We're losing Petey

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 5th, 2009, 8:04 pm

I'm so very sorry Noel. :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » January 5th, 2009, 8:24 pm

There are no words how sorry I am Noel. :(
Make his last days memorable,and take lots of pics with him and spoil him.
Give a BIG hug from me.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Leslie H » January 5th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I'm so sorry for Petey, you, and your family. I hope Gremlin is doing OK.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2009, 1:29 am

I am so sorry to read this, Noel... :sad2:

You and your family (two- and four-legged) are very much in my thoughts and prayers. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BritneyP » January 6th, 2009, 1:32 am

I am so sorry to hear this. :( I'm sure Petey knows he has lived a wonderful life with the best family a dog could ask for.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Tiger » January 6th, 2009, 1:33 am

I am so sorry that this is happening. :sad2: You and yours will be in my thoughts and my prayers.

~Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby demolitionic » January 6th, 2009, 3:16 am

I'm very sorry, Noel. Squish and I send our love and good thoughts.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby KJS » January 6th, 2009, 10:56 am

Im so very sorry to to read this post today...you have all our thoughts with you at this time and we will wish for strength for you....Much Bully Love....K.
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » January 6th, 2009, 11:31 am

Gator and I are sending Petey lots of tail wags and sloppy kisses. I am sorry you are losing him.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby AllAmericanPUP » January 6th, 2009, 1:58 pm

I'm sorry to read this :(
I cant imagine your sadness
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 6th, 2009, 7:15 pm

I'm so very sorry! BIG hugs :sad2:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Judy » January 9th, 2009, 8:38 pm

I'm sorry about Petey. :(
Due to a forum glitch, I am now 30 years old. :woowoo:
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 9th, 2009, 9:28 pm

How are you and your family handling all of this, Noel? And how is Petey feeling?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby jnreem » January 9th, 2009, 10:02 pm

I am so sorry! :(
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby blabsforbullies » January 17th, 2009, 8:14 pm

I somehow missed this thread, but I wanted to say that I am very sorry for all that you and your family (both human and furry) are going through. :cry: I know that pain all to well, and no one should ever have to feel it. I am thinking of you, and hoping that your remaining time together is as peaceful and loving as it can possibly be. :heartbeat:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby SisMorphine » January 17th, 2009, 8:15 pm

Noel how is my Petey boy??
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Hoyden » January 17th, 2009, 8:50 pm

I keep trying to write updates, but end up crying so I never finish them.

All he really does now is sleep. He used to bark at vehicles that don't live on our street, but he stopped doing that. He'll bark at the door bell still. He has an appointment at the vet on Monday for a check-up and to see if putting him on prednisone will do any good. He's not breathing very well and there are three large cysts on the back of his neck that are growing at a scary quick rate. They were the size of peanuts about three weeks ago, now they're almost the size of dimes.

We are struggling to get him to take the amoxocillian because it's nasty tasting. I tasted it and it's just foul. Bad enough to gag a maggot. We've tried hiding them in just about everything to get him to take them. Peanut butter, pill pockets, cheese, bologna, chicken breast chunks, prime rib chunks, hollowed out cheetos, gingerbread and a few other things I just can't remember right now. Nothing works, he still manages to spit out the pill. Even when I STICK the pill to the gingerbread, cheese or whatever with peanut butter.

I finally asked the vet to call an RX into Walmart for the children's fruit flavored chewable amoxocillian since they come in 400mg tablets, so we'll see how that goes. He loves skittles and fruit loops, so hopefully he'll just chomp them down like candy.

He's blind in both eyes, but only his left eye, the one with the spot has glaucoma though. He can see light and dark, but that's about it. He bumps into everything in the house, gets lost in the back yard and can't find the steps to get back up onto the deck. We've tried to get him to just go to the bathroom on the deck but he refuses to. We tried taking him out on a leash out the front door because there are only two steps, but he won't go there either. It HAS to be in the back yard, which means he has to go down all those damn stairs.

I made him a super comfy harness that we leave on him so we can guide him around. Birdie has been "herding" him in the back yard so he can find the potty spots and get back to the stairs. We guide him up and down the stairs and around the back yard now.

We've been struggling to get him to eat the last few days. Especially if we're feeding him chicken and rice. I have to hand feed him the chicken breast chunks so that he'll eat. He was eating ground beef and rice or ground turkey and rice, so we're going back to that to see if he'll eat that for us.

We've been spoiling him, cuddling with him, feeding him what ever he wants, giving him lots of attention and loving him. There are times when he feels better, he barks at the things he used to bark at, begs for cheetos or crawls in our laps, but unless the vet tells us that prednisone will make a significant difference in how comfortable he is, I don't think he will be with us much longer.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby blabsforbullies » January 17th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Is this lymphoma? If so, maybe the prednisone can help give you some more time? I am so sorry.... :sad2:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby SisMorphine » January 17th, 2009, 9:00 pm

For those who don't know Petey well, he is a sweetheart of a dog who LOVED Wally. This will forever be my favorite picture of the two of them:

Wally was always soaked after a weekend with Petey :P

Noel for the last few weeks with Wally I had to hand pill him his pred, and flagyl, and of course force feed him his sulcrafate slush.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Hoyden » January 17th, 2009, 9:27 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:Is this lymphoma? If so, maybe the prednisone can help give you some more time? I am so sorry.... :sad2:

She said it was lymphoma. His X-rays were ugly. VERY ugly.

There should be a lot of black in X-rays of dog lungs because of the air. His had white spots everywhere. Big spots, little spots, just too many spots, I lost count at 27. His spleen was very mis-shaped in the X-rays. It's actually visible when you look at him, I pointed it out to the vet when I brought him in.

He has some neurological ticks, as well as loss of sight in his right eye, which does NOT have glaucoma in it. She said that it was likely there was a tumor or cancer in his brain too. Petey's dad died from a tumor in his brain. His owners attributed it to Syd's habit of eating lead paint off the wood in their house in New Haven, but maybe it was genetic. Syd was 6 years old. (Syd was a crate breaker, they finally ended up getting a metal box crate for him.)

They did a bunch of blood work, but I don't remember what she told us.

What is so scary is that he had a full work up, blood work and X-rays back in July. He was limping and I wanted them to check his hips as well as his shoulder where he was hit by a car when he was about 18 months old. It was arthritis in both spots. NONE of this was there then.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer