Sad day at the AKC show

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Sarah » April 3rd, 2006, 1:35 am

Labs are shown grotesquely obese. It is one of the breeds that has suffered the most from the show ring. American field-bred Labs are also not very close to the actual standard (towards the other direction), but they are more functional. Many of them have structural/health issues, though, because many are bred for drive without a lot of concern about structure and health testing. I was talking a couple months ago to someone who has Labs, and she told me that the breed currently having the most reproductive issues is Labs. Neither the field breeders nor the show breeders are doing right by them. (BYB Labs, OTOH, continue to proliferate)

Last time I stayed at a show long enough to watch the groups being shown, the Viszla shown made me jealous. The dog was in supreme condition, rippling muscle and showing rib. Wish I could say that for more bully breed winners.
Sarah
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Carla » April 3rd, 2006, 2:21 am

Sarah wrote:Labs are shown grotesquely obese. It is one of the breeds that has suffered the most from the show ring.

They sure are. But their legs have also gotten shorter and the heads look like what you'd see on a Newfie or Rottweiler. If you look at pictures of show dogs from many years ago, I notice two things that seem to happen pretty consistently. Legs and muzzles get shorter and topskulls get broader. There is something about that compact, rounded look that we must love!

Sarah wrote:Last time I stayed at a show long enough to watch the groups being shown, the Viszla shown made me jealous. The dog was in supreme condition, rippling muscle and showing rib.

Among all the breeds, I believe Viszlas have one of the highest, if not THE highest, percentage of dogs that have dual championships.

Carla
Carla
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk