), and we play frisbee for exercise off lead, but we have 3 acres of lawn. They do not get to just hang out in the sun, which is what I am installing the dog fence for.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 8:38 am

As for the meter man you can opt to read the meter yourself and send it in.
If I do IF Rocky wont go to the front of the house.
Its IF or he is off lead no fence in this part of the yard. There is rarely people around to be disturbed.
I know of someone with 56 acres who just has her compost area contained with IF so the dogs dont get sick.
It does sound like alot of training so I will consider if I am up to that. I was thinking of doing some solid fence and some IF. My Husband prizes his lawn. We lived in apartments all our lives till we got our own house. His humungus industrial lawn mower needs lots of space. So putting up fencing is going to take much thought for layout. Since most of my property is on the sides of my house instead of the back.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » April 26th, 2006, 9:26 am

Oh, I never knew that about meter reading . . . interesting.

Yeah, I guess you can even use I.F. in your home if there are areas you don't want your pets to go . . . . and they even have I.F. for cats, (or atleast they did).
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk