Hardwood Floors VS APBTS

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Would you recommend hardwood flooring for APBT owners?

Yes, they are great
25%
Only in small areas
No votes
Only with throw rugs positioned around
45%
No way, never
30%

Total votes : 20

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 25th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Who here has hardwood floors and how do they hold up with the dogs running and playing on them? The house I’m looking at has them so I’m curious

Thanks in advance
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Romanwild » February 25th, 2006, 1:04 pm

I have oak and any exposeds part gets messed up.

Personaly tile or even carpeting would be my first choice.

Are you thinking of putting hardwood in?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 25th, 2006, 1:27 pm

I have seen awful things happen to hardwood floors because of these big lugs.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » February 25th, 2006, 2:00 pm

mine are a little scuffed.. the best hardwood floors to have are Wolmonite Elite pergo floors, they are scratch proof.. i was in a home doing a home check and saw how great that floor was...

you can add throw rugs too.. cleaning is soooo easier with hardwood
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » February 25th, 2006, 2:04 pm

I have oak hardwood floors which were refinished and polyurethaned about 2 years ago. I find my kids do more damage to them then the dogs.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pLaurent » February 25th, 2006, 2:06 pm

I have 2500 sq feet of oak flooring and have had dogs here for 15 years. I allow Chloe to run and play in the basement and she's been doing it for 4 years now. The floor is scratched a bit, but not badly and it was already scratched by the previous homeowner's dog.

She knows she's not allowed going ballistic or having zoomies in the upstairs main floor and the floors there are perfectly fine.

Very important: If you want hardwood floors, which I highly recommend due to the ease of cleaning up any "ooopsies", make sure you get a satin finish, and NOT high gloss. High gloss floors show the tiniest scratch, and satin doesn't!:)
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby luvmyangels » February 25th, 2006, 2:26 pm

pLaurent wrote:I have 2500 sq feet of oak flooring and have had dogs here for 15 years. I allow Chloe to run and play in the basement and she's been doing it for 4 years now. The floor is scratched a bit, but not badly and it was already scratched by the previous homeowner's dog.

She knows she's not allowed going ballistic or having zoomies in the upstairs main floor and the floors there are perfectly fine.

Very important: If you want hardwood floors, which I highly recommend due to the ease of cleaning up any "ooopsies", make sure you get a satin finish, and NOT high gloss. High gloss floors show the tiniest scratch, and satin doesn't!:)

Hmmmmm I wish I knew you before I refinished my floors. Thank you for that information.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 25th, 2006, 2:34 pm

They are brand new and already in the house I'm looking at ... personally I'd prefer tile but I hate to replace a new floor. I guess I'll have to deal with it and hope for the bst if they take my bid on the house LOL...

Keep the advice and ideas coming please

I found this article

I found this info:
http://www.all-dog-beds.com/cofadogbedco.html
A dogs feet and claws should not damage the floor, but you should check the hardness of your flooring material first.

So you should consider three coats of an oil-based urethane finish in a satin sheen to provide the best protection and clip your dogs nails on a regular basis. Sweeping and vacuuming weekly to remove dirt and fur. Be sure to wipe up any spills immediately since standing water can damage floors. That brings us to water bowls. Choose a bowl with stable bases that prevent tipping. Some bowls even come in stands. Hardwood floors can be a healthy choice for homes with dogs. Unlike carpeting, wood floors don't harbor animal dander, ticks, fleas or other allergens.

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Favorite Kitty » February 25th, 2006, 2:53 pm

We put in hardwood floors on the main floor of the house. It has been 1 year and 2 months since they were put in and they look like hell to me. Haven has trashed them with his fat ass in the short 4 months he has been here. I don't care who tells you that hardwoods should be fine with dogs. THEY LIE!

It isn't that he gets frisky, but if he decides to lay right behind me while I'm cooking and I trip over him, he freaks. He runs across the room to get to my bedroom. If someone comes to the door, you bet he's going to claw his way across the house to be the first to see who it is. If he wants to race the kids upstairs before bed. SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH! If something drops off the counter that he might *think* is edible, CLAW! I don't care what anyone says, 70 lbs of anything attached to little paws and claws, is going to ruin your floors. I also hate that his water is almost always covering at least half of the kitchen floor. What he doesn't lick out of his bowl, he drools it. Easy enough to mop, but sometimes I can't get to it right away and I'm afraid we are going to ruin the floor even more. I'd rather have tile and carpet, also. I love my tiled entry way!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby pLaurent » February 25th, 2006, 3:32 pm

We put in hardwood floors on the main floor of the house. It has been 1 year and 2 months since they were put in and they look like hell to me

Sounds like someone skimped on the most important part - the durable finish. Some builders/contracters put one coat on, and that wont' work.

My floor has several hard coats of poly. I used to have wall-to-wall carpets and I don't want to count the hours of labor trying to clean pee or puke accidents on it. Now I use one swipe of a paper towel! :D

Here's my BASEMENT floor after 15 years of dog-wear on it and all the dogs were over 70lbs. Please excuse hideous bedspread - that's Chloe's!

And here's part of my main floor. I hate to think of what carpets would look like by now!

Seeing is believing!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby annieinpa » February 25th, 2006, 3:36 pm

The house we're in now, has hardwood floors throughout the house. They're fine. I use Murphy Oil to wash them. You can't tell that they're scratched/buff unless you look really close at the floor.

My wood doors on the other hand, well our gsd did an excellent job scratching them up. (trying to figure out how to fix it and make it nice again).

Our dogs still aren't use to the floors yet. they come charging at 100mph and start sliding and can't stop. LOL :fastRoll:
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby chance's mom » February 25th, 2006, 3:48 pm

chance can not get a grip when he walks through our kitchen which is all wood floors, he looks like a dog trying to walk on ice, hahaha. i worry most that he will hurt his leg or hip becuase he seriously slides all over!!! i would not recommend it for that reason alone. its not worth my boy being hurt nor the vet bill! we bought long rugs to put throughout the kitchen, he will carefully walk to them, but you can not get him to move off whatever carpet he picks!
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby annieinpa » February 25th, 2006, 3:57 pm

IF you choose to keep the floors and not cover them, you can get plastic (it goes on the dogs nails) so they don't scratch anything.

I'mlooking into getting that for my boys.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 25th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Pl, your floors are beautiful!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Favorite Kitty » February 25th, 2006, 9:11 pm

I need to point out that I will get on my hands and knees to look at my floors. I don't see the scratches, i see gouges! We got the most expensive wood floors in the width we wanted. It is also stronger than normal hardwood floors because it is prefinished before installing. We specifically asked for the strongest stuff because of kids, pets, and boyfriends :) The finish is still there, it's just cute little dog claw width of gouges everywhere. I have never had anyone notice, but like I said, imma little anal ;) I'll never do it again.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 25th, 2006, 9:52 pm

pLaurent wrote:
Sounds like someone skimped on the most important part - the durable finish. Some builders/contracters put one coat on, and that wont' work.

My floor has several hard coats of poly.

Seeing is believing!

Wow the floor looks great! :clap: Nice job!

Ok if I get this house, I'll be bugging you to talk me through how to put the coating on the right way :|

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 25th, 2006, 9:54 pm

annieinpa wrote:IF you choose to keep the floors and not cover them, you can get plastic (it goes on the dogs nails) so they don't scratch anything.

I'mlooking into getting that for my boys.

Those are called soft paws. I doubt they would last on mine as they run and play hard outside. But , I honestly did think about that.
They were great though on my cat when she was younger she was a big scratcher as she got older I stopped using them

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Purple » February 25th, 2006, 10:05 pm

We have ceramic tile and pergo.....pergo is great!!
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » February 25th, 2006, 10:17 pm

I have original hardwood pine floors in an old home that has been redone. The floors don't show much pet damage but in my opinion are a pain in the butt to keep clean. I'd rather vacuum carpet anyday... Constantly have pet hair, dust, or something else to clean up it's amazing to me how I can clean completely or even have someone clean yet I always find something is on the floor... Though as far as pets doing the damage I'd say nothing more that any other floor. I do have the oriental type rugs though in the middle of the floors. :) Good luck with your new home, and Congrats.
You can see both in this pic, look pretty good considering the age of the floor....

Jenn
undecided

Postby turtle » February 25th, 2006, 10:22 pm

I love my hardwood floors!

I like older houses and most of those have the strip oak floors which can be refinished. I had the floors refinished in this house 20 years ago before we moved in. That's the time to do it, so you don't have to move everything out and you don't have to live with the polyurethane smell while it dries.

I specially asked for them to use "moisture cured polyurethane" which is what is used on basket ball courts. It's hard to get that now because it's pretty toxic to the person putting it on. It really stinks until it dries. But it holds up great. They sanded the oak floors and used 3 coats of the moisture cured poly. My floors look fine after 20 years.

I do have area rugs and there are some scratches in a few key places where she runs like an idiot. But most of the time she does not scratch the floors when she runs. And I think she likes to slide on my smaller throw rugs.

I lived with tile (terrazza) floors in Florida and while they were cool in the summer, they are very hard if you have to stand on them for any length of time. My legs and ankles would ache if I stood on them for an hour or more. And if you drop anything, it is sure to break. Those floors were really cold in winter too, even in Florida.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk