Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Marinepits » November 16th, 2009, 8:43 am

I'm sorry. The "rough spots" are so difficult to ride out -- the whole cancer process is like a rollercoaster with the emotional ups and downs. :nono: Hopefully, it is just a reaction to the carboplatin and she'll feel a bit better as it works its way through (and out of) her system.

You and Sofie are in our thoughts. :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 16th, 2009, 9:05 am

I'm sending lots and lots of good, non-itchy thoughts to you guys. Give the pretty girl a gentle scritch from me. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyChick » November 16th, 2009, 9:14 am

Suzanne - you are doing a wonderful job with Sofie. I'm sure you will figure this thing out and get Sofie over this hurdle. It would be so much easier if they could just tell us how they feel.

Good thoughts to you and Sofie. :hug3:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby LMM » November 16th, 2009, 11:57 am

Sending lots of good thoughts your way!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jenn » November 16th, 2009, 3:26 pm

:goodthoughts:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby madremissy » November 16th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Plenty of good thoughts and prayers being sent to you and Sophie. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Suzi » November 17th, 2009, 2:24 pm

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:

We are thinking of you and Sophie today,,,,, :)

Hope all is well.....
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby plebayo » November 18th, 2009, 10:16 pm

I brought sofie to work today. I gave her another bath and scrubbed all of the scabs off of her skin and she appears to be healing, yay antibiotics!

My vet thinks that her right eye does go in a little less than her left eye and her pressures were 15 in the left eye and 20 in the right eye. We will recheck this Tuesday when she has her next chemo. It's not too bad, I think normal pressures are between 10-20, it is worrysome that the right side is more than the left. I hope the Doxorubricin knocks the tumor back a little and the sneezing stops.

She weighs 26# and is holding that, I'll probably bump up her food a little, she looks good but I'd like to see her at 27-28#.

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby HappyChick » November 18th, 2009, 10:37 pm

I'm glad to read that Sofie is still feeling good! Bumping up her weight a bit won't hurt a thing and will actually be good to her. So she likes and is doing well with her new diet?

I hope the Doxo does the trick.

You and Sofie are in my thoughts. :hug3:

Love you guys,
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 18th, 2009, 11:04 pm

So she likes and is doing well with her new diet?

I think 'like' is too gentle of a word. She LOVES her food! She moves the bowl across the floor trying to lick up every last bit!!!!!! She also really likes the eggs, I give her an egg every couple of days with some mackerel - which she enjoys also!
-----

So now I'm just going to drop some verbal vomit to explain why I feel the way I do about this whole cancer thing.

Since Vinny's passing it really made me sit back because I have had the opportunity to have 13 years with Sofie. I would say that is an average lifetime + for a lot of dogs. I feel like I'm coming off as being selfish and trying to hold on. I was sitting at lunch today wondering why I'm even doing all of this. I have had 13 years with my dog, which should be more than enough. Like when I lost my cat, he was only 2 years old! It was so unfair because he was so young. And now I'm clinging to a 13 year old dog.

I am accepting of the fact that I have had a good long go with Sofie and that I am lucky. When Sofie passes away I will not feel bad that we did not have enough time together because as of right now we have had 13 great years. When it is Sofie's turn I know regardless of what I accept, I am going to bawl my eyes out. I will cry because I am losing a friend.

I am not trying to cure my dog. What upsets me about her having cancer is that there is NOTHING wrong with her. Other than some hearing loss and a little loss of eye sight there is nothing wrong with this dog. She eats, she runs around, she wrestles, her back and back legs work just fine. If she was arthritic and blind it would make the decision of what to do so much easier. Of course, this is entirely selfish because I took on the responsibility of having a dog, and sometimes you have to make decisions you don't want to.

I guess what I am saying is that I know this won't fix my dog and I know I will have to let go eventually. I really don't want to come off as someone who is holding on too much. I feel like a lot of people I know would not treat a 13 year old dog for cancer and they think I'm nuts. But I think it's only fair to give it a shot, I would do it for my other dogs, why not for her?

I'm sorry for the spew, I've just been thinking a lot and it's hard to not get lost sometimes and wonder what I'm doing and why :/
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby HappyChick » November 18th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Hey Girl!!! Don't you for one minute question what you are doing for Sofie!! Vinny's situation is a whole different thing. Yes, he left way too soon, no one doubts that. But you need to understand that her life is worth fighting for as long as she has not had too much suffering and pain. Guess what? She is NOTsuffering or in pain, she is great and healthy. Who cares what her age is? If you can afford to do so and you feel what you are doing is helping Sofie, then DO IT!

I too look at the age of the dog to some extent when deciding what to do medically. In an older dog I'd look at if the dog is already having pain issues or the treatment will be too tough on an old body. Sofie is doing well with her treatment and you can always stop treatment if it seems to be hurting her too much.

This whole cancer thing truly is a journey, BUT a journey is taken one step at a time. With each step you can decide in which direction the next step will fall. Cancer cannot be planned out so calm down, take a deep breath, and keep on steppin'!

Peace of mind and blessings to you and our precious Sofie.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » November 19th, 2009, 12:44 am

I too look at the age of the dog to some extent when deciding what to do medically. In an older dog I'd look at if the dog is already having pain issues or the treatment will be too tough on an old body. Sofie is doing well with her treatment and you can always stop treatment if it seems to be hurting her too much.

I appreciate your input. You pretty much summed up what I am feeling. I definitely judge things by age/quality of life factor. I guess that is what makes it hard is that Sofie does not act like an old woman other than the fact she can't hear. [Or... she pretends she can't :nono: ]

I know Vinny's situation is different but it just humbled me a lot. I know I don't know you personally but I thought [and still think] about you guys all the time [not in a weird way! :neener: ] and it's just one of those things that really hit me and made me think a lot.

This whole cancer thing truly is a journey, BUT a journey is taken one step at a time. With each step you can decide in which direction the next step will fall. Cancer cannot be planned out so calm down, take a deep breath, and keep on steppin'!

I will keep this in mind when I start thinking too much. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TinaMartin » November 19th, 2009, 9:48 am

Dont beat yourself up over her age. She is worth it. While there may be no chance of a cure the time you are able to spend with her now will be remembered later. You will have more memories to enjoy. Its not age it is quality of life. I feel you are thinking about this from both your mind and heart. Only you know what is right for you and your dog. :hug3:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » November 19th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I, too, vote for quality of life without allowing age to be a factor. The cancer journey takes a big bite out of humans emotionally, but the dog's = not so much. They may know they feel bad, but they don't know they have cancer and what the consequences of that disease are.

Each person has to make cancer decisions based on their circumstance. It may be age, it may be finances, it may be time, or it may be something else entirely. Of course, I am also a supporter of 'no wrong decision.' If it is a decision based on what is best for you and your pet, your life situation, and quality of life for your pet, it is a good decision for you.

At 13, I may not do any heroic measures to keep Trouble alive, but then again, I can't say for sure because she isn't 13.

The moto's I live by - one day at a time & quality of life. You can't go wrong!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » November 19th, 2009, 11:29 pm

At 13, I may not do any heroic measures to keep Trouble alive, but then again, I can't say for sure because she isn't 13.

Thank you for your reply :) As usual, good advice that is much appreciated. I just need to remember to hold my horses - so to speak, and not get to worried in something I can't control or see.

I just hate the idea of not really knowing, but then I think it's almost better not to know how things are going to pan out. That might be just as painful as not knowing.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Brownies Mom » November 24th, 2009, 12:00 am

Everyone else summed up what I was thinking, but I did want to add two things.

plebayo wrote:I am not trying to cure my dog. What upsets me about her having cancer is that there is NOTHING wrong with her.
Yep, I get it. Even though Brownie had cancer, he was never sick (until a few days before he passed). By that, I mean he always felt good, had energy, wanted to interact and play, had no pain or wasting or discomfort from the cancer. So I know what you mean about, and I am so grateful it got to be this way. Enjoy it while you've got it. :dance:

plebayo wrote:If she was arthritic and blind it would make the decision of what to do so much easier.

Not necessarily. Although Brownie was healthy and happy, he began to get severe arthritis the last few months of his life. He began to limp, and he would walk places, but lay down as soon as he got there. He did not get up until he had to, and never stood longer than necessary. I began to panic because I was prepared to help him pass when the cancer took over, but I didn't think I could look him in the eye and do it if he went lame, but still felt happy and had no pain (provided he wasn't standing). I was so scared that was going to be the case. I'm not sure I could have done it.

Don't feel guilty for loving your dog and wanting every last minute you can have with her. We all want the same for ourselves, and for you. I'm glad you are getting some quality time together. :clap:
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » November 24th, 2009, 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply Brownie's Mom :)

I understand what you are saying and appreciate the reply, all of your replies help get me back in focus :)

Just FYI Sofie is supposed to get chemo this afternoon, let's hope the doxo knocks the tumor back. She's sneezing, sounds congested, and coughing a little bit. This isn't to make it sound like she's ready to go, she feels fine otherwise, she's just starting to get back to where she was before we found out what was wrong.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » November 24th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Fingers crossed for Miss Sofie... make sure you post an update after... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Patch O' Pits » November 24th, 2009, 8:19 pm

hugapitbull wrote:I, too, vote for quality of life without allowing age to be a factor. The cancer journey takes a big bite out of humans emotionally, but the dog's = not so much. They may know they feel bad, but they don't know they have cancer and what the consequences of that disease are.

Each person has to make cancer decisions based on their circumstance. It may be age, it may be finances, it may be time, or it may be something else entirely. Of course, I am also a supporter of 'no wrong decision.' If it is a decision based on what is best for you and your pet, your life situation, and quality of life for your pet, it is a good decision for you.

That is great advice

More hugs and prayers!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby plebayo » November 24th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Sofie had the doxorubricin today. We gave her some ace/atropine to mellow her out a little and she was much better for the catheter placement - the placement was really hard, her vessels were weird today.

I talked to my vet/boss about her symptoms and that we're basically back to square one how she was before diagnoses. The thing is if June [when she had MRSA] is the technical diagnoses date, because the tumor was there, 6 months from June is December. If we count the MRI diagnoses from November 5th we have until May. He agreed she looks good and seems to be doing well even though her symptoms are back. She has a very healthy appetite and seems to be much more personable than she was before. I'm not sure if it's because I take her places more now, or simply that she's actually feeling better :|

In any case I hope the doxo knocks the tumor back a bit and makes her more comfortable and stops the sneezing.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer