Indiana Jones

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Indy has graduated to every-other-day bandage changes and his wound is healing quite well. I have to take Dr Blabs' word on that, LOL, because I can't bear to look at it right now. It's in the "ugly phase". :shock: :puke: It's weird because medical stuff doesn't really bother me, not even when it comes to my own dogs, but when Indy's concerned, it's different (or so I'm finding out). :neutral:

His poor footie is all pruney-looking because it's been bandaged for so long. :giggle: He's SO good for the bandage changes and doesn't fight it or flop around at all. He just lays there and lets Dr Blabs do what she needs to do. As soon as that bandage comes off he wants to lick that leg so bad, LOL. Instead, he licks the hands of whoever is holding him.

Indy is such a PITA when it comes to getting his meds -- he KNOWS there are pills in whatever food I'm trying to give him and he gets lockjaw. We've tried every thing. Cream cheese, pasta, meats, deli meats, you name it, he eats it and spits out the pills. Can't give him peanut butter because he already has an upset digestive system because of the meds. So, we're going to try baby food today and hopefully that will help. He gets the Metacam in a syringe, squirted into his mouth. I'd like to thank my husband for teaching Indy that the syringe is a toy and that's it's fun to snap at and chew on it while getting squirted with water. :rolleyes2: >( LMAO

Oh, and he HATES his bucket with a passion. I had to go out to do errands today and this was the first time that I've left him alone since the surgery. I had to put him in his crate with the bucket (cone) on his head so he wouldn't bother the bandage. He glared at me during the entire time I put the bucket on him and tied it to his collar and he glared at me while I was locking up the house. I came back 2 1/2 hours later to find him sitting in the EXACT same spot in his crate, glaring daggers at me. :shock: As soon as I opened the crate door, he bolted out and slammed into me, then started thrashing his head around. I took the bucket off him and he stalked/limped over to the sunspot and turned his back on me when he threw himself down. :giggle:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » February 24th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Have you tried the catch game? Throw him little balls of food so he catches them. Make the first half dozen or so just plain, then sneak a pill into the middle, then throw some more, etc. It usually works for me with Ruby and Connor.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 4:10 pm

He's refusing any food that comes directly from our hands and he can sniff out a pill ten miles away, so even if it's in his bowl he'll eat the food and spit out the pill. Plus, he can't catch.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LaylaMommy » February 24th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Have you tried a Bite-Free Collar? Layla HATED an E-Collar, but didn't mind this so much
http://www.healthypets.com/bitefreecol.html
Jenny - Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/jenniferm1702

A Dog is the only thing on this earth, that Loves You more than he Loves Himself...

Proud Mommy of Jake the Super Special Rottie, Layla the bouncing Pit Bull, and Bella the Wonder-Kid!
LaylaMommy
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Unfortunately, it's his front leg and he can still reach it with one of the "bite not" collars. :neutral:

I normally don't put the bucket on him at all because he won't pick at his bandage when I'm around -- he's REALLY good about not bothering it. :rock: Even overnight, he won't bother it. However, if I leave the house, he goes right for the bandage, LOL. :shake: :lol3:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TinaMartin » February 24th, 2009, 5:20 pm

He's just telling you he's feeling better. :angel2:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby BigDogBuford » February 24th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Can you get the other meds compounded into a liquid?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 5:48 pm

He's on Cipro and flagyl -- I'm not sure either can be compounded. I'll have to find out. :?

He's just generally being a butt about his meds, which he does every time he needs pills. Eventually I'll find something that will work and I'll just have to keep alligator wrestling him until I find that "something", LOL. :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » February 24th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Marinepits wrote:He's on Cipro and flagyl -- I'm not sure either can be compounded. I'll have to find out. :?

He's just generally being a butt about his meds, which he does every time he needs pills. Eventually I'll find something that will work and I'll just have to keep alligator wrestling him until I find that "something", LOL. :D

Yeah, luckily I've never had a dog like that. Mine are so competitive about food that I don't even have to put the pills *in* anything and they'll gobble it down. :crazy2:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Mac, Shorty, and Tucker, I could feed them rocks and they'd eat them just so the other dogs couldn't have them. :shake: Katy is a bit more fussy but will eat the pills in cream cheese or peanut butter and Indy is a giant butt. :lol3:

We tried giving all of them fish oils pills this morning. Mac always gets them and either swallows them whole or chomps once then swallows them. Tucker was like COOL! and swallowed his right down. Shorty sniffed and poked at it, snarled at Tucker when he sniffed in her direction, then chewed it like bubblegum until all the oil was gone and spit out the capsule which she allowed Tucker to eat. Katy was like SCREW YOU, LADY. She turned her back and went into the other room, LOL. I popped the capsule and put the oil in my hand and she licked that right up. I wasn't going to mess with Indy, but he seemed to think the oil in my hand smelled okay, so who knows? :|

Damn dogs. :shake:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » February 24th, 2009, 6:16 pm

My dogs will fight over fuzz on the floor. :rolleyes2:
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby madremissy » February 24th, 2009, 8:28 pm

I am glad to hear he is getting better.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » February 25th, 2009, 4:50 am

well, I guess you could always dissolve them in a little water and do a syringe squirt ambush :| but blech :puke:
What if you dissolved the meds in low sodium chicken soup broth and syringed them?

Oscar is the same way. At one point, he stopped taking treats from me at all because I gave them AFTER meds that he needed with a little food. I used to try them in wet food too, and again, he stopped taking that from me. I have to physically pill him - wich I have no trouble with, but the girls at work tell me he's very difficult to pill(you have to get the pills right to the back of his throat)! - and then offer him water in a syringe--he'll drink it willingly, I think he figured out he won't taste them if he drinks it.

Have you been getting the meds into him? Or is it just difficult?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » February 25th, 2009, 9:41 am

Malli wrote:Have you been getting the meds into him? Or is it just difficult?

Oh, yeah, he's been getting his meds whether he likes it or not. :rolleyes2: :x

We did have success yesterday and today (so far)! I take a fingerfull of baby food and put the pill in it, then shove my finger into the back of his throat -- pill goes right down! No foaming "rabid" dog, no thrashing his head about. :rock:

However, last night and today has become the Battle of the Bucket. He is SICK of his bandage and has taken to licking it incessantly. This is not good because the bandage HAS to stay dry. So, I was up in the middle of the night trying to get his bucket to stay on his head -- it took several tries, but I finally managed to rig up a harness tied around his midsection with some ribbon and into his collar (which is now ridiculously tight) and tied the bucket to the collar. Damn dog. I feel awful for him because I can't explain to him that he MUST leave the bandage alone, and he's miserable with the bucket on his head. :neutral:

Unfortunately, the bandage can't be wrapped with plastic to protect it because that causes condensation which makes the bandage wet anyway. So, he's going to be Bucket Head for the time being.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 25th, 2009, 9:57 am

Can you put a tube sock or something over his foot so he can lick that instead of the bandage?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » February 25th, 2009, 10:02 am

What about getting some gortex to wrap it? it's waterproof, but allows moisture to escape so the bandage won't get damp. from being wrapped.

You could also try one of those bite-not collars and attach the cone to that. Because of the considerably reduced mobility it may help keep the cone on. I don't think it's possible to back out of those collars either.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » February 25th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Just got back from another bandage change and we had a little setback -- some of the regrowing tissue has sloughed off. Dr Blabs said that is to be expected, but neither one of us can wait until his wound gets out of the "ugly" stage and starts looking healthier. His foot smells like ass from being wrapped up, too. :noWay:

Mac saw Indy with the bucket on his head today and Mac stopped dead in his tracks to just STARE at him. I think Mac thought aliens had landed! Mac lit up like a roman candle and starting BARKING like a madman! I had to drag him down the stairs and outside, LOL. Indy was mortified. :shake: LMAO
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » February 25th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Poor Indy!
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby blabsforbullies » February 25th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Marinepits wrote:Just got back from another bandage change and we had a little setback -- some of the regrowing tissue has sloughed off. Dr Blabs said that is to be expected, but neither one of us can wait until his wound gets out of the "ugly" stage and starts looking healthier. His foot smells like ass from being wrapped up, too. :noWay:

Mac saw Indy with the bucket on his head today and Mac stopped dead in his tracks to just STARE at him. I think Mac thought aliens had landed! Mac lit up like a roman candle and starting BARKING like a madman! I had to drag him down the stairs and outside, LOL. Indy was mortified. :shake: LMAO

It is ugly, but the other doctor and I were talking about it tonight, and we both expected it. I just wanted this to be quick and easy for my man, Indiana.... <sigh> :neutral:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Marinepits » February 26th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Indy's leg looks MUCH better today -- he seems to do better with daily bandage changes, so we're going back to that for a while.

The swelling is down and the wound is completely covered with new tissue. Some of the edges are still sloughing off, but less than yesterday. Now, we're just waiting for the skin to grow over the spot. It still looks UGLY, but a bit better, so YAY! :D

Looks like the stitches from the lump removal on his back and his elbow may come out on Saturday or the beginning of next week, so YAY! for that, too! :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer