Chemo fund?

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby plebayo » October 18th, 2010, 2:37 pm

I'm posting this from my phone so excuse any typos/errors.

A gal just joined the forum and she has an organization called save an angel. They raise funds to help people pay for chemo from what i'm understanding. I'm going to talk to her more but I have been interested in starting a project like this. Someone was selfless enough to help me with my dog and I would love to pay it forward.

I think more people would try treating their dogs with cancer if they had some financial aid. The fund wouldn't have to strictly be for chemo, it could be to help fund any kind of treatment like if there's an herbal supplement someone wanted to try but couldn't afford money could go toward that etc.

I have a lot of ideas but really have no friends interested, i may talk to our nccf chapter leader and see if she is interested. If anyone has ideas, wants to do this maybe pm me? The fund wouldn't have to be restricted to my state or anyone else's, people all over need help.

Anyway I thought I'd ask around here and see if anyone is interested, like I said feel free to pm me. It's an idea i've been tossing around for a while... hmm so yeah :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » October 18th, 2010, 3:31 pm

PBT has a similiar one, Suzanne. It is called PAY IT FORWARD. This is the thread that Michelle and Admin came up with. It is for "all" emergencies".

viewforum.php?f=63

This section is where requests for monetary assistance can be made. The staff came up with this idea as a way to be fair to everybody and not "pick and choose" who gets to do emergency fund-raisers (car accidents, natural disasters, medical crises that require immediate attention). If members decide they'd like to donate money to somebody, they can come here and see who needs some help.

Rules are as follows:

1. Only staff may post here.
2. Only members with 1000 posts or more may request that information be placed here.
3. If you want a request posted here, PM me with the info you want: the situation, where money can be donated, etc. The more details, the better; but remember, everybody can see this. Ideally, we'd like to see vet information so funds can be given directly to the medical provider, however, we realize this is not always feasible.
4. If you want to suggest somebody for this section, please PM me. I will then contact that person and see if they are okay with being put here. Just please remember, everything goes through ME first for approval!
5. If you make a request, please let me know as soon as your situation is under control so that we can remove it to allow others to receive help.
6. This section is not limited to dog-related emergencies.

Please PM me with any questions or requests for help. This board has the best, most generous members, and we all thank you for that. :)

(Disclaimer: PBT cannot be held responsible for how donations are used)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » October 18th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Thanks for letting me know about this Joyce! I wasn't thinking about starting this organization as a pbt organization... mostly as something for public outreach and for anyone, not just people on this board. The reason i posted here is because my friends arent huge into dogs and i'm not sure i could run something like this alone, i talked to my dad about it and he may be of some help but he's not much of a dog person either.

thanks muchly for the info this truly is an amazing community.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » October 18th, 2010, 5:50 pm

YAY I'm on a computer now and can type faster!

I pretty much just posted here because I really don't know anyone who would be interested in starting something like this and I'm not really sure this is something I could do on my own. I mean... I still have a lot to think about and maybe I'll go through with it. I'm going to talk with Kristie a little bit more [she does Save-an-angel] if I can't get something going here she said they're always looking for volunteers so maybe I'll go that route too.

I have seen the board section but never really knew what it was... like I said in my other post this community is AMAZING.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » October 18th, 2010, 5:51 pm

I realize you were thinking of how to make this into some sort of outreach program, and I think it is a wonderfully kind idea. It would be a lot of work, but you would feel great that you helped others get financial aid in crisis times.

Unfortunately, the "downside" is that not all people are honest and many con artists are out there, so be careful! I recently read of a girl in her 20's maybe who pretended SHE had cancer and took in lots of personal donations.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » October 18th, 2010, 6:01 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I realize you were thinking of how to make this into some sort of outreach program, and I think it is a wonderfully kind idea. It would be a lot of work, but you would feel great that you helped others get financial aid in crisis times.

Unfortunately, the "downside" is that not all people are honest and many con artists are out there, so be careful! I recently read of a girl in her 20's maybe who pretended SHE had cancer and took in lots of personal donations.

I agree about the downside of things... people are absolutely horrible. I have a few ideas on how to avoid being scammed, this whole idea is a lot of work. This has just kind of been something I've been thinking about off and on as a way to help people and their dogs out however it's just not something I can feel totally confident doing alone. I appreciate the feedback and the warnings.

People truly suck sometimes, and then you come to this forum and it makes it all better :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » October 18th, 2010, 6:38 pm

It's a WONDERFUL idea, Suzanne... but I agree w/Joyce - be very careful whom you trust and use extreme caution, especially when it comes to financial aid.
Sometimes it's very hard to weed out the scammers, and you'll get your heart broken a hundred times for every one time the need for help is actually legit. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » October 18th, 2010, 6:42 pm

amazincc wrote:It's a WONDERFUL idea, Suzanne... but I agree w/Joyce - be very careful whom you trust and use extreme caution, especially when it comes to financial aid.
Sometimes it's very hard to weed out the scammers, and you'll get your heart broken a hundred times for every one time the need for help is actually legit. :hug3:

Thanks again for the heads up, I appreciate it.

I think in terms of dealing with people/getting people funding I would go through the veterinary clinic. My thought is that one way to qualify is by talking with a veterinarian. Having the veterinarian say what the cancer is, what the treatment needs to be, how much that treatment is and in terms of funding paying the veterinary clinic directly.

This is all just things I've thought up... again, I may just end up volunteering for Save an Angel because this is definitely something I can't do alone.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Canine Cancer