Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby iluvk9 » June 6th, 2010, 9:08 am

plebayo wrote: the kitten I just got passed away

I am sorry for your loss. :(

She's been eating pretty well for me and seems to be pretty happy.

To me, that is what is what's important. :dance:

She's having a harder time seeing in the dark and she pretty much can't hear anything.

ME TOO!!! I am always extra cautious driving at night and ask people to repeat things. :neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » July 31st, 2010, 11:47 am

Just thought I'd put in a short update. Sofie is still doing well, in a month it will have been a year since her diagnoses. I talked to our vet AGAIN, just to double check and he still says 6mos was a good estimate for a dog not on chemo. The chemo set back the tumor enough that it bought us a year. If anyone ever asked me if chemo is worth it I would say yes. Even for an old lady she handled it well and it bought us so much time. I will never be "ready" to say goodbye, but I am content knowing we did what we could and that we were able to buy her an entire year.

However, the old woman doesn't show any signs of stopping it would be great for her to see another christmas :)

Right now she is living with my parents because I moved into a house with a couple of roommates and I did not think she would make the move well. My cat is also staying at my parents for the time being so she has him to be her buddy but also my mom is home most of the time so she's never alone. They are taking good care of her, I supply the food - she's totally spoiled rotten on her homemade diet - sometimes she gets canned too! My mom was concerned about her sneezing so hard so we have her back on piroxicam and it seems to be helping. I see her a couple of times a week, I may eventually try to bring her to the house I live at. It's always sad when I leave because she wants to come too, I feel like I'm abandoning her but I don't want her to have an anxiety relapse either. We'll see. So far she's doing really well, I'm so happy :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » July 31st, 2010, 11:54 am

iluvk9 wrote:ME TOO!!! I am always extra cautious driving at night and ask people to repeat things. :neener:
HuH...
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 31st, 2010, 1:43 pm

Good update, Suzanne :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » July 31st, 2010, 2:13 pm

YAY!!!! :D :clap: :woowoo:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » July 31st, 2010, 2:16 pm

Great update! Glad to hear she is feeling well. :)
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 31st, 2010, 10:08 pm

:clap:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » August 1st, 2010, 5:59 am

And August will be another great month for her because she is OUR PBT CALENDAR GIRL this month!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » August 1st, 2010, 7:28 am

iluvk9 wrote:And August will be another great month for her because she is OUR PBT CALENDAR GIRL this month!

Only the cutest month ever :p Maybe I'm just biased tho :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby madremissy » August 1st, 2010, 8:53 am

This is good news.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyChick » August 1st, 2010, 10:41 am

Woot! for a good update!!

It really sounds like leaving her at your parents is the best thing for her right now.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » August 1st, 2010, 10:44 pm

HappyChick wrote:Woot! for a good update!!

It really sounds like leaving her at your parents is the best thing for her right now.

That's kind of how I'm feeling, she has the worst separation anxiety ever and she is doing alright at my parents right now so I don't want to rock the boat. Plus stress is no good for her immune system and I don't want to help the cancer out by stressing her out.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby CinderDee » August 2nd, 2010, 4:34 am

This is a wonderful update! I'm so happy for you both. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby plebayo » August 3rd, 2010, 10:15 pm

I may have spoken too soon.

The past few days Sofie has been pretty finicky about her food. She didn't want to eat her homemade, she didn't want to eat kibble. I decided to take her to work today just to have one of the drs feel her guts. Her guts felt fine but she had a ton of grass in her poop. She ate baby food, canned i/d, and some a/d that offered her. I took a couple of cans of a/d home and mixed it with her homemade food and she wouldn't touch it. I told my mom to feed her just some a/d in the morning.

She has also lost a pound since april which isn't a huge amount but huge for her because she's already on the skinnier side of things. Her right nostril is runny [side with the tumor] and if you mess with her nose she sneezes a lot.

Pretty much when I pay my rent Thursday I'm going to talk to my roomy and pretty much tell him Sofie isn't getting the care she needs at my parents and I need her here so i can monitor her food intake and make sure she's getting her meds. My parents mean well but I just don't think they're watching her closely enough. Since I'm not there I can only go by what they tell me and obviously she's been having enough trouble she's lost a pound of weight.

She seemed for the most part perky today... a little lost though. I'm not sure how much is the cancer and how much is just normal old lady behavior. When I get paid I'm going to look for a better quality/higher protein canned food that's hopefully low in carb fillers. I may also try making some different food for her. I wonder if some of it is that it isn't smelly enough. She was willing to eat the smelly pill pockets at work but not willing to eat the treats she usually would eat at work that aren't smelly. I'm sure her nose doesn't work nearly as well as it used to.

If the transition to this house is a problem then I'll just have to have a good sit down with my parents. I think she might transition okay though - she was fine coming to work with me today and didn't get all weird so I guess it's worth a shot. I didn't want to stress her body out but obviously being at my parents isn't helping things as much as I thought either. Ugh.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 4th, 2010, 7:25 am

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyChick » August 4th, 2010, 10:13 am

Sending Good Thoughts too.

You may want to try some Bach's Rescue Remedy for her anxiety. Directions are on the bottle. It's a homeopathic remedy for calming dogs and people in stressful situations. I can vouch that is works on people!

Here is a link: http://www.bachflower.com/

I use the drops and buy it at the local natural health store.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » August 4th, 2010, 1:04 pm

HappyChick wrote:Sending Good Thoughts too.

You may want to try some Bach's Rescue Remedy for her anxiety. Directions are on the bottle. It's a homeopathic remedy for calming dogs and people in stressful situations. I can vouch that is works on people!

Here is a link: http://www.bachflower.com/

I use the drops and buy it at the local natural health store.

Thanks for the link! Anything to help make her transition better is worth a try.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » August 5th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Well I stretched the truth a tiny bit. I told my roomy that Sofie might be in the final stages of her cancer and I wanted to be able to watch her more closely. I figure karma cannot bite me in the butt too bad for this white lie because if she lives a loooong time then "it's a miracle!" if she doesn't make it past a few months living there then I was telling the truth.

I've ordered the Bach's Rescue Remedy, I'm house sitting for another week and a half and then I will take her home with me. Tonight she could smell the pizza I was eating... so I shared a slice with her and lo-and-behold she was hungry enough to want to eat her homemade food!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » August 5th, 2010, 10:54 pm

I'm all for "stretching the truth a bit" when it comes to making decisions based on what's the most compassionte and kindest thing to do in a terminal case... I'm with you 110%. I bet Sofie is goind to LOVE living w/you again. :D :D :D

Pizza... YAY for a good day, and being able to smell THAT! lol

Hang in there, both of you. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » August 6th, 2010, 5:52 am

Hey....you have all of our permission to LIE YOUR ASS OFF, if it helps Sophie! :)

Sorry she is having a few bad moments again. I know how frustrating it gets, and how you start thinking of all the new variables that might have added to the change.

Hang in there, Suzy-Q! :groupHug:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer