Lifelong Journey on the Road with Spirit

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby beemerchef » May 24th, 2008, 9:17 am

The Natural Bridges, Utah

We packed fairly early that day leaving my favorite spot where I am sure we will go back under better skies. Some glancing at the clouds, decided to go and checkout the Natural Bridges National Park. Nice ride up, the Park itself not crowded at all with a 9 miles loop and amazingly no red sandstone. I think the camera was confused now! A delight on the eyes, marvels carved in rocks, many trails to go on and much greenery. The winds picked up as time went on, a struggling ride back specially with it on the nose from Blanding back to Bluff just in time for some serious rain… which lasted till a few minutes ago. Just got a message from a rider that was suppose to meet us here tonight… he is in Monticello in a motel room… it is snowing just a few miles north from here!
Eventually we will complain, needlessly, that it is too hot… some day, does not seem to be soon.
All in the Blog as always. Be well… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 27th, 2008, 10:22 am

Canyon the Chelly, Utah

Pronounced “sha-e”, I stood corrected. A nice ride into Arizona exploring the cliffs of this Canyon I had never heard of till a few days ago. Beautiful and breathtaking, uncrowded on Navajo Land as they also live in the Valley with much farming utilizing the rich soil available.
For the first time we were not alone, joined by Art, a reader and rider from New York City, New York… curious of our Lifestyle. Quite a step for him to pack up and go as it seems that his own Journey has turned into Jell-O abandoning all the plans he had drawn on his map and just following his nose.
It is never the “destination” truly, but the Journey. A bit of cooking, many pictures and ourselves will go back again to ride some of the roads we did not have a chance to touch yet.
Enjoy the Canyon, I hope you get to visit it some day soon…
Be well… Ara & Spirit

Throw the Dog a Bone… Spirited T shirts… Mouse Pads… Photography…
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 29th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Another day by the Canyons, Utah

The riding was awesome stopping at all the overlooks, Spirit was in his glory as usual being outdoor and wind in his face… proudly sitting with his head up as a sidecar owner… (he is!!!). There were so many more roads we yet have not done due to lack of time as Art and I parted after some great company. Him going west… us going east. Now that we are familiar with the area of the Canyon de Chelly, we will plan again to ride beyond it some passes we were told are just magnificent and twisted!
We are back in Bluff for a couple of days, changing brake pads and trying to figure out why there is a couple of drops of oil sipping from under the front cover… I need to be in that “mood” to do mechanical work… I think today is it!
More pictures on the Blog… as always.
Be well.
Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 1st, 2008, 12:36 pm

Camping at Monument Valley, Utah

Those longs days are tiresome sometimes when trying to catch sunsets and sunrises back to back! Even Spirit in still darkness, in the am his eyes half closed seems to be complaining!
It was just some place visited before but never camped in… Monument Valley.
We took our time getting there and also a small detour in Oljato to check out the Trading Post, an original built in 1921.
On to the park we had first row seats ahead of everyone with the same idea! What I thought would be a non sense turned into fun while chatting with the many foreigners present, taking advantage of their beneficial Euro exchange….
There will be a couple chapters of this outing… too many pictures and too much going on!
Be well… always…
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 3rd, 2008, 11:16 pm

So more camping at Monument Valley! Utah…

This was camping with photography in mind… the dirt road loop also I have to say is always kind of challenging trying to always figure out a better line and explore the possibilities of the rig’s handling! Nice also to meet many foreigners taking advantage of the Euro exchange and listen to their own perspective about traveling and visiting this Country. Only one complain… same as mine… the food situation! But look at where we are! Food Distributors don’t even want to deliver their ingredients this far… time… and fuel costs! So… keep on cooking!
The heat in the air is being really felt this morning and the “no-see-ums”, I think same as “gnats” (?) are out in full force… I thought we left them behind in Florida… but wrong! I even tried “dryer sheets” to keep them away… not much is working… Colorado Mountains are sounding more and more appealing!!!
Till next time… enjoy the pictures… maybe the writing too!
Be well Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 6th, 2008, 10:50 am

Is it winter… again?

33 degrees a few miles up the road, dark clouds and much rain yesterday… but it looks like all will change tomorrow when we head out soon (I like to use that word!… no time frame…) to the “Antelope Slot Canyon” in Page, by Lake Powell. We are looking forward to it… Spirit will stay behind for a couple hours under the watchful eyes of the Lady that books the Tours as no one is allowed in without a guide, and Dogs cannot join us… again! Not my favorite way to go… but I think it will be worth it…
I am still lost within the images of Monument Valley! Hard to get tired of it when they project such a constant change of shadows throughout the day starting with sunrise, specially when no one is around but us…
The rest of the images are here…
Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 9th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Page, AZ… the lower Canyon

All I could say while visiting both upper and lower Antelope Slot Canyon was “phenomenal”… as truly I was left speechless by the wonders that Mother Nature truly outdoing herself on this both occasions.
A bit of a rough ride due to some heavy winds going in, sailing with ease coming up… one makes up for the extra fuel used the other way! I guess!
Page is a busy town… a Super Center Walmart probably says it all!
The weather was perfect and still is, will stay as is all summer? The area might then be called Paradise.
Many pictures of the Canyons, so many that I will eventually create a SmuMug Gallery for them soon!
and as always, be well.

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2008, 8:31 pm

That pic is breathtaking! :shock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » June 9th, 2008, 8:34 pm

Just - WOW! :shock:

And again - thank you for sharing your adventures w/us. I always look forward to updates. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby beemerchef » June 13th, 2008, 10:42 pm

A side trip! Cortez… Co

We had to get to a big city! This is big… and I am finding myself not doing well in such of an atmosphere. Spirit neither, he is just not happy as usual. An event as the Cortez Cultural Center and meeting another traveler, Sergio from Boston, who joined us for the event saved the day and the mind… Dancing, Traditions, Story telling by an 84 year old Navajo Code Talker… it was a great evening of entertainment and culture.
We are headed out in the am, all the errands are done, mail has followed me on queue including my new tags and Driver’s License! After all I am still a Florida Resident as so many others that only live there half of the time.
I am a bit torn between continuing north in Colorado or go to… Escalante for a while. I am so drawn to the later. Maybe Spirit will decide in the morning… Bluff? You can read about it here…
Till next time… from who knows where!
Be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 16th, 2008, 5:49 pm

We are in Escalante, Utah…

If you have never done 95 and 12 from Blanding or vice versa you owe to yourself to do it as a once in a Lifetime amazing first “Utah’s All-American Road”. We are now in Escalante, our new home base for a while and will go back to explore and photograph one section at the time. My concept is always either no pictures or stop every mile!… It could have taken us weeks to get here.
There is so much that it could be overwhelming as besides the maps, the locals already have given me tips on out of the way destinations. In the meantime, Old Faithful decided to take a break by developing a rear final drive leak!… Just a seal. I am sure with the help of many on Motorcycle Forums I will be able to replace… when the part gets here! No overnight shipping in this town… So Spirit and I will check out by foot this small city… however a bit bigger than Bluff.
Enjoy the Antelope Slot “Upper” Canyon today on the Blog…
Be well, as always… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 18th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Some repairs in Escalante, Utah
We are on the road always at the mercy of a breakage. It is always the hidden factor that can change plans, routes and finances for sure. They came in threes! One more to go as far as fixing… waiting for a new rear hub seal, but in the meantime still riding a bit around the town.
The only Motorcycle Shop within two hundred miles is right here! A couple miles away… that is what I call good Karma as I was not aware of it when planning to come here. This is a main thoroughfare for two wheelers traveling, even travelers on foot, bicycles, and “Desert Doctor” does pretty well for the ill fated riders unprepared for this area.
It is getting hot during the day, I like it, just have to keep an eye on Spirit and from now on he will ride with his nice red cover on!… Never thought that one would come in so handy…
Enjoy the Blog… I know some of you will pass by here… let me know… will buy you a cup of coffee!!!
Be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 21st, 2008, 11:50 am

Rolling again! Utah.
They came in three… they have been fixed in three! A bit of hiking with a very upset Spirit during a 5:30am wake up call, but all worth seeing the incredible colors of the Escalante Petrified Forest, another marvel accomplished by Mother Nature…
The new seal was waiting when we returned and so embarrassed to find out that it was the easiest repair I have ever done! Could not stay still too long after 3 days pretty much at idle… so a ride to Penguitch to meet some of the Rally goers and a beautiful night time ride back to camp, arriving around midnight!
All this in one day… seems that my energy has doubled since here!
Returning today, met up with some old friends at the “Beehive Beemer” get together, unfortunately it only took one, with his unprovoked profanities and foul language, a “dog hater” I was told by the registration desk, all this because Spirit was barking while I was using the facilities! A facet of a society I thought I had abandoned long time ago. As “management” was OK with it, only saying they are… “sooo sorry!“, a Charter Club, a disgrace to the Motorcycle community, we left the “space” fouled by this individual and waiting for a public apology. As I always say… “School is always open”…
Be well… all is well here!… including Spirit. Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 23rd, 2008, 9:19 am

“The Dog Hater”… not “Whisperer!

When a “dog hater” (as described by the Rally organizers!), an uncaring “Rally Master” and us… end up being in the same vicinity, things do not go well. I have the outmost respect for anyone that does not like dogs… as there are many flavors of Ice cream, and that is OK… but when we get insulted, well, that is not…
It was a short stay at the Beehive Beemer Rally, we met many familiar faces, made some new Friends and the good of course outweighs the bad, if only it was not for those insults and profane language I had to hear… followed by an unconcerned Rally Master, barely listening to the situation.
The ride was fine, the rides are always fine specially since our mechanical issues have been addressed. Escalante to Penguitch is such a beautiful road allowing the traveler to take in the changes in colors of the sandstone, from white to an orangey red going through the Canyon. And for you all specially that are dog owners, I think this Blog will interest you…
Be well… always. Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » June 23rd, 2008, 10:40 am

Ugh, what a jerk!! I certainly hope you as well as Spirit get your most deserved apology.

As always though, very well written, and beautiful pictures!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby beemerchef » June 25th, 2008, 8:12 am

Thanks!... don't count on it...

Boulder, a cool little town, Utah

Unfortunately no pictures of the town itself today! It started storming before I even had a chance to pull the camera out of its bag. It is only 27 miles from here, there will be many more chances… We might even set up base camp in Boulder as almost at 1000 feet higher the weather is much cooler. Escalante is becoming hot. We met up with Ron, owner of “Motorcycle R & R” and that was a great time chatting… he even bought me lunch! The day could not get any better. Well, it did as we met another roadside attraction… Joe… crossing the country on Roller Blades! Yes… It is a shame that we cannot just pull up a chair and sit by the side of the road, there are all kinds of travelers coming through, trust me!
In case you do not read the Blog, many thanks for all the support you have send us including all the kind words. It is water under the bridge… The replies from the responsible parties of course almost made me the bad guy with the bad dog! Forget it… Karma will take its course! I do not carry or want that kind of energy.
Be well… always… the sun is shining today. Ara & Spirit

http://www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 27th, 2008, 10:21 am

4, 60, 300 and the “Burr trail”, Utah…

You will need to read the Blog to find out about the 4, 60 and 300... Somehow they all fell on the same day!
With 2 million acres surrounding us we are liable to experience some areas unadvertised as the Burr Trail. I had this vision for a moment of gates and shuttles taking the tourists back and forth within that incredible Canyon that was such a surprise to me. Hope as it did in Zion it never happens here. Do not pass Boulder without riding or driving that road including the switchbacks… they are car friendly roads, a bit of washboards, not to be adventured on in rainy times.
Whenever we stopped only smells and silence prevailed. We both needed this day, it does not cease to amaze me how vast and incredible this area is. We were not prepared to camp overnight but will soon…
Have fun following the road, this is a two part mini Adventure!!!
Be well… Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » June 29th, 2008, 3:31 pm

*Picture above has been HDR digitally enhanced.

Up to the “T” on the Burr Trail…
We turned around at the “T” on the Burr Trail, we were not ready to go any further that day, but will next time and camp out going south to Lake Powell. There is an incredible isolation here on and off the roads. The “space” has changed, it is not Moab, it is not Monument Valley… it is an entity of its own, the closest being Valley of the Gods. Having lived on a sailboat for many years, it is as being out to sea, all alone and with a bit of constant thoughts, an inner, I might call it, “apprehension” maybe, as not to break down as these are not at all well traveled roads.
They are mostly demanding and definitely require an advance knowledge of the weather, they require much water specially being in in summer time. Tools and food a must… they stay on the rig 24/7 never unloaded, cannot afford to forget anything.
Much changes in the sceneries, rocks formations and even roads… that is what is on the Blog today…
Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » July 3rd, 2008, 10:51 am

Saving Spirit and the end of “that” ride, Utah.

A reader asked me, rightly so, how it came about for Spirit and I to be together… It is amazing how some moments are never forgotten and one can relive them! It was then, 3 years have passed and I can just hope for many more to come by one day at the time.
And then the end of a great day’s ride to Gosverner Arch, a bumpy road with much washboard and deep sand combination testing again the limits of the rig with a knobby that is almost gone. We are going through rear tires a bit too fast, those knobbies disappear “like butter”, but it is our only way to handle the local back roads. Riding the black top to get to them does not help either.
Happy 4th of July to you all… be careful with that BBQ! We need to find one ourselves, it is good weather for it.
Enjoy the Blog, the long weekend… till later, you all be well.
Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » July 5th, 2008, 5:34 pm

“One door closes, another one opens up…”

If you believe in above, well, it will happen as it happens to us quite often, one reason to stay calm when some doors shut hard, the draft of Life will ajar another one fairly quickly!
The bottom line? Cost of living has tremendously gone up these past two years, in fuel, food, tire and oil changes alone the budget has been screaming! We are here to explore this incredibly large area, at the same time stumbled on a two days a week work situation that you need to read about! Just too good to pass it up… it is a Dog loving circle where… you “have” to bring your Dog to work with you! For now it is all good and will just see what happens later as the cold weathers will come back and will need to move on as we always have done… I cannot even think that far ahead… So no excuse to not stop by and see us, either in Escalante or Boulder where we will be two days a week… working hard, meaning I will… with Spirit’s supervision! As usual…
“The Burr Trail Grill and Outpost” is the name by the way…
Be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk