Hardwood Floors VS APBTS

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Would you recommend hardwood flooring for APBT owners?

Yes, they are great
25%
Only in small areas
No votes
Only with throw rugs positioned around
45%
No way, never
30%

Total votes : 20

Postby turtle » February 25th, 2006, 10:34 pm

pLaurent wrote:Very important: If you want hardwood floors, which I highly recommend due to the ease of cleaning up any "ooopsies", make sure you get a satin finish, and NOT high gloss. High gloss floors show the tiniest scratch, and satin doesn't!

PL, your floors look great! And I'd not heard that about the high gloss and the satin....

My floors here have the high gloss because I was told it is a harder finish. It's held up very well for 20 years, it only has minor scratches. And my old house in Florida had the same moisture cured polyurethane, that's where I learned about it. We lived there for about 10 years with several dogs and those floors did not scratch either.

I think the wood floors in older houses tend to be harder just because the wood is old and has dried out over the years. New wood floors always seem softer and more apt to scratch. I'd still vote for 3 or more coats of moisture cured poly for a finish on any wood floor.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby pLaurent » February 25th, 2006, 11:24 pm

I did have a pretty area rug in my living room, but after it was peed on multiple times while Chloe had her bladder problem, I chucked it.

My floors here have the high gloss because I was told it is a harder finish.

Right. I'm not saying it scratches more easily, just that if it does scratch, the mark is very obvious in the gloss!

My floor, with the combination of satin finish and colour variations of the strip oak, is very good at hiding imperfections or even dirt! :D

Pl, your floors are beautiful!!

Thanks! I do very little to keep them that way. I love anything that makes my life easier!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Kangas Mommy » February 26th, 2006, 2:34 pm

We just moved into our first house. It is all hard wood. It wasnt in perfect condition when we got it but as far as doggy damage the only place that seems to get it is the bottom and top of the stairs. I love it though easy to clean and just looks nice. My last apartment was all carpet and let me tell you looked like butt most of the time. A lot of shampooing the floors YUCK!
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby valliesong » February 27th, 2006, 12:45 pm

our house was built in the 1840s, and i am sooooooooo looking forward to pulling out the wall-to-wall carpeting and refinishing the floors. even the kitchen has carpeting, and when it is really humid outside, you can smell the previous owners' dogs' accidents in the rooms with older carpeting. no wonder i have been having a few issues with marking since i moved in!

since these floors are old and i have no clue about their condition, i may have to use a bit of wood putty in places to fill up cracks. these floors may need to be painted rather than stained. can i paint and then polyurethane? how do you suggest i finish such floors?
Val

Ethical Bull Breed Rescue & Referral - http://www.ebbrr.org
One by One Cat Rescue - http://1by1catrescue.org
valliesong
Just Whelped

Postby SpiritFngrz » February 27th, 2006, 12:58 pm

I cringe every time she scampers on those wood floors. They are so scratched up. Yes, different woods are more durable than others. In our new house we are putting tile in the foyer and kitchen. The dining room and living room will have hardwood floors but french doors to keep out the doggie nails!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Miakoda » February 27th, 2006, 2:09 pm

What about the wood laminate flooring? We won't put wood floors in the main living room due to Wrigley's severe hip dysplasia (& the fact when he gets the zoomies, he would slip & seriously hurt himself), however, we are wanting to put in in the bedrooms (mind you I have 14 dogs kennels in my house in spare bedrooms). The guy at the flooring place told me that dogs cannot hurt the wood laminate flooring.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk