Question regarding yard set up for your dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 2nd, 2006, 11:38 am

Hoyden wrote:
You may have to treat the soil to make it better for the grass and limit the dogs to certain areas while others grow, but it IS possibile!

The key to keeping the grass according to my husband is letting the young grass develope a strong root system and proper fertilization. That way when the dogs zoom around - it isn't easily ripped up.

If you want just GREEN grass and aren't a snob like my hubby, you can try St. Augustine grass. It's like crab grass and grows with runners and is damn near impossible to kill

THANKS
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Romanwild » April 2nd, 2006, 12:36 pm

The secret to a good root sytem is to keep your grass at least 2.5 inches long 3 is better. The longer the grass the deeper the roots.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 11th, 2006, 10:27 am

It is finally done an area for the dogs. It measures 21x24. You can see Knuckles in there and he is not thrilled. He was actually shaking which concerned me a little bit. I am planning on getting a nice sized dog house in there. But I am concerned they will chew it out of anxiety of being in there. Any thoughts??

I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 11th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Just make sure you put the doghouse in the middle and make sure it's heavy. My first dog use to drag his Igloo house to the fence and use it to climb over. :rolleyes2:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 11th, 2006, 12:36 pm

I was thinking of a wooden dog house but I think they may chew it. I thought of an igloo too but they'd probably chew that too. Maybe I should build a metal one. LOL.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 11th, 2006, 12:48 pm

luvmyangels wrote:I was thinking of a wooden dog house but I think they may chew it. I thought of an igloo too but they'd probably chew that too. Maybe I should build a metal one. LOL.

Well, I had a beautiful wooden one that my Dad built originally, and it was very heavy, but that's the problem I had---all he did was rip the shingles off of it and chew it. :( I thought the Igloo would solve the problem, but he showed me. :devil:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 12:49 pm

NICE set up maryann- just make sure that the dog house is no where near the fencing, so that the dogs dont figure out they can stand onthe dog house then jump over the fence
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 11th, 2006, 12:59 pm

I just thought it was a nice idea to have a dog house. Any thoughts that maybe I shouldn't? They are not living out there it is just for when they go outside.

The one part that I know they will hate is that they can't sun themselves like they do on the deck. Above the area there is a tremendous tree which shades the whole area.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 1:08 pm

the dog house can stay, as long as its away from the fence.. it looks fine out there
Maryellen
I live here

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk