We got very bad news about Vincenzo

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 4th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I'm so glad things went well! Hopefully you may be a little bit more reassured now each time he goes back. Give him some lovin's from me. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » August 4th, 2009, 10:47 pm

All the sudden I am scared to death for Vinny to go through this Chemo thing. I am shaking like a leaf and my heart is pounding. I should have never looked up "tissue necrosis". I just hope I can be strong for him. Chemo appointment is set for 5 p.m. today. I think I'm going to throw up.

I assure you, the veterinarian placing the catheter makes SURE it is in before administering chemo. I'm glad to hear he did well, I hope this treatment gives him lots more time with you!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » August 4th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Lots and Lot of PBT good thoughts for his chemo.

Just an FYI, the clinics are accustomed to dealing with us paranoid, worried owners who are facing chemo for the first time. I called several times while Trouble was in for the first couple of treatments. Not because I didn't trust them, just because I needed the reassurance that all was ok.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » August 5th, 2009, 1:51 am

I'm so glad it went well!!! I was really scared when Kato got the Adria too but he did fine. Kate had worse side effects from the other chemo drugs than the Adria.

Sending lots of feel good hugs! :groupHug:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » August 5th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Thank you all for the reassuring words, they definitely help me!

Vinny has not had any diarrhea or vomiting today. Yay! However, he is not eating much today either. He ate a little bit of cooked chicken at noon, but not much. I put a variety of foods in front of him since I've been home from work, but he's not interested so I suppose he is a little nauseous. About 30 minutes ago I gave him a Cerenia and I'll try again to feed him some in a bit. If he still isn't interested, then we will try again tomorrow. He does seem a little more tired today, but I suppose that is to be expected. I'm tired too today. Well I guess that's it for now unless something else develops.

Thanks everybody!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » August 5th, 2009, 8:23 pm

HappyChick wrote:All the sudden I am scared to death for Vinny to go through this Chemo thing. I am shaking like a leaf and my heart is pounding. I should have never looked up "tissue necrosis". I just hope I can be strong for him. Chemo appointment is set for 5 p.m. today. I think I'm going to throw up.

Well, believe me... if they could administer it to a muzzled and "restrained" Mick w/out him losing a leg... Vinny will do great! lol :wink:

Poor appetite/fatique is not unusual for a day or two after chemo, especially at the beginning. Those are some powerful "meds" and they take a lot out of the patients.

Butt scratches to him. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » August 5th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Stay well Vinnie!!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby HappyChick » August 5th, 2009, 9:19 pm

amazincc wrote: Well, believe me... if they could administer it to a muzzled and "restrained" Mick w/out him losing a leg... Vinny will do great! lol :wink:

I wish I had thought about Mick when I was freaking out yesterday! You are absolutely right! I'll bet that was quite a sight watching Mick be "restrained"!

amazincc wrote: Poor appetite/fatique is not unusual for a day or two after chemo, especially at the beginning. Those are some powerful "meds" and they take a lot out of the patients.

That's good to know. I'll keep it in mind... I'm very happy he isn't vomiting.

I took Vinny for a little walk a bit ago and he sure hasn't lost his strength! I've got a hell of a leash burn on one of my fingers from him trying to get to the neighbor walking his dogs! I think I've underestimated my Vinny!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » August 5th, 2009, 10:29 pm

HappyChick wrote:I took Vinny for a little walk a bit ago and he sure hasn't lost his strength! I've got a hell of a leash burn on one of my fingers from him trying to get to the neighbor walking his dogs! I think I've underestimated my Vinny!

Don't forget, Vinny doesn't know what cancer is, so he doesn't know he is sick. He knows he doesn't feel so well sometimes, but he has no way to relate it to long term. He keeps doing what dogs do as long as he's feeling ok.

Trouble's nausea from chemo was never immediate, it was 6 - 9 hours after administration. I doubt seriously she ever related feeling ill to the treatment.

You guys are going to come though this just fine.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » August 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm

I took Vinny for a little walk a bit ago and he sure hasn't lost his strength! I've got a hell of a leash burn on one of my fingers from him trying to get to the neighbor walking his dogs! I think I've underestimated my Vinny!

hahaha good for him! I'm glad he seems to be doing well... the cerenia is amazing for anti vomiting! We actually had a dog who was given an injection one day, came in the next day because she ate something she shouldn't have and no matter what we gave her we could not induce vomiting! Kind of bad, but good in the sense that there is an anti vomiting med out there specifically for dogs. Many good vibes coming your way, i hope he continues to do well :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby HappyChick » August 12th, 2009, 10:51 am

Hi Everyone,

I've got a big update on Vinny's treatment! Thanks to a wonderful friend who I refer to as Vinny's Angel, we are now able to proceed with a more aggressive course of Chemo treatment. He will be receiving 19 weeks of Chemo, once a week, with no breaks in between as long as his veins and blood work hold out. The drugs that he will receive in rotation are Doxorubicin, Vincristine, and Cyclophosphamide. He is still on the Pred, but we decreased the dosage a little starting today. Vinny received his second chemo injection yesterday. It was the Vincristine. SO FAR he is not showing any side affects from it. He ate a nice breakfast this morning and is acting pretty perky! I realize, though, that he may feel worse as the day goes on, but I'm being positive and hoping for the best! Two days after Vinny chemo last week, he started eating like a horse! He is always hungry! When Dr. B weighed him yesterday, Vinny had gained a little over 1 lb. in just one week. I know it doesn't seem like a big gain, but now that he is eating healthy I think it will take him longer to "fill out". I also suppose all those good nutrients are being used up to make him healthy again.

I want to once again thank each and everyone of you who are sending positive vibes, good thoughts, prayers, and advice. Vinny, my family, and I love you all!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 12th, 2009, 10:53 am

How fantastic!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » August 12th, 2009, 11:18 am

I'm glad to hear he's still doing so well! :clap:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » August 12th, 2009, 2:46 pm

That's fantastic!!!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby call2arms » August 12th, 2009, 11:16 pm

Crack the chemo whip on that cancer!

Woot!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Pit♥bull » August 13th, 2009, 8:44 am

Go Vinny Go :)

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » August 17th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Oh my gosh! I am so happy to hear that you are able to move forward with more aggressive treatment! Vinny is so lucky to have you, and his angel :D I'm glad to hear he's handling things well so far!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby madremissy » August 17th, 2009, 1:51 pm

How is Vinny doing? Updates?
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyChick » August 17th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Thanks for asking, Missy.

Vinny is doing fabulous! I really can't believe he acts even better than normal! I suppose that might be a combination of the prednisone, the new food, and all the extra love he is receiving these days. :D He is eating like a champ. He did not have any side affects from the chemo last week! Tomorrow will be the third chemo treatment, and I can't hardly wait to see how much weight he has gained and how his blood tests look. His rib bones are disappearing *good thing* and people are commenting that he doesn't seem so skinny. He doesn't act tired like before and he is playing really well. He and Reno are back to their wrestling ways too, although I'm watching them very closely because the vet said Vinny cannot afford to have any significant injuries while getting the chemo treatments. Not that Reno has ever given Vinny a "significant injury", but you know how we moms worry!

I'm not sure when Dr. Blakeley plans to do another xray to check on the mass, but I'll let you all know when she does do it.

Thanks!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » August 17th, 2009, 3:49 pm

What a great update. I am glad that he is eating well. What wondeful news.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer