Lifelong Journey on the Road with Spirit

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby beemerchef » February 22nd, 2011, 10:09 pm

Thanking my Present Destiny... TX

We have sat here pretty much these past winters. I always thought this is a good space for us, as it is, and yet, lately I have been thinking, even telling some Friends about being over-saturated with the area. Kind of like “been there, done that... too many times”. I have even added, sometimes, we will not be back here next winter. A funny thing happen however the other day while playing guide in Big Bend Park with Robin while she was visiting us for a week or so, as she pointed out this and that, I realized that I had seen nothing yet. For someone such as me who travels the roads with such a slow pace, it was a big surprise. I actually was shocked when I realize I had never noticed this rock formation, or that one, or even some roads foreign to me. It reminded me of my Life when working in Florida and living on a sailboat and yet, never going to the beach.
We don't have long here, I started going the camping gear today, will probably do a dry run into... the Park itself for a few nights and toward Death Valley we will go. Follow the weather, follow the path as always as it is calling us more than ever.
So... some more photos of Big Bend Park in the Journal this time.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » February 27th, 2011, 9:38 pm

A bit North of here... TX

Right now the winds have unleashed with a fury. The clear blue skies have turned into a liquid mud, visibility is I would call it “rare”, sand bursts are passing by at great speed, it is a weighing hot, a humid air that will only allow me to breath mixed in with powder and sand. Everything has changed so rapidly. It is as we have moved onto another Planet flying in with a heavy turbulence yet not so foreign as familiar throughout the year as also throughout the country, yet always a bit unnerving as the wind finding it's path under my skin.
A couple days ago was a different stage. One has to seize in these times the opportunity to ride as we did when I decided to go on a bit north of here. Ft Davis, the Mc Donald Observatory, all was ahead of us. Packing, mapping up my bags, all took a back seat. “Old Faithful” oils have been changed all around, throttle bodies checked, a small repair here and there , the rest will wait, all is one day at the time.
As a few years ago I was allowed behind the glass wall to take some photos of the big lens. Always a treat. More on the Journal.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 3rd, 2011, 12:20 am

The “Two Wheeled Texans” in Terlingua. TX

I never know what the day is going to bring up when saddling up “Old Faithful” and heading to town, the closest one, Terlingua, about 30 miles south of here. I quickly notice an unusual motorcycle activity, question answered by the fact that this was the weekend of the “Two Wheeled Texans” riding the area, camping in many different sites, some all the way to Lajitas. It was warm, meet up with some Friends who had decided not to ride that last afternoon, a bit of shade, a gracious lunch and much chatting end up being the day's menu. One by one the riders were returning, dusty, tired for some, everyone ready for the Sunday night dinner were I was graciously invited. Texas fare, more conversations, Spirit was behaving within a crowd he is not used to be within, what a great day it was, a day to remember.
In the meantime packing is still going on, the fear of not fitting in bags what we always need for months to come is always present trying to avoid last year's mailing to a Friend 26lbs of unused items. One never knows. Trying to be out of here in about a week, should be just about right to ride the southern route to Tucson and on to Death Valley.
More in the Journal.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 7th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Readiness for the road... TX

Quite often I wonder why I even bother unpacking and yet the answer is always so obvious: winter... cold... At times I feel stuck, stuck in this beautiful area. I project too much, get ahead of the miles and forget the present we rest on when here Mother Nature is and has been so generous to us. It only takes a ride into Big Bend Park to awaken me of such wrongdoings, such thoughts knowing too well unfounded too often. Some chatting with Friends in Terlingua, visiting my neighbors, watching Spirit letting it all out while running freely here off his leash, that leash... a must in other areas. Human Nature can be so complex, maybe it is only me and my thirst to move along continuously. The Sunsets, the Sunrises, all glorious to no end. Cooking outside amongst the three fire pits, riding the dirt with no traffic as I have yet to see a car go by here since September! Besides Friends and UPS that is, the brown four wheel drive truck. But this season is coming to an end, we are indeed leaving early hoping the weathers ahead will not be too striking with us. Thursday morning we are again starting to wander. In the meantime I posted a Video of our last ride into the Park and more photos on the Journal.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 13th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Trying to blend in with the road. Columbus. NM

The Photo? riding the Border.
The Sun rising is slowly brightening the inner tent this morning through it's yellow material announcing the start of a beautiful new day. Mixed in with early clouds the temperature is still mild, perfect I would say as we sit right on the border, Columbus, New Mexico. It was an easy ride from "The Oasis" with a bit of a hang up in Marfa, we are avoiding freeways at all cost and this is turning out to be a bit of a game while on our way to Death Valley. We arrived here almost in the midst of much turmoil which we missed, a good thing, and yesterday was a great reward being part of the "Columbus Furlong Days". Decided to spend another day here as now all is quiet, cool shade at the “Pancho Villa” State Campground with showers and all, even power as primitive camping along the border is never a very good idea. We are getting into the groove of this aspect which now will last for months as Spirit also is quick to think anywhere we stop is his Home and has a duty to protect it with a growl for anyone coming a bit too close. Best “buddy” ever had...
More on the Journal....

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 19th, 2011, 4:59 pm

“Columbus Furlong Day”, N.M.

Our Karma is good, always while wandering the country without much of a schedule or route. No, we do not know where we will be August 14th 2015... Trust me that some do, some on the road as us thinking they have achieved the freedom desired only to be governed by their perpetual calendar. If it was so, we probably would have not stumbled on this great event in Columbus, New Mexico. Such a wonderful day it was we are thinking about returning next year. Oh! So there goes the planning... contradicting myself here. Smile. Many photos in the Journal about it all, free abundant and delicious food, “Friendship” was the banner throughout the day placed up high for everyone adorning a smile and kind words. Perfect weather, on to the Chiricahuas for a couple days, Portal and on over the Mountain on that very familiar dirt road to the Chiricahua National Monument and back. Moving on forward as now sitting in Tucson for a few days before taking on the road to Death Valley and back for Overland Expo 11 the following weekend where I will be teaching a “one pan” cooking class combined with “traveling without refrigeration”... I think we will take on a vacation after that...
Enjoy the photos...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 24th, 2011, 1:42 pm

A cloudy day at the Catalina State Park. AZ.

Not the most cheerful entry written these past days as my long time and close Friend Bill has been checked into the Hospice. An avid motorcycle rider, a Dog Lover, a great Husband and a prankster as I have never experienced. He is the one that has seen me through thick and thin in years past, the one that has never let me get down on my own luck. How can we ever come to terms when such circle breaks off at such an early age? I read about “beauty” being within this World of ours, that door we only have to open as I have these past years and yet, his own page is flying away as it's chapter has yet to be finished. I know we will again live with the memories of a Dear one, sometimes none of this makes any sense. I canceled our outing to Death Valley and from Tucson, after a short hike into Catalina State Park on a cloudy day we are now in Patagonia, AZ. It is a beautiful area, different than what we have seen and experienced before, but the mood is just not there. The mind is 1300 miles away with my Friend who is no more seeing the clear blue skies, the trees, the multicolor rocks, all has now been dimmed in his own World. Not much else to say really.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 31st, 2011, 10:11 am

Toward “Overland Expo 11”. Amado. AZ

This time we have not just been invited to this great event but also been asked to give a class. It is actually two subjects combined, the first one being “one pan cooking” and the second one “traveling without refrigeration”, they do go hand in hand as long as you do not care to eat meat, maybe only on days you will see a butcher while riding down the road, not much of a chance while crossing the Sahara. All this has reminded me a bit of the old days when as a Personal Chef to the rich and not so famous, food shopping was a daily ritual besides boxes coming in overnight through mail orders. All is now prepped, 2 meals per 50 minute class, there will not be much time for dicing and chopping, I needed to get a head start. It will be again old Friends we have not seen for a year now, new ones with show up and those off road toys will be the temptation for everyone. “Eye Candy”...
Maybe we will see some of you there? Hoping to do so.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » March 31st, 2011, 10:32 am

beemerchef wrote:Maybe we will see some of you there? Hoping to do so.
Wish I could join you, sounds like a real treat. :)
Next time you take IH-10 across Texas be sure to let me know, we can throw some crawfish in the pot and do Cajun. :mrgreen:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 7th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:
beemerchef wrote:Maybe we will see some of you there? Hoping to do so.
Wish I could join you, sounds like a real treat. :)
Next time you take IH-10 across Texas be sure to let me know, we can throw some crawfish in the pot and do Cajun. :mrgreen:

That sounds so so good!!! Soon I hope... Thank you.

The big picture, “Overland Expo 11”. AZ

Will try this again! My Journal was being migrated with GoDaddy never telling me it would be down for a few days...

A couple days back from Amado now, rested as I think we are including Spirit who took in quite a bit of heat even if so protected by a hydration coat soaked in water just about on the hour. As usual when within such a crowd, it will take time to sort it all out, sort out the faces and the names and the stories heard, the stories from “on the road”. The such “road fever” is bad this am, we have to stay here a few more days awaiting some mail and a couple other logistical aspects. Hoping to get back on the road this coming Sunday and trying out again toward Death Valley where the weather forecast promises pleasant times.
My three daily classes kept me busy throughout Overland Expo, kept me busy rehearsing it all ahead of time to keep them within a 50 minute presentation. The classes end up being standing room only, luckily their starting time was 11am which meant the lunch hour free for all was also mine for the tasting of the cooked goods and some chatting ensuing.
More photos on the Journal...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 7th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Ara, what are your summer travel plans?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby beemerchef » April 15th, 2011, 1:32 am

mnp13 wrote:Ara, what are your summer travel plans?

Wow... hard to tell! It really is...

The sound of a distant Drummer. NV

The road, those blue ribbons, at times liked in browns and rocky or sandy, they have deeply penetrated into my own well being. I am asked often if all is “getting old” or better “am I ready to quit?”... “am I getting tired of it all?” as we are closing in on 5 years of wandering. Amazingly everyday only increases this what I call now “addiction” toward the unknown, the next bend, the next silhouettes so often delicately drawn into the skies always ahead of us. “Death Valley” has in the past always been of a bad timing mainly with snow and much cold. All is now clear as the passage from here to there in itself is filled with the promises of good weather for those 3.3 million acres awaiting for us. The pace is a bit faster than desired only because we are meeting my Friend Brian for a couple of days, we can then fall back into our own timeless search. I often think how well Spirit has adapted to this road, how often his floor is not of wood or tiles or even carpets, but dirt under his own pad. How often he has in seconds felt “at home” on the few square feet we quickly take over to make it our overnight home. There are no schedules, no time frames, as of this moment again I myself have no clue where we will soon be besides in “Death Valley”. “The Road” photos on the Journal...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 15th, 2011, 1:37 am

mnp13 wrote:Ara, what are your summer travel plans?

I honestly don't know yet! Neither does Spirit... West so far... Thanks for asking. :)

The sound of a distant Drummer. NV

The road, those blue ribbons, at times liked in browns and rocky or sandy, they have deeply penetrated into my own well being. I am asked often if all is “getting old” or better “am I ready to quit?”... “am I getting tired of it all?” as we are closing in on 5 years of wandering. Amazingly everyday only increases this what I call now “addiction” toward the unknown, the next bend, the next silhouettes so often delicately drawn into the skies always ahead of us. “Death Valley” has in the past always been of a bad timing mainly with snow and much cold. All is now clear as the passage from here to there in itself is filled with the promises of good weather for those 3.3 million acres awaiting for us. The pace is a bit faster than desired only because we are meeting my Friend Brian for a couple of days, we can then fall back into our own timeless search. I often think how well Spirit has adapted to this road, how often his floor is not of wood or tiles or even carpets, but dirt under his own pad. How often he has in seconds felt “at home” on the few square feet we quickly take over to make it our overnight home. There are no schedules, no time frames, as of this moment again I myself have no clue where we will soon be besides in “Death Valley”. “The Road” photos on the Journal...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 21st, 2011, 11:29 am

A Treasure found: “Gold Point”. NV

I can only hope that for if it was only this time, I have enough credibility to entice you to come to “Gold Point”, Nevada. We have been there already for a few days, returning today as I had to come to town for some errands and Internet usage. “Gold Point”? A live Ghost Town thanks to Herb Robbins for the past 32 years him present conserving it all. The weather has been perfect, it is that time of the year to be in this area as it's elevation is just above 5000 feet. I started thinking the other day with a big smile while making a make shift table as my campsite is widening “I would make a good Homeless...” and realized... we are! But “Gold Point” feels as Home, I feel as belonging to that space so quiet and yet as I am told in the company of 17 Ghosts. The rides into Death Valley, the empty spaces of BLM which are in the millions of acres are plentiful and most are good roads, even freshly graded. We have water, even hot water and sometimes Herb cooks some of those great meals one can only dream of in this vast Desert!

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 27th, 2011, 10:58 am

“Gold Point”, NV. We have not moved on yet...

It can happen when one finds this space throughout more Deserted acres one can imagine and suddenly it feels as “we belong here”. The days have been lingering on and on with not much desire to leave the area. I already know we will not ride “all the roads” this time around, maybe not even next time around as we will be back if and when we ever leave. There are too many of those roads. They are amazingly well maintained, graded regularly, it makes it for some more than pleasant outgoings. The views are of postcards embedded in the mind forever, mine shafts at every turn, abandoned cabins, some maintained by travelers free for the night with furniture, needed shelter from the weather and a guest book. They have been however windy and cold days, I have to be ready for the windows of opportunity, it is that time of the year between the past harsh winter and the monsoon season which soon will start. Always at the mercy of Mother Nature. The nearest store is far, over 60 miles away, if and when you ever adventure yourself within this gem of an area, do not forget anything and be prepared for everything. More on the Journal...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 4th, 2011, 1:20 am

On our way South, for now. NV.

These times have been almost as “where are we now?”. My Journal entries are still stuck in Gold Point and Hard Luck Castle, even though we actually are spending another night in Kingman before heading back to Tucson for Robin's Birthday which will be followed by a Concert of the B52's. I miss Gold Point, the quiet and serene times, the roads barely traveled by anyone but us, the little Ghost Town itself of 7 with Herb and Sandy being at the forefront of it all, including a dinner we had Saturday night. A great dinner! Unfortunately we had to leave. A couple days in Las Vegas at my Friends Christine and Jason needing some front brake repair as “Motorcycle Tire Center” promptly and with a big smile took care of “Old Faithful”. Then on a couple days to re-visit “Valley of Fire” where camping is only allowed in a couple campgrounds and now as mentioned on our way south as we will then turn around and follow the weather for the summer. North that is as the South is starting to heat up.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 10th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Then and Now. Life. Tucson, AZ.

Steve Azar, yes, as we are now entering the “Country Music” charts (a bit of humor here...) has made this great video of us depicting in less than 3 minutes what it has taken us these past years, a video with his song “Hard Road”. As we sit here in Tucson right now for a couple more days for my Friend's Birthday, watching such images and listening to such words brings on, I cannot help it, so many of recent past remembrances of us on this road we have embraced. All is only hard as much as we want to make it even if at times one cannot see it any other way. Hope and Faith in this Life of ours has become a must, a daily “headline”. I have realized not long ago all is about “acceptance” as the choices are not of many. Sitting amongst four walls was never an option, one then while on the road can only be subjected to it's surroundings, the physical ones such as 'Mother Nature's” moods and their own “mental ones” as dealing with cards overturned in recent past. It all turns out to be a package deal sometimes stumbling and at others sailing through as when all the Stars seem so perfectly aligned as they have been these past days. In a few we will again take off, probably within some cooler evening hours and head up toward the higher elevations of Utah... in a few.
Enjoy the video.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 19th, 2011, 4:19 pm

“Show Low” with a smile. AZ

Tucson is behind us, hundreds, thousands of miles lay ahead of us, summer and fall do too, what an incredible scenario. Yet, we have not made further than a couple hundred miles as when being in Globe I remembered in “Show Low” my Friends Dean and Pam had taken residence building this compound since 2006. I conjunction with not so good weather passing by, snow this morning (!!!), well, we are still here enjoying the “Barn”, some serious cooking, Friendships and much chatting. It does not get ant better than this. One night turned into two, as we will leave tomorrow morning it will be three. How time passes by! Spirit has a couple new Friends, “Einstein” and “Buddy” and “Einstein” and him have been playing like I had never seen Spirit before. It is going to be sad to pull them apart when we leave as much as I am sure we will be back. How can we not! Discovering new roads from Tucson such as 77 to Globe and 60 bringing us here, “Tonto National Forest” and all it's well maintained service roads, all has been a plus and will see us again.
Enjoy the photos and some recent thoughts...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 23rd, 2011, 12:29 pm

I am touched “Thank You”, Show Low. AZ

The ride? Well, it turned out to be a U-Turn about 100 miles into it from Show Low. The skies were falling on us ahead only a few miles, unlike felt gusts of wind and rain did catch up with us, it was a race back to Holbrook, Arizona, taking cover in a depressing Motel room. They truly always are. So we never made it to “Valley of the Gods”, “Boulder”, “Escalante” and on. We live on the road, there is no rush, no hurry, only some common sense to move on with the weather which lately has not cooperated too well. The upside are photos which I enjoy taking while the clouds, cotton balls turning into menacing vessels in the skies pass by, I will always stop regardless. We are back in Show Low sheltered by the incredible hospitality of Dean and Pam, we are getting to know each other well within this “Oasis” of theirs. It is always a matter of regrouping before taking on the awaiting miles again, hopefully this time a smoother ride.
Arizona Highways... then came the rain!

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 30th, 2011, 9:17 am

Motorcyclist Cafe Barn & Bunkhouse, Show Low, AZ

How about that! We are still under the hospitable wings of Dean and Pam at their “Motorcycle Cafe Barn & Bunkhouse” in Show Low, Arizona. Turning my back on a few blood tests lately has only left me with the decision to have a biopsy. This past Friday Dean drove the 440 mile round trip to Tucson and now it is for a couple weeks just a matter of keeping my fingers crossed and awaiting for the results. I have to keep the Faith of Life going as a few different scenarios are awaiting, obscure and unknown at the present. We are longing for the road and yet, being here has been relaxing, enriching as the company at times chatting, at other times cooking and sharing a meal has been a highlight of our Journey. How can one “thank” enough for such gesture? The World sure is filled with such good people as we have always crossed path with them these past years. They seem to be not advertised! Seemingly only the bad news escape and make up the headlines so often read. One does need to believe that the “goodness” of many roams freely amongst us. They are here and there, they are indeed everywhere. I took some photos of what here we call “the barn”... it will give everyone an idea what one can do for other. Enjoy.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk