the new kid

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jenn » March 1st, 2006, 5:12 pm

looks like a handful, good luck with him..
Jenn
undecided

Postby JCleve86 » March 1st, 2006, 5:40 pm

mnp13 wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that it is an absolute. There are dogs that can be pets and working dogs, and dogs that can't.

Personally, I haven't managed to keep things 'black and white' with Ruby, so we're starting out very black and white with Riggs.

One of the best dogs in PSA right now is a full time, sleep on the bed house dog. But those dogs are not the majority.

Part of me wonders whether that has more to do with the dog or the owner.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 5:44 pm

In my case? The owner. I can't speak for others.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby JCleve86 » March 1st, 2006, 5:48 pm

I think with enough dedication and effort, as with Harry Face, the vast majority of dogs can be house pets. Not TYPICAL house pets, mind you. I can leave my Boxers in the house and come home to everything in one piece, them drooling on the couch. You definitely COULDN'T do that with a high drive working dog. However, I don't think that type of background should doom a dog to being kenneled or crated or tied out when not in use.

It's like game dog people who feel that if a pit bull can't be fought, we will lose what the breed is. It's only true because they have convinced themselves that it's true.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby bustersmama » March 1st, 2006, 5:53 pm

Just to clarify, when you say working dog - does that soley mean bite work? Is there any other type of "work" that you would want the personal time you spent with the dog limited until your "role" is established (or better yet his job?) Please, I am really clueless and just asking.

I am asking because I was a little confused until Demo put it into terms I could understand. I am so un-familiar with this sport.

Also does Ruby and Conner perform their work as though it is a game? Again, the reason I am asking - I read a post not to long ago (I think it was Odnarbs) that the pit bull they did bite work with did well in competitions but if was ever asked to "attack" someone in a real world situation it might hesitate due to pit bull temperament.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 1st, 2006, 6:33 pm

Looks like a fun dog to work with! :P
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 7:18 pm

bustersmama wrote:Just to clarify, when you say working dog - does that soley mean bite work? Is there any other type of "work" that you would want the personal time you spent with the dog limited until your "role" is established (or better yet his job?) Please, I am really clueless and just asking.

It all depends on the dog and the handler - as usual. I know agility people who have dogs that primarily live in their crates or kennels, with supervised house time. It's the same with any sport.

Also does Ruby and Conner perform their work as though it is a game? Again, the reason I am asking - I read a post not to long ago (I think it was Odnarbs) that the pit bull they did bite work with did well in competitions but if was ever asked to "attack" someone in a real world situation it might hesitate due to pit bull temperament.

Riggs currently has 2 legs of his weight pull title, something towards his conformation title (I can't remember), and has started bitework. "Work" can be anything: high level obedience, rally-o, agility, therapy, personal protection, bite sport, etc.

Ruby's only work is therapy. A few people have told me she could be a very high scoring OB dog, but that depends on my handling, which is not exactly exemplery.

As for the dogs that would 'really bite', it all depends on the dog. There are plenty of bite trained dogs who would not bite for real. I don't think the breed has as much to do with it as people think. It has a lot to do with the individual dog, the handler and the training.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » March 1st, 2006, 7:21 pm

Congratulations on your new addition! He's beautiful and I wish you two the best of luck for the future.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 7:23 pm

thanks!

We just got back from his bath... lol

take a look in the gallery in a few minutes
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 2nd, 2006, 9:25 am

Congrats! Can't wait to meet him!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby babyreba » March 2nd, 2006, 12:01 pm

very handsome. and looks very intense!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby turtle » March 2nd, 2006, 11:19 pm

Congrats!!! Good lookin' dog!

What's he weigh? How old is he? I've not seen many pit bulls that were registered with the ADBA, UKC, and AKC.

I bet he's a great worker and you'll have a blast with him!

What happened with Roger the Rottie you were considering?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 2nd, 2006, 11:25 pm

You haven't seen any. AKC doesn't register pit bulls, he is registered Am Staff with them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » March 2nd, 2006, 11:36 pm

I didn't mean that to seem rude. :oops:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » March 2nd, 2006, 11:59 pm

Dreyfus should have been triple registered but someone messed up the paperwork a couple of generations ago. :rolleyes2: He's ADBA and UKC.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 3rd, 2006, 12:14 am

Most the K-9 officers I've worked around keep their dogs as family pets. That goes for the bomb dogs and the patrol dogs and drug dogs alike.
Of course if the family pet and the working dog don't get along the family pet has to leave 1st. :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 3rd, 2006, 1:16 am

Congrats, Michelle! He's a very handsome dog. :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 9:20 am

gf turtle wrote:Congrats!!! Good lookin' dog!

What's he weigh? How old is he? I've not seen many pit bulls that were registered with the ADBA, UKC, and AKC.

I bet he's a great worker and you'll have a blast with him!

What happened with Roger the Rottie you were considering?

I'm not sure what he weighs, I'd guess around 50 pounds. I had to pick him up at the dog washing place, and he's lighter than Ruby.

He's three I think. Chris told me, but I was on total information overload so it went in one ear and out the other.

Roger is a great dog but would not have worked out. He's dog aggressive, so would have to ride in the car crated... but his crate is too big to fit in my car. We would have had to take two cars if we wanted to bring all three dogs somewhere. He's also just way too big.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby turtle » March 3rd, 2006, 11:15 pm

mnp13 wrote:
gf turtle wrote:What happened with Roger the Rottie you were considering?

Roger is a great dog but would not have worked out. He's dog aggressive, so would have to ride in the car crated... but his crate is too big to fit in my car. We would have had to take two cars if we wanted to bring all three dogs somewhere. He's also just way too big.

Yeah, Rotties are darned big! Roger's a handsome dog but he was a lot of dog... And being dog aggressive would make it tough.

Riggs is a good size at 50 pounds or so. I hope you have a good time with him and keep us updated, too.

turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » March 3rd, 2006, 11:18 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:You haven't seen any. AKC doesn't register pit bulls, he is registered Am Staff with them.

LOL, Debby, yes I knew that the AKC would have him registered as an Am Staff... I just forgot to put that in! It's just that I have not run across very many triple registered dogs.

turtle
Loyally Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk