Trouble's Diagnosis

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby airwalk » September 26th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Good job you guys...10 months is amazing! We used Deramaxx for Cinder's arthritis when the rymadol starting showing some of its side effects. The Deramaxx worked very well.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » September 26th, 2009, 8:22 pm

airwalk wrote:Good job you guys...10 months is amazing! We used Deramaxx for Cinder's arthritis when the rymadol starting showing some of its side effects. The Deramaxx worked very well.

Oooh, I'll have to ask about that when we go in for the followup bloodwork. I already know tramadol is not going to be quite enough. I had her on it prior to starting the remadyl, and that is when we thought the decline was beginning. :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » September 26th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Deramaxx worked well for Katy for quite some time. Once it started to lose its effectiveness, we went to Metacam. That's worked like a charm for a few years now and she's had no liver or kidney issues.

If the tramadol isn't strong enough, ask about gabapentin. That has worked *really* well for Katy, in addition to the Metacam and glucosamine supplements.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » September 26th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Marinepits wrote:Deramaxx worked well for Katy for quite some time. Once it started to lose its effectiveness, we went to Metacam. That's worked like a charm for a few years now and she's had no liver or kidney issues.

If the tramadol isn't strong enough, ask about gabapentin. That has worked *really* well for Katy, in addition to the Metacam and glucosamine supplements.

Ok, so you have me off on a research project. Thanks so much for sharing...
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby BullyLady » September 26th, 2009, 10:23 pm

Marinepits wrote:Deramaxx worked well for Katy for quite some time. Once it started to lose its effectiveness, we went to Metacam. That's worked like a charm for a few years now and she's had no liver or kidney issues.

I second that! We used Deramaxx for our Sophie (severe HD) and then Deramaxx with tramadol in the colder months. Her liver enzymes never once elevated but she got really excellent pain relief with it, and actually Deramaxx ended up being about 1/3 cheaper than Rimadyl. Bonus!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby CinderDee » September 27th, 2009, 8:57 am

hugapitbull wrote:

Ok, so you have me off on a research project. Thanks so much for sharing...

I take gabapentin & tramadol for peripheral neuropathy so if I can be of any help just let me know.

Give Trouble lots of hugs from Kato & me. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » October 21st, 2009, 9:26 am

Trouble had her follow-up blood check for the liver enzymes while they were boarded Monday. Had a long chat with Dr F as we were one the way home yesterday.

Good news - the enzymes are down, just a couple of points out of normal range, indication they Remadyl was the cause.

Bad news - we cannot use NSAIDS as long term maintenance treatment

He suggested I consider the Science Diet j/d formula which is suppose to be equal to Remadyl in terms of effects on arthritis. I of course started with the ingredients, this diet's main ingredient is corn, so any of you fighting allergies, don't even consider it.

I'm back to research, starting with this thread where we discussed the glucosamine made without shellfish. I would really prefer not to keep her on Tramadol long term if I can find a way around it.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby HappyChick » October 21st, 2009, 9:39 am

Congrats to Trouble on the good news! Sorry about the bad news :(

I'm sure you are very capable of doing the research, but if there is anything I can do, I'd be happy to do so. Kaiser was on Glucosamine and Chondroitin for over 7 years for his DDD and it worked well for him until the last year.

Good luck!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » October 21st, 2009, 10:21 am

HappyChick wrote: Kaiser was on Glucosamine and Chondroitin for over 7 years for his DDD and it worked well for him until the last year.

I'm hoping to find a glucosamine & chondroitin suppliment she can tolerate that will ward of the need for meds for as long as possible. Your post gives me hope. Keep your fingers crossed!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Jenn » October 21st, 2009, 3:27 pm

:hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby HappyChick » October 22nd, 2009, 9:56 am

Shanna - My niece told me about this website: http://www.mercola.com and I found an article there about animal joint problems and arthritis. I don't know how advanced Trouble's arthritis is or if you've already tried these things, but I thought you might be interested.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/healt ... ritis.aspx

I have four recommendations for treating and preventing your dog or cat from premature joint degeneration:

1.Chiropractic: If you have a pet that sustains an injury of any type, consider getting chiropractic care. Dog and cat chiropractic is an excellent and affordable way to realign the spine (and therefore the Central Nervous System.) Proper alignment prevents secondary compensation—meaning the body doesn’t shift into unhealthy positions to compensate for the injury, causing other problems down the road.
2.Massage: Pet massage is another good way to treat tissue inflammation and prevent secondary compensation in your animal’s body. There are some good books and videos out on how to do this yourself. Massage is also a nice way to bond with your pet and offers good opportunity to get familiar with where there could be tightness, inflammation or soreness.
3.Stretching: Stretching your pet is another beneficial practice for reducing degeneration and preventing soft tissue injury. It’s particularly helpful with older pets and competition/working dogs.
4.Supplements: Adding certain supplements to your pet’s diet can provide the raw materials for cartilage repair or maintenance, work with your holistic vet to determine a custom-made protocol for your pet’s specific musculoskeletal needs.

By implementing some common-sense measures in the areas of nutrition, exercise, and injury prevention, you can minimize your pet’s degenerative joint changes and help her live a long, healthy, happy and ACTIVE life.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 22nd, 2009, 10:15 am

Have you tried Dog-Gone-Pain? I know some folks that swear by it...

http://www.doggonepain.com/
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby CinderDee » October 22nd, 2009, 11:49 am

My friend uses a supplement that she said is a miracle for her dog. I'll get the name for you.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » October 22nd, 2009, 2:52 pm

Dog Gone Pain is on my research list, It was recommended by a member of the Tripawds group. I'm hoping to get to some of the research work tonight while I'm away from home and confined to a hotel room.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely check them all out.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby hugapitbull » October 22nd, 2009, 7:55 pm

Our precious woke up this morning with a cough. Had to take her to the vet to be checked out. The Dx was bronchial infection - has antibiotics and cough meds for the next few days. If this doesn't kick butt by next week, she will have to go in for more in depth eval.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » October 22nd, 2009, 9:10 pm

:goodthoughts:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » October 22nd, 2009, 9:45 pm

Sending plenty of good thoughts to Miss Trouble's way.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyChick » October 22nd, 2009, 11:35 pm

We are wishing Trouble the BEST with everything! She is such a sweetheart.

Please give Trouble and Duke hugs and butt scratches from us.

Love,
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » October 23rd, 2009, 12:28 am

Lots of healing vibes and love being send to the Princess. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » October 23rd, 2009, 4:12 am

Lots of healing thoughts & hugs are on their way to Trouble from Kato...and me. :goodthoughts:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer