Taking a Walk.

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rockermom » March 10th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Yeah warm weather finally got to do what I have been dreaming of since I got Rocky 4 months ago a real walk. A nice 2 1/2 mile walk through town. Interesting encounters along the way. First the noisest spring noise we walked right past a chipper shreader tree truck thing making that horrible noise. Hurt my ears. Rocky just walked by with his ears back. Then two old men and a dog Rocky was a little nervous about this big dog. Then an old lady leaving senior center. Puts her hand out at first I was not sure is she signaling stay away. so I put Rocky on the other side so he would not make her nervous. But as we got closer she said ohhh I love dogs he is pretty. We stopped she pet him he did not try to jump. On we went. We stopped for a quick break, a young lady walked by stopped put her hand in a down position he sniffed and licked her hand she pet and kept on. Almost to the bus stop now when this darn rotti maybe mix who I have seen wondering before almost gets hit by a car comming to say hello to Rocky. Finally a police car passes and chases him home.Now the best part sooo tired when we get to the bus stop (which usually gets him all excited). He lays down in the sun and waits for the bus. He does not get up untill he sees his boy get off the bus. That one is just too hard for Rocky to controll. I never knew he could walk so slow on the way home. I am looking forward to warmer weather. YES!!!!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 10th, 2006, 5:50 pm

YEAH Rocky!!!!! way to go!!!!!!! that was excellent!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 10th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Maryellen I was hoping you would be here. One question I have for you. I felt comfortable walking past old man with dog when from a distance I saw him tell his do to sit but as soon as we aproached he said my dog is friendly its ok. So I stopped to say hello to the man and he let his dog go up to Rocky this dog was big and went right in rockys face with paws. Rocky looked nervous so I said common Rock and walked on. Should I say right away we are in training my dog is to ignore your dog. Or should I allow sniffing first? What is the right way for having a good citizen?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 10th, 2006, 6:06 pm

i would say your dog is in training and ask to have their dog not go up to rockys face... some dogs dont like other dogs intheir faces, and it could cause a problem, but overall rocky behaved excellent!!! the right way is for your dog to ignore the other dog.. you saw rocky was nervous, and you did right by pulling him away... even if people say their dog is friendly, make sure you tell them very authorative that rocky is in training and to keeptheir dog away.. if the person insists on talking to you, put rocky on the other side of you, and talk, but keep an eye on their dog and rocky, this way if their dog moves you can see and move back with rocky and remind them to control their dog..

also, most dogs dont like meeting face to face, they like to meet and sniff each others butts first..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 10th, 2006, 6:44 pm

houlabulla? wrote:I felt comfortable walking past old man with dog when from a distance I saw him tell his do to sit but as soon as we aproached he said my dog is friendly its ok.

Never trust people who say this. In my experience John Q Public are idiots about their dogs and dog behavior. They will say 'my dog is friendly' and then when the dog goes after your dog they will say 'wow, he's never done that before' if your dog returns the attack they will say 'you have a vicious Pit Bull and my dog was only playing'

Also, if the other person has their dog on a flexi lead, especially the kind with the cord, don't let them anywhere near your dog. Even if the dogs get along perfictly if they get tangled up in the leash they could be seriously injured or killed. The boxer resuce near me lost a dog because two dogs got tangled and the one strangled before they could get them apart. The dog who was strangling was flipping out (understandably) and the other dog paniced as well, they were too knotted together to save the one dog.

I agree with Maryellen, keep them away from your dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » March 10th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Im a friggin wuss. Never speak up for myself. Rocky will have to teach me to be strong. I knew I should have said exactly that. But the nice old man saying ohh my dog just wants to play.I always just want to be nice. I dont actually care to let him sniff strange dogs on the street. Oh and Im not a fan of flexi leads. Im a spaz and cant handle using it. I like Rocky walking my side anyway. Not way off ahead of me.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 10th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Wow, tha is tragic. We had two bull terriers get caught together in martingale collars, of course there is no buckle, but luckily the guy there had a knife and cut it off before the one dog was suffocated. Luckily they both froze and let us deal with it. I do not use martingales because of that-I do not always remember to take off their collars.

Way to go Rocky!! I agree, do not let the average Joe tell you about his dog-likely he hasn't a clue. I tell people all the time when hiking how to handle my dog, and as soon as I say "a rescue dog in training" they are great.

Well, not training to be a rescue dog, but you know what I mean :?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 11th, 2006, 12:38 am

Never trust people who say this.

EXACTLY!!! I have had people tell me that & also say ( as their dogs is hanging from my leg) "he's NEVER done that before!!" Well, damn, he's doing it now! :evil:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull Talk