Question...

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » March 1st, 2010, 4:17 pm

Sepp is on Cephalexin (500 mg 2x daily), and those capsules are fairly huge. They can't be crushed or chewed and have to be "swallowed whole", so out of necessity I pretty much pry open his jaw and push them down his throat as far as I can. Then he immediately gets a treat to make sure he swallowed the damned thing...
Anyway - I have long fingers, and I *think* I am touching "something" in the back of his throat... like a flap of skin almost??? Is that possible? I've never noticed it before (and I think I would have), so I'm inclined to make another vet appointment... when we went to get his cough checked out they didn't look down his throat, per say, just did a quick look-see while he yawned... and, of course, didn't see much of anything.
Could his tonsils be swollen and would I be able to feel that? Or what else could it be?
He's still doing a LOT of trying to "clear his throat", and today I noticed excessive pawing at his face. He's also very hesitant to eat, but seems to be hungry. He's drinking/going to the bathroom/acting normal otherwise, and he's not giving me a hard time about taking his meds.
I also thought if he has any swelling in his throat it should've went down by now, because he's been on the antibiotics for almost four days. :?

ETA: Made an appointment for tomorrow morning at 9:30, but any insight is appreciated.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby dlynne1123 » March 1st, 2010, 4:32 pm

Yes, touching the uvula, good though it stimulates the swallowing. And crushing is fine, but it takes like crap so the capsule protects them from that flavor. Give with food too, b/c it can cause upset tummy! I also like to chase with a squirt of water to help get it down.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyChick » March 1st, 2010, 4:35 pm

Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked on the outside for swelling of his lymph glands? He could have swelling in the lymph glands under his jaw if he is having an allergic reaction to something.

I wonder if you could be touching his uvula too.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » March 1st, 2010, 4:36 pm

Uhm... no... it's just a "flap" on one side... I should've clarified. The uvuala is located in the "middle", right?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » March 1st, 2010, 4:37 pm

HappyChick wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked on the outside for swelling of his lymph glands?

Obsessivley, actually. :oops:
I can't feel anything on the outside.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby maberi » March 1st, 2010, 4:39 pm

Off topic but what about hiding them in a giant glob of peanut butter. That is what i use for dogs at the shelter
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby amazincc » March 1st, 2010, 4:46 pm

maberi wrote:Off topic but what about hiding them in a giant glob of peanut butter. That is what i use for dogs at the shelter

He chews everything... and since he seems to have something going on w/his throat I tried to avoid really sticky stuff. :neutral:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » March 1st, 2010, 6:41 pm

If you are still having trouble getting the Keflex capsules into Sepp I'd suggest opening the capsules and putting the powder in a small amount of applesauce and give immediately. The reason they say not to crush or chew is because the medication is actually quite bitter. My guys will just lick it right off the spoon and they are none the wiser. Although I’ve never given Keflex. Just take a nice sniff of the bottle… ICK!! Capsules are hard to get into dogs, especially Keflex as those are some big suckers!

The other option is trying a liquid version. You’d have to ask the Vet for a new prescription tomorrow. Some pharmacies actually carry flavoring agents for pets for the liquid medications. The flavors include peanut butter, chicken pot pie, bacon and steak. If you go to their website you can see if any pharmacies in your area carry them. http://flavorx.com/vet/ I'd call just to double check! Just some ideas to think about.

Hope Sepp Feels better!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » March 2nd, 2010, 4:05 am

Sepp woke up about an hour ago w/a serious case of "chipmunk face" and bloodshot eyes.
So, I'm sitting here watching him, feeling sick to my stomach, and waiting for the vet to open in six hours.
Also doing some god-awful swearing, just because.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » March 2nd, 2010, 4:51 am

:anyMinute: 9:30 (6:30 here) cannot get here soon enough!

I'm thinking of you both, especially you, Christine, because I know how much you're worrying.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby HappyChick » March 2nd, 2010, 8:49 am

Sending good thoughts to you, Christine and Sepp.

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » March 2nd, 2010, 8:56 am

oh christine.........

Please please update us when you can!!

:sad2: :sad2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby katiek0417 » March 2nd, 2010, 9:05 am

Good thoughts from here, Christine....

Sounds like an allergic reaction, almost....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Pit♥bull » March 2nd, 2010, 9:05 am

maberi wrote:Off topic but what about hiding them in a giant glob of peanut butter. That is what i use for dogs at the shelter
Lots of dogs (and humans) have peanut allergy. We use to give Trouble all meds with peanut butter until we discovered (after a year) it was causing more issues. We now use cream cheese. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 2nd, 2010, 9:22 am

Poor Sepp! I know I don't need to say this, but keep us updated!

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » March 2nd, 2010, 9:23 am

My favorite method ever, take a breakfast sausage and cut it in half. Heat just enough so it isn't frozen. Shove said capsule inside. Wa la.

It's the only way Four can take medicine.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » March 2nd, 2010, 9:24 am

And I just read the post about Sepp!!! Lots of good thoughts for my Sepp boy!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jodi » March 2nd, 2010, 9:51 am

Oh, I hope he's OK :hug3:
Jodi
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » March 2nd, 2010, 11:47 am

I had to leave him at the vet. He'll be sedated and have x-rays done, get his throat checked out thoroughly, have more blood work done... the works, again. They're gonna call me when he's done.
Vet was a little stumped by the swollen nodes because his temp was normal. :neutral:

On a happier note... it felt really strange not to have to wrestle with, and sit on, a muzzled dog who is trying to eat everyone in sight.
I had almost forgotten what it's like to have an overly happy guy, who managed to knock the vet on her butt twice because she wouldn't pet him fast enough. :giggle:

Now I wait... I'm not good at that. :rolleyes2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 2nd, 2010, 11:51 am

Poor guy. Hopefully they find that it's nothing serious. Keeping my fingers crossed!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Next

Return to Canine Cancer