We got very bad news about Vincenzo

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby TinaMartin » October 23rd, 2009, 8:31 am

Take a deep breath. He is in the best possible hands. :groupHug:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby madremissy » October 23rd, 2009, 8:51 am

Angie, Everyone here at my house is sending many good thoughts and plenty of prayers for Vinnie.
Come on Vinnie, you can do this. Keep fighting!!!!!!
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Hundilein » October 23rd, 2009, 9:11 am

Good thoughts on their way!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 23rd, 2009, 9:32 am

Looking forward to a GREAT update! :clap:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby HappyChick » October 23rd, 2009, 10:41 am

Thank you so much, everyone.

Dr. Blakeley just called. Not much has changed. The nystagmus (eyes jerking) is better today, but not completely gone. They tried to get Vin to go outside, but he's too doped up from the valium. At least he is resting comfortably. I asked about the potassium and she doesn't feel it was low enough to cause Vin to be so sick. Then again, we talked about potassium rich foods to add to his diet. I am definitely not a vet or oncologist, but I can't believe that the tumor would be gone after 4 chemo treatments yet pop up in his brain now. IDK.

Dee - how did it happen with Kato when it went to his brain?

Dr. B will check his electrolytes again this afternoon. She is also exploring whether to go ahead with the next chemo just in case and see if that helps. She said he ate a couple of cookies and drank some water and kept them down so far. She also asked me to bring him some of his food at lunchtime and visit with him for awhile to see if he perks up.

I'll update again after I visit Vinny.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 23rd, 2009, 10:50 am

(((big hugs)))
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » October 23rd, 2009, 10:52 am

I am so sorry you and Vin are going through this. My heart is with you and our fingers and paws are crossed for you. You have to trust in the vet care at this point, and I am sure it is the very best and they will do everything possible to make him better.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » October 23rd, 2009, 11:51 am

Dee - how did it happen with Kato when it went to his brain?

The first thing I noticed but didn't think too much about was the noise his nails were making when we walked on concrete outside. It sounded like he might be dragging his foot a little bit but I couldn't see anything different about him.
Then one night we were on the bed watching tv and he stood up to do something and fell. He's not too coordinated so I just kept an eye on him, but it got worse. He acted like he was drunk and his head was bobbing and he was quivering. His legs were doing weird things too. They just weren't working right...like spasmodic jerks, I guess. I think that's about it although I could be forgetting something.

Sending much love to you & Vinny. :goodthoughts:

I'm around if you need me. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Pit♥bull » October 23rd, 2009, 12:36 pm

MORE MORE and MORE

:goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » October 23rd, 2009, 2:21 pm

Any "new" news??? :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » October 23rd, 2009, 2:43 pm

amazincc wrote:Any "new" news??? :|

Yep. I took Vinny his lunch, which he gobbled down and has kept down so far. He seemed better today than he was last night. He sat pretty steadily next to me most of the visit, which is more than he could do last night. He is still really wobbly on his feet (could be from the valium). His eyes aren't nearly as jerky today. He kept trying to see what was going on with the other dogs in the room (he's nosy like that). :rolleyes2:

Dr. Blakeley just called me. We've decided to administer the chemo, so if the cancer cells have spread to his brain it will hopefully kill those bastards. We also decided Vinny will come home tonight. He will have valium pills and syringe of liquid valium to squirt up his butt if he has a seizure. Dr. B feels comfortable with Vinny coming home as long as I can handle it. It makes me a little nervous, but he will have someone with him around the clock at home, whereas he would be alone during the night if he stays there. I WILL handle it for Vinny's sake.

They checked his electrolytes and everything is back to normal now.

I'll update again if anything changes.

Thanks again, EVERYONE!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » October 23rd, 2009, 2:54 pm

:) Yea for good updates, GO VINNY :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 23rd, 2009, 2:57 pm

Fantastic update!!!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 23rd, 2009, 3:30 pm

Yay for chemo and getting to come home!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby CinderDee » October 23rd, 2009, 3:48 pm

That's very good news!!! WTG Vinny! :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby plebayo » October 23rd, 2009, 9:52 pm

Dr. Blakeley just called me. We've decided to administer the chemo, so if the cancer cells have spread to his brain it will hopefully kill those bastards. We also decided Vinny will come home tonight. He will have valium pills and syringe of liquid valium to squirt up his butt if he has a seizure. Dr. B feels comfortable with Vinny coming home as long as I can handle it. It makes me a little nervous, but he will have someone with him around the clock at home, whereas he would be alone during the night if he stays there. I WILL handle it for Vinny's sake.

Not that he doesn't feel comfortable there, I'm sure his vet is like his second home with all of the awesome people there, but I do think animals when they feel like poop do better staying at home over night. Especially having to be on chemo and still having some nystagmus left I think he would heal better spending some time at home being squished and loved on by mom haha.

Me and my crew are sending good thoughts your way!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Jenn » October 23rd, 2009, 10:01 pm

:goodthoughts:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hugapitbull » October 24th, 2009, 7:49 am

Yea for good updates. Keep fighting Vinny, we're right behind you!

Angie, you will be strong and do an awesome job of caring for him. I have no doubt you can do this. It isn't easy when they aren't well, but being with mom is better than being alone. That gentle hand on them is medicine all by its self. You go girl!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » October 24th, 2009, 10:08 am

The Vin-boy ROCKS!! :rock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » October 24th, 2009, 11:03 am

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words. You all renew my strength when I need it the most.

It is true that All Pets is like a home away from home for Vin. One of the girls there, Jody, told me she spent a lot of time with Vinny yesterday in his "room". She said he gave her lots of kisses. He's been kissing me a lot too. I guess that is his way of thanking us for taking care of him.

I can tell Vinny is glad to be home. He seems much more relaxed than yesterday, of course that could be from the valium :) He is sleeping a lot which is good because he is still extremely wobbly. He has not been able to get up on his own without falling over until a little bit ago when he decided he needed to come into the study and see what I was doing. I was sitting here typing, heard some noise, turned and there he was up on all fours, attempting to walk in here. Of course I jumped up and helped him. We walked in here where he was more steady on the carpet (this is the only room in the house with carpet now). He checked everything out, then we headed back to his bed in the living room.

I slept on the couch last night so I could be close to him and so he would know where I was. I don't want him to attempt to go up the stairs. That would be a disaster at this point. I'm glad I slept there because he tried to get up a few times during the night, but fell back down. I talked to him when that happened, soothed him, and got him comfortable again.

He cannot go out to potty by himself at all. We worked out a system where Joe gets Vinny's front end and guides him with the leash, and I have a blanket sling for his back end and we walk/carry him out. I'll bet people who see us out there wonder what the heck we are doing to our dog!

Vinny has eaten some, not as much as usual, but I suspect the chemo will have some side effects this time since he feels poopy anyway. He drank some water this morning. He has not vomited at all and I do not see the nystagmus so far today.

Anyway, I can't help but be pretty POed that this has happened to Vinny. He has done so amazingly well with the cancer, the chemo, and everything that has changed for him. Now he has this thing going on. I guess our journey must have been a little too easy for us, now we are paying our dues.

I've got to tell you how Reno has been with Vinny. Of course Reno, Guido, and Jade had to check out Vinny when we got him back home. Everybody sniffing him from head to tail. At one point in the evening, Reno who is always by Vinny's side anyway, laid down next to Vinny on Vinny's bed. Reno was very gentle and seemed as though he was watching over Vinny.

Well, I'm going to go for now and sit with Vin. I'll update again later.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer