Empathy

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 10th, 2006, 7:13 pm

You know, Inara is my first pit. She's essentially my first dog - we had our husband's wolf hybrid with us for only a couple months before he died of old age. But it just amazes me how in tune she is with me. I had put her in her crate one morning because she was being obnoxious. Well, while she was in there I got some bad news and started crying. She flipped out. As soon as I opened the crate she leapt onto me and started licking my tears away. And then she sat on my lap and cuddled with me. And now I'm sick, and whenever I get into a bad coughing fit, she comes running and gets right in my face, staring at me until I tell her I'm okay. And when we're out in public, she's so gentle with the people she needs to be gentle with, and more outgoing with those who can handle it. It just blows my mind. Can I assume your pits have the same intuition?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » March 10th, 2006, 7:26 pm

I think its a dog thing?
:D
And yes, my dog is fairly in tune as well

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » March 10th, 2006, 10:25 pm

dogs read people very well, in my opinion.

She is reading off of you and them at the same time. Ruby is a huge comfort when I have a problem, to the point of being annoying, but it's very sweet at the same time.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Miakoda » March 11th, 2006, 12:11 am

Sometimes I think these dogs are too intune to us. With me being pregnant (5 mo. now....over halfway there!), several of my dogs have begun this strange thing. Whenever I'm lying on the couch, whoever is cuddling with me likes to put their head on my stonach. Wrigley cracks me up because he'll put his head on my stomach, ear flat, then lift his head up & put his nose on it & cock his head to the side. He then makes this "whooshing" noise which I'm sure the baby just loooves. I talked to my OB who said the dogs can hear the heartbeat & placenta sounds in addition to smelling physiological changes (much the same way dogs can sniff out cancers & tell when seizures are about to happen). Although it's cute, we have 5 dogs who are constantly obsessed with my belly & it gets quite old. Nothing like having someone's big head pushing down on you when you're already uncomfortable enough.

:crazy:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 11th, 2006, 12:28 am

Munkee is very in tune with me & my emotions. He also knows when I am sick & where I hurt. My back was KILLING me last night so he lay as close to me as possible with his back up to mine. When my stomach is bothering me he does the same thing. His warmth does help. And when I have had a crappy day he does his best to chear me up. Who needs therapy with a pit bull in your life?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bahamutt99 » March 11th, 2006, 1:31 am

Just wondering, did you name Inara after the Firefly series? (I love that show. One season my butt.)
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 11th, 2006, 8:44 am

God I love that show too! We have them all on DVD. I always liked her name, but I wanted to name Inara after a goddess. However, on the goddess page there was a goddess named Inara - she's the patron saint of all wild animals except dragons. So yeah, that kinda contributed. I miss that series so much!!!!!!!! Sci Fi was playing them all day yesterday.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby bahamutt99 » March 12th, 2006, 11:31 pm

:cistine:

Yeah, I've been trying to get the DVD set of Firefly, but places either don't have it or I don't have the money when I find it. Of course, we had to get Serenity as soon as it came out. (Actually, it was the movie Serenity that hooked my husband and myself. We went to see it, then found out it was based on a series. We're a little backward. :rolleyes2:)

Inara is a good name. After all, she was a "companion." :wink: I named my girl Loki after a god, and didn't realize what a popular name it was/is.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 13th, 2006, 8:30 am

Dogs are definately more intune to humans than most think IMO and not just with their owners

I see this alot when we go on therapy visits
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » March 13th, 2006, 9:14 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:Dogs are definately more intune to humans than most think IMO and not just with their owners

I see this alot when we go on therapy visits

Wally will often ignore me, or others, when we're sick. Doesn't act all snuggly like my old cat used to. Granted he has a tendency to ignore people anyway, and can be pretty aloof in public which is why I didn't think that therapy work would be good for him.

Until the day we were walking past the high school and a mentally challenged girl came running at us asking to pet Wally. He mother was trying to chase her down to get her to stop :)
But I said "sure" figuring Wally would ignore her. But instead when she leaned down he went right up to her and rested his nose on her forehead. He was very quiet with her, but very attentive. They can definitely sense things.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 13th, 2006, 9:43 am

My dal/ whippet mix is usually pretty aloof to everyone too-he wants you to throw something to him and not touch him until he is ready to cuddle for the night. We were at a disc tournty, ad a girl in a wheel chair was sitting there, she could hardly use her hands at all, but wanted to see him. I brought him over to her, and he set a disc in her lap. She shoved it off, and he picked it up and set it gently back in her lap (usually he plays the I'll pretend to give it to you and snatch it back game) she was laughing and smiling, and he patiently kept setting the disc back in her lap, until we had to go compete. He then was flying after 40 yard throws. I thought that was really cool, that he seemed to understand that she couldn't do any more than that, and she was enjoying it. Normally if you keep shoving something off your lap, he starts barking at you to 'throw it already!'.

Dogs are amazing creatures.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby aurora » March 27th, 2006, 10:34 am

My one dog Roxy is very intuitive when it comes to people. Around boisterous adults she'll run and play and be a little rough, but around kids and older people she's very sedate. My sister in law is deathly afraid of dogs and when she came over, Roxy crept up quietly on the couch and just sat next to her with her head on her lap. She's very good about knowing how far to go. Biggie is just a big goof who hasn't learned yet what's appropriate and what's not, so he'll be amped no matter who it is. And Hef is a little of both. By herself she's a fairly laidback dog but she will get riled up if someone initiates play, around Biggie though she tends to feed off of him and get a little crazy. They're both young though, so I'm hoping they'll settle down.
aurora
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » April 11th, 2006, 7:53 am

I hurt my hand and Dreyfus went right to the pot and tarted licking. He' done that before. Blows my mind. :o
Romanwild
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 11th, 2006, 8:16 am

I think your S key is sticking Roman, -'right to the pot and tarted licking'? I can read some stuff into THAT! :wink:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 11th, 2006, 8:30 am

o you're aying my key i ticking? :?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby PittieLove » April 11th, 2006, 2:34 pm

i think dogs knwo more then we think :rolleyes2:
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 11th, 2006, 2:35 pm

if i am mad they all stay far away..
if i am sick or upset, they are all right next to me or in bed with me..
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Pit Bull Talk