The TRUTH about Lila

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby cheekymunkee » March 28th, 2006, 11:52 am

Faith wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:
Faith wrote:The only thing that needs to be said on this thread at this point is whether or not you sympathize with Brian's decision to handle the situation as he did.
and
to agree or disagree with Noel's decision to post her findings on another forum so that anyone could respond.

How do you start a poll on one of these things?

Our members are free to express their opinions on any matter posted on this board. If you want to start a poll you will need to start a new thread.

I understand. I was just trying to stay on the topic.
So how do you start a poll on a new thread?
Maybe I will - but I'm kind of running out of energy on this matter and no one from SPBR will respond - except for that one brave person - so what's the point.

Hit "New Topic", to start a new thread. At the bottom of the screen you are given the option of making the thread a poll. If you have any problems pm one of us & we will be happy to help you.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby greenkozi » March 28th, 2006, 11:53 am

SisMorphine wrote:Lila's "smiling" shelter picture is that of a dog who had just exerted a lot of energy for one reason or another, not that of a dog who is happy and sweet. It's very misleading when human emotions/mannerisms are placed on situations like these.

panting can also be stress. this option seems to be quite viable based on all the information i'm reading about this dog.
greenkozi
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » March 28th, 2006, 11:57 am

greenkozi wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:Lila's "smiling" shelter picture is that of a dog who had just exerted a lot of energy for one reason or another, not that of a dog who is happy and sweet. It's very misleading when human emotions/mannerisms are placed on situations like these.

panting can also be stress. this option seems to be quite viable based on all the information i'm reading about this dog.

Very good point!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rotten1 » March 28th, 2006, 12:00 pm

As the Volunteer Coordinator for a rescue and a trainer I have a few questions:

Maybe Doreen can answer these or if ERic is lurking maybe he can shed some light on this...

1) When D & B were "fostering" this dog, did they sign a foster contract?

2) If yes does it clearly indicate WHO is repsonsible for the dogs actions (i.e many rescues have an insurance policy that covers their dogs in the program in evnet of injury to people, etc)

3) If no, then we are SAFE to assume that all liability for this would fall on D & B and they would be responsible for paying out of their pockets for all the plastic surgery that D and possible B would have to potnetially go through.

-sure they could prob pull a h/o cliam but they'd have a hard time getting coverage again.

If they never had a foster contract ( and I dont know whether they did or not) they were led to the wolves so to speak. Unfort being relatively new to fostering as they have stated (they didnt know to ask about the warning sticker at the shelter) their willingness to help should have been channeled else where (like fostering a few pups once they were weaned prior to permenant home placement.

If they did the SPBR has it in their best interest to make sure these dogs, ALL DOGS are temerment tested. Just becuase eric is an atty and can try to find loop holes to get himself out of throuble doesnt make it right.

Also I cannot believe that a rescue, never mind a PIT BULL rescue is sendings dog home (to foster or otherwise) with a mere shelter eval from shelter staff. I cannot count the number of times I see people in my office who have adopted dogs from shelters that were not a good fit, and some plain dangerous who some peson at the shlter said "oh he shouldbe fine with kids, etc). RESCUES SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

Dogs over 1 yr old should be required to be evaluated by SKILLED person. If one is not available then other rescues or trainer should be called in- Eric has connections, there must have been someone who knows how to temeprment test dogs other than the shleter staff. Yes it might cost $ if you have to have someone go out who doesnt owe you a favor (I often go out for rescue who dont have vols in my area or small rescues who dont have anyone skilled enough to do it for free or a nominal fee. It is worth it if your volunteer base doenst have the experienced eval team. Males over 1 and females with litter need 2 evals.
Even in the best situation, a mother is not going to be "herself". some act docile who are hellraisers. Other who arent normally protective act so (but should not to humans they know, poor lila didnt know D or B that well and who knows twhat she had been through before). Once the pups are weaned you really need to get in there and see what you are dealing with.

In my opinion there is noone to blame for this unfortunate situation that the person who arranged for this dog to be pulled SIGHT UNSEEN. This is a recipe for disaster for all involved. Of course it often goes smoothly but when it doesnt, well when it doesnt its not pretty as D can attest.

Yes I know there are many peope who get into rescue for the RIGHT REASON and stay for the worng (the glory, the $ pups bring it etc). The maytrs shine bright in their own minds leaving behind droves of people who "just wanted to help". So sad when the lure of puppies seems to turn good people into shady characters.

As someone who has witnessed a pitbull attack I can sympathize with the feelings of helplessness one feels. My dog was attacked at 8 mo. I watched the life leave my dogs eyes and though scissors were clsoe by and i KNEW I could kill the dog I couldnt bring myself to do it. I finally got him off by using a broom, but I will never forget the look on my dogs face as he caught my eye saying "I'm going to die and there is nothign you can do about it, arent I?" It was horrifing, and yet I know how awful Both D and B must have felt having to kill poor Lila, unless wyou have been aa victim of an attack or it is starring you in the face you will never know, so don't judge so quick.

Bottom line, the good heartedness of people was taken advantage of here by peole who should have known better (or a person). I hope a lesson was learned by all involved.
rotten1
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » March 28th, 2006, 12:42 pm

I'd guess a rescue would be legally responsible for their pups/dogs, even while they are in a fosterhome---unless the foster person signed a contract absolving the rescue of all liability.

Here is an informative link I posted in another thread for rescue folk, just as an fyi:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/buying.html
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » March 28th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Oh, and this may be a little off topic for this thread---I don't know---but Massachusetts has strict liability laws regarding dog bites:

Massachusetts has one of the best laws for the protection of dog bite victims, especially young children. A dog owner or keeper is strictly liable for dog bites unless the victim was trespassing, teasing, tormenting or abusing the dog, or was committing another tort. A child under the age of 7 is presumed to have done none of those things, but the presumption is rebuttable.

So, if you foster a pup/dog for a rescue, does the rescue technically "own" the dog?? If so, again, it seems the rescue would be responsible for the pup/dog unless somehow ownership by the foster could be proven.

(Note: The above blurb is also from the link I posted).
a-bull
I live here

Postby Faith » March 28th, 2006, 1:27 pm

I have one final thing to say regarding the topic of this thread and the some of the attacks that have been made.

Hoagiewoman stated that Eric did not know about the other aggressive dog that B&D had and that if he had know, he would not have allowed them to foster Lila!?!

The only other dog that B&D had before Lila was Annabelle.

I can't believe that Eric did not come back on this forum to at least clarify this fact.

Annabelle was rescued by other woman and adopted out to B&D. When the dog became aggressive the woman wanted nothing to do with the dog. Annabelle was taken to Tufts Veterinary Hospital where even there they were very cautious with her. I spoke to the veterinarians at Tufts and then I met Annabelle when she was finally returned to Eric.

So, Eric was kind enough to take back a dog that wasn't really his rescue to begin with and B&D were kind enough to IMMEDIATELY adopt Satin to make room for Annabelle. Satin, by the way, was in another home for a week or so and then returned to Eric b/c she was 'too wild'. B&D have done very well by her.

Again, I am responsible for suggesting that Eric and Doreen make up a story about what happened to Lila. But unfortunately, both parties told a few trusted others - for emotional support - which is understandable. Then the story leaked out to a few other people and pretty soon everyone wanted to know the truth - which is understandable, as well.

Eric became paranoid about the lie and all the questions - which is understandable.

Doreen was concerned people would judge what happened - which is certainly understandable given the fact that people STILL feel what Brian did was wrong EVEN AFTER THE DETAILED REPORT PROVIDED BY NOEL.

I'm glad Noel took the time to compile this report and had the guts to post it on this forum.

I support what Brian did. And I think anyone who thinks he should have wrestled Lila like some sort of crocodile hunter is crazy.
Faith
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 28th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Upon much consideration, we have decided since there has been no response from Eric regarding this matter we are again locking this thread. If anyone has any new info they would like to add or if Eric would like to make a statement please pm one of us & we will re-open it.

Thank you,

PBT Staff.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk