Traveling with your dogs?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Cuda » April 11th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Heres a website that has A LOT of info on dog friendly accomodations. They list DF Hotels, Beaches, Parks, B&B's

All sorts of great places here

http://www.dogfriendly.com
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby PittieLove » April 11th, 2006, 9:11 pm

i always wanted to travel with my dog.
there not just dogs, they are Pit Bulls :rolleyes2:
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 11th, 2006, 9:14 pm

great link thanks!! just make sure to double check that PIT BULLS are included in that dog friendly list...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 11th, 2006, 9:15 pm

PittieLove wrote:i always wanted to travel with my dog.
there not just dogs, they are Pit Bulls :rolleyes2:

You'd be surprised how many places allow dogs to stay

Thanks for the link ... I'm going to take a peek.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 9:19 pm

We take our dogs everywhere. They are in crates since even if it's petfriendly, our two GSDs, an Aussie, a Sheltie mix and a doxie might overwhelm even the most petfriendly hotel ;)
I remember when I was younger, my first husband and I were traveling with my parents and I brought Pepper, my Springer Spaniel, along everywhere too. At one motel, the desk gal looked out the window and saw her sitting in my car. She flipped out and was all "There's no dogs allowed here!!"
I started to say that when we stayed at a NON-petfriendly motel, we left her in the car but my dad stopped me and just told her "That's fine, we won't be needing the rooms after all!!!" (He always set a great example for me!)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 11th, 2006, 9:21 pm

and, make sure you dont travel thru a state that has a bsl ban on pits too...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 11th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Do you all crate your dogs while traveling? I got Vicki a slightly larger crate for the car (she doesn't like being in a small crate at ALL) but it's going to take up the WHOLE cargo area, I think!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 11th, 2006, 10:08 pm

I have seat belts for mine but Munkee ends up screaming like he is dying in his so he rides free style.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » April 11th, 2006, 10:20 pm

I have seat belts for mine but Munkee ends up screaming like he is dying in his so he rides free style.

LOL Oh munkee, you bit tough Pit Bull.

I also have a seat belt for mine, he doesn't love it, but then you can have the windows rolled down farther! Plus your dog is safe in an accident!

I guess it depends on their behavior when left alone and how much you think you'll be able to supervise them...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby concreterose » April 11th, 2006, 10:26 pm

I mean like road trips.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby girlie » April 11th, 2006, 10:42 pm

My girl had a seat belt, but she ate it on our most recent road trip. :rolleyes2:
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » April 11th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Thats what I meant too :|

Like if you had a trip that involved business you might not be able to with them and might need a crate for the hotel room or the car. But if its just a vacation style trip then (depending on your dog) you could probably do without the crate

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ellie@ny » April 11th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Great site!Thanx!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 7:57 am

i use either a seat belt harness or a crate, if i am going long distance, like 3 hours or more, i seat belt rufus in the back seat. he just stays there anyway and doesnt roam around.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 8:49 am

For any trip I hook Inara's harness up to a seat belt so she'll be safe and can't try to climb in my lap. I'm envious of all of you with cars/SUV's big enough to fit crates in! Only way her crate is going in mine is disassembled! :wink:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby bahamutt99 » April 12th, 2006, 8:59 am

I used to crate Loki for trips. But its easier just to let her ride on the seat most of the time. I do bring a crate along though, because you never know when you're going to need one.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby concreterose » April 12th, 2006, 9:50 am

I have an outback wagon. I bought an suv barrier for the cargo area and was going to leave her loose back there. All she does is look out the window. Think that will be safe?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 12th, 2006, 10:01 am

Test the barrier. I have an Outback, and I borrowed the barrier that is made for that model. The dogs can wedge their heads in and push the whole thing out in order to climb up front. It is easier for me, and more storage capacity, to just use crates. I can fit two plastic ones side by side, a small one for Tallulah and a medium one for Tess. They are not large,but we stop and walk the dogs every few hours.

Also, if we stop for lunch, we can just open all the windows and sometimes the hatch and they have plenty of air. (we sit where we can see the dogs) I always crate the bullies when we stay in hotels, although Tess would sleep with me if she could, but she is too big ;-) Tallulah will pace for hours unless crated, then she falls right asleep. It is a security thing with her. Crates are our friends!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 10:07 am

I have an Outback Sport, the only way I can fit crates is if I have the seats folded down so the back area is completely flat. I can fit two medium sized crates (for the boys) in there in a T, with enough room for Ruby to ride next to the front one.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » April 12th, 2006, 10:08 am

I got This barrier. I've been using it for a couple of weeks with no problems. She will stick her head through and rest it on the top of the seat, but hasn't tried to move it at all. As long as she has a window, she's fine. Being in crates outside of my home stresses her (I am beginning to see some signs of crate aggression, I cover her crate up at training, she will bark at people she doesn't know) and I don't want her to practice barking at people in the car.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk