Neat dog tricks

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby cheekymunkee » March 22nd, 2006, 11:46 pm

I've never been one for teaching dogs tricks but mine have learned a few. Not really tricks I guess. :| I have a cat that knocks on my bedroom door. She will knock to get in & then knock to get right back out. It get annoying very quickly. I've taught Munkee to "go get that cat", she knocks, he chases her from the door. Justice can get annoying when she wants to be the center of attention. I tell her "go find moo-moo & lay down". She will go to her room, find her stuffie ( it used to be a cow) and lay down beside me. I've also taught them "bring that to me", I point to something & they get it & bring it to me.......sometimes. Not always & not always want I wanted but they try......sometimes. Munkee also know that "give me that" means he must lay on top of what ever it is that he has in order for me to not take it from him & fight me for it. :) Munkee is pretty good with sign language.....Justice sucks at it but she knows a little. What have your dogs learned?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » March 22nd, 2006, 11:50 pm

Petey can pee in the toilet, open doors, answer the phone & bark a shave and two bits.

He can also corner a squirrel and lick it.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby cheekymunkee » March 22nd, 2006, 11:52 pm

:backRoll: :backRoll: :backRoll:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » March 23rd, 2006, 12:28 am

Ben whines and woo woo woos when you have beer... lol Does that count? :| He's really good at always finding his toys no matter where you think you hid them well at. He is extremely talented at giving the sympathy eyes :sad2:, and is 80 % successful at actually catching his tail he enjoys chasing.
Maddie ---> doesn't do anything, but she dang sure knows how to not leave your side.
The betta fish comes to the top of the tank to eat when you tap it! :D

Ok so their tricks aren't all that great. Dang you people making your pets sound so exciting! :neener:
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » March 23rd, 2006, 12:31 am

Oh, in MY case, it is not exciting at all. I am just lazy& I make them do things for me. :D

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » March 23rd, 2006, 12:37 am

JennKBM wrote:Ben whines and woo woo woos when you have beer... lol Does that count? :| He's really good at always finding his toys no matter where you think you hid them well at. He is extremely talented at giving the sympathy eyes :sad2:, and is 80 % successful at actually catching his tail he enjoys chasing.
Maddie ---> doesn't do anything, but she dang sure knows how to not leave your side.
The betta fish comes to the top of the tank to eat when you tap it! :D

Ok so their tricks aren't all that great. Dang you people making your pets sound so exciting! :neener:

Petey is too smart for his own fur.

He learned to pee on the toilet because he barges into the bathroom. My husband was in the bathrom & said "WHAT?? I'm doing OUTSIDE!"

Petey sniffed, smelled urine, lifted his leg and peed too! We gave him roast beast and made a big deal out of it. So now he just pees in the toilet if the seat is up.

He taught himself to bite the door knob & turn his head. And answer the phone.

I taught him to bark the last two notes of a shave & two bits by singing the first part and barking the last two notes myself. He just copied the barks.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » March 23rd, 2006, 12:41 am

Hoyden wrote:He can also corner a squirrel and lick it.

Ok, video that. I HAVE to see it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » March 23rd, 2006, 12:48 am

mnp13 wrote:
Hoyden wrote:He can also corner a squirrel and lick it.

Ok, video that. I HAVE to see it.

My husband kept saying I was full of BS on that one. Until he saw it himself.

Petey waits for the squirrel to fall of the fence - then corners it and licks it.

When the squirrel gets away - it stands on the very top where Pete can't reach and swears at him in squirrel chitter while dog spit is dripping off of it.

The last time I saw it happen I was laughing so hard I couldn't stand up - never mind get a camera.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 8:58 am

LOL!!

Licking a squirrel!

I want to teach Jack to pee in the toilet!That would be awesome, and he can't be any messier than the boys!

Lets see, Jack can do freestyle disc, so he jumps over me, through a hoop made from my arm and leg, weaves between my legs while I am walking, spin clockwise and counter clockwise, circle me c/cc, go around a pole c/cc, back up, bow, bring me a tissue when I sneeze, chases bubble, plays frisbee.

Tallulah will stand between my legs and put her front feet on mine. We can walk forward backward and sideways and her feet stay glued. She will spin on command. She can have one ball in her mouth, and no matter where in the house you throw the other, she will have it back to you with her feet in 30 seconds. She can also block the throw if you try to roll it past her. Lou cannot catch her tail unless she traps it between her butt and the cabinet :oops:

Tess can do a complete flip in the air for a tennis ball. (Pretty freaking impressive, she is HUGE!) She also plays frisbee.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby kymn25 » March 23rd, 2006, 1:15 pm

Gabby & Emma can:
Hi Five
Waive
Bow
I sand up on their back legs

Emma also will bark at the cats if their doing something I would yell at them about :cat: :D
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 23rd, 2006, 5:08 pm

Oscar :)

Shake paws (both one after the other or wichever I ask for singly)
Roll over, and the other way.
Jump
Dead dog (I shoot him bang! with my finger)
Weave my legs
Bow
Round a circle, and the other direction, or alternating
He'll also give kisses if asked, most times

The bow is the all-time cutest, and we can use it after a round of tricks :D

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » March 23rd, 2006, 9:45 pm

Jessie:

High-Five
Shake
Bear pose (sitting with the front legs up in the air)
Bang Bang! (play dead)
Jump!
Climb up here
Walk (on hind legs, forward and backwards)
Go get the cat (chase him, he's annoying me)
Talk (I should NEVER have taught her that)

Go in your bed
Come closer (lay on me to get some petting...)
Go in your chair
Go on the rug
Go get *item*
Gimme a kiss
Belly rub?
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » March 23rd, 2006, 9:46 pm

Oh Oh I forgot!!

Roll over (left or right, with hand motion)
Search
Dance (puts her paws on me and we dance...)
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby rockermom » March 23rd, 2006, 10:29 pm

I know someone who their dog brings tissue when they sneeze. They told me they could not remember how they taught that trick. How do you teach that one. Its the funniest. I love it. Any recomendations on trick books?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » March 24th, 2006, 4:05 am

IMO, tricks are THE easiest to teach.

I think I taught Oscar his "bow" in about 30 minutes altogether (short 5 min. sessions)

I think you could go without the book :) But thats just me...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby rockermom » March 24th, 2006, 7:28 am

well how do you teach them to bow etc?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 24th, 2006, 8:49 am

For the tissue, I taught him to get a tissue first. Basic retrieve, saying 'bring it' the first time, with it on the floor.When he had that, I clicked him going to the box, (he would pound the thing with his paws before getting the tissue out of the box).

Once he was patterned to go to the box and get a tissue, I started using the word 'tissue'. Once he knew that command, I shaped it into a sneeze, adding the holding my nose, saying ahhh...tissue! The word lends itself to sounding like a sneeze.

The bow is easiest to catch when the dog does it anyways. I would be interested in how other people teach that.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 24th, 2006, 9:45 am

Wally will sing on command. I am also trying to work on "spin" but he's so damn stubborn that he won't follow the treat in a circle. So instead I have to catch the behavior when he does it and reward, which is what I did with sing. It took a while but worked fabulously.

I'll have to work on some more :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 24th, 2006, 10:08 am

Try breaking the spin down farther. Treat him for turning his head, he never gets a treat at your knees, only away from you. Mine figured out that I will treat them at my knees, so why bother turning away? So I had to change where I treated them.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » March 24th, 2006, 12:27 pm

This morning I found a website for kids to teach tricks. I am going to have my son try some. This morning I started myself with play dead. He is getting it quickly. Its funny the way he folds his paws. Although I hate using play dead and the kids site calls it take a nap but he looks like he is playing dead not taking a nap.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk