Pit Bulls and Dog Parks Don't Mix

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jenn » January 4th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Perhaps maybe you should READ what other's are saying, and not just skim the parts that you would like to call stupid??

Did you come here to "stir it up", or actually be a part of this board?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Tubular Toby » January 4th, 2011, 1:08 pm

I knew there was something off in the introduction thread when there were chances for conversation and he never once really replied to anyone...
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby copperlegend » January 4th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Yeah...
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 4th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Remember, they are named the American PIT Bull Terrier for a reason. Yes, they were great family dogs, however, their main purpose was fighting in the pit, hence the name. Many dogs don't have dog aggression which is wonderful! However, you never know when the wrong dog is going to set your dog off. Also, many of our dogs won't start a fight but they will be more than happy to get involved in a rumble and finish it. That puts another nail in the coffin for our breed and those of us who work hard to prevent breed bans.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Wow, you don't know anything about breed history do you? They were the "nanny dog" because they are super tolerant of all the crap that kids dish out to animals. That has nothing to do with them not being great with other dogs.

If you're here to be a troll, please find somewhere else to be. If you're here to engage in discussion, by all means please do so, but please re-read your posts before you hit "submit," they are nearly unreadable.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » January 4th, 2011, 3:42 pm

cyberchef wrote:My 90 lb pitbull
Your scales are whacko or you're over feeding. :|

Sorry Michelle, I couldn't resist. :doh:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:
cyberchef wrote:My 90 lb pitbull
Your scales are whacko or you're over feeding. :|

Sorry Michelle, I couldn't resist. :doh:

lol

No problem. That's HUGE for a Pit Bull - Mr. Riggs is a whopping 45 pounds, and Connor tips the scales at 56 (and he's a chubbo) - so we're talking a mix most likely anyway.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » January 4th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Dude...I don't take my HERDING dogs to the dog park for fear they'll get in the mix too much (their favorite game is called "Lab-herding"). I can't imagine the problems with taking a pit bull (no matter how social) to the dog park.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PittieGirl » January 11th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Brindlebaby wrote:I have to confess, I'm guilty. I have taken my pup to a local dog park that has a very small population of dogs. And I have observed many people do not watch the dogs. They are more involved in chitter chatter, than to pay attention to their dogs running off leash. I've also seen people who want to be the dog whisperer and walk several dogs at once, when it's really the dogs walking the walker... I have let my pup off leash with a few small dogs that we're friendly - but that was at nine weeks, a few puppies, and a small area. We continued to go until recently, since he is now six months, and is interested in mounting...(pending a neuter). Now we just walk in a wildlife park locally. We see other dogs there too, but mine is on a leash. It has been a positive experience for Chico and myself in the sense that he did experience socialization. But now he is older, and nothing is worth losing him. I have studied his breed, and know what he is genetically hardwired to do. And thanks to this posting, I will continue to be reminded not to set my dog up for failure. Thanks for this board and topic.

True, its better to not risk your Pittie to get into a fight at a dog park, but since your dog was just a puppy(under 6 months, being that), i'd say he was fine. Althouhg, typically around 6 months, but not guaranteed, this breed has the tendancy to have dog-aggression issues. Early socialization can help greatly, but you never know when your Piite's "dog aggression" instinct will kick in. Just make sure to keep your dog leashed at all times and only allow him to have play "dates" with people and dogs that you know and trust. Hopes this helps. :D
Remember...
There can be ONLY one...
PittieGirl
Just Whelped

Postby Big Dog Natural » June 9th, 2011, 1:11 pm

I've never been a fan of dog parks. Too many irresponsible owners and too much risk. I prefer to take my guys to a state park, on leash, and let them have their fun. Believe me, they gather plenty of attention whenever we go. Not to say your dog can't pick something up at a state park but the odds are less than at a dog park. JMHO.

Bes
Big Dog Natural
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » June 9th, 2011, 8:56 pm

A good article on why dog parks aren't good for any dog

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/dog-p ... avoid-them
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » June 10th, 2011, 10:10 am

TheRedQueen wrote:A good article on why dog parks aren't good for any dog

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/dog-p ... avoid-them

That's a good article. I've never been a dog park fan. I tried to take LiLo to the dog park as a puppy - she was the first puppy I had ever raised. A GSD mix that shouldn't have been at the park started chasing her, LiLo came running to me, she was screaming, rolling over, and peeing and the dog was nose punching her and was getting ramped up and ready to eat her even though she was doing everything right to say "please stop and leave me alone, I give up". The owner couldn't catch the dog and wanted ME to grab the dog. After that I decided, just as the article said there's too many unknowns.

Another time I was at the dog park with a friend, she has a Pit Bull - there was no one there initially which is why she came out. We figured we could let the dogs run in the fenced area. Eventually a person brought in a Boxer and they then tell us the dog has had dog aggression issues and they are basically trying to socialize him even though the dog is like 2yrs+. They keep telling him to "be nice" and all this crap... we were like 'see ya later bye!' They were a perfect example of why you can't trust people at the dog park. They have a dog who has attacked other dogs in the past but they still keep coming to the park.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Big Dog Natural » June 10th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Unfortunately Suzanne.... there's no test for "stupid". Sometimes you have to wonder about those who walk among us...

I heard on the news last night about some dog park fiasco.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/east-side-dog-park-war-20110609

Bes
Big Dog Natural
Just Whelped

Postby whododat » July 22nd, 2011, 6:47 am

Hi everyone,

The wife and I went to a dog park in Echo Lake park NJ. We had been there before with our, now deceased, rottweiler. He had a blast there everytime. Last week we took our 8 month old blue female and kept her on the leash as I had no intention of just letting her run around. As soon as we entered the area her mood went from happy go lucky to very stiff and NOT happy go lucky. I walked her from one end of the area to the other and her mood never changed. She is best friends with our boston terrier but definitely did not appreciate the other dogs. That was a good lesson for the wife and I. Anyway, she is a fantastic dog and we are so glad we have her. Probably the most loving dog we have ever had.
whododat
Just Whelped

Postby Tubular Toby » July 22nd, 2011, 12:29 pm

I'm glad that your dog got the point across without anything bad happening. It may not even be that your dog doesn't like *all* other dogs, but if there were a lot of dogs, she may have felt insecure. I'm sure that there were some "rude" dogs, which could have had her concerned. Also being a leash and can make the dog feel trapped (but I wouldn't try it again off leash! I would just stay away). If your dog enjoys playing with other dogs, try to find friends with dogs that your dog can play with. I would undoubtedly avoid the dog park, and try to ensure that all of her dog interactions are positive. Whenever she is playing with any other dog, be sure that it is *supervised*. Please keep in mind that she is only 8 months old and it's not uncommon for dogs to become more selective about who they want to be around as they mature.

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start! Now... where are those pictures of your pretty girl? :)
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby whododat » July 23rd, 2011, 11:26 am

Here she is. A goofy pic w phone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whododat
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk