Trouble's Diagnosis

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Marinepits » November 28th, 2008, 6:46 pm

What pain meds is she on? Any antibiotics? What aftercare did they ask you to do for her incision?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » November 28th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Marinepits wrote:What pain meds is she on? Any antibiotics? What aftercare did they ask you to do for her incision?

Pain meds are rimadyl - 1/2 of 100mg tab twice daily
Antibiotics - Cephalexin 500mg twice daily

No special incision care. If it gets crusty, clean with hydrogen peroxide. No medication on the site.

She was starting to whine a little so I gave her the afternoon pain med. She's napping again now.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » November 29th, 2008, 1:47 am

:shock: :o

I can't believe that she "bounced back" that quickly!!!

Still keeping all fingers and paws crossed for a good biopsy result... and sending some gentle butt scratches to our new tripod girl. :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby KJS » November 29th, 2008, 4:10 am

COME ON TROUBLE!!!!! :D
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » November 29th, 2008, 6:37 am

amazincc wrote::shock: :o

I can't believe that she "bounced back" that quickly!!!

Still keeping all fingers and paws crossed for a good biopsy result... and sending some gentle butt scratches to our new tripod girl. :wink: :hug3:

She surprises us around every turn :dance:
Enjoyed the butt scratch, Christine, but prefers to be 'tripawed'. :|

When we got her home, we took her straight to the bedroom. We are having to help her more than I would like because we have slick tile floors and she gets zero traction. She was pretty tired from the long walk from the vehicle to the bedroom and curled up for a nap. I went on about my business, trying to get a few things done. A while later Bob called out to me "She's coming your way". I walked around the kitchen so I could look down the hallway. Pretty soon I saw a shadow move. And then I saw a nose appear, and then she hopped down the hall to me. It was pretty spookie to watch. She wasn't getting traction, and really was having to struggle. But I kept telling her what a good dog she was and she made it without falling. She laid in the hall and I sat with her and petted her as she rested. Today Bob is going shopping to find a cure for the slick floors. It's hard to encourage her when you're afraid she will fall :nono:

Another story I forgot to share. We were preparing to leave the vet clinic yesterday, Bob was getting her in the vehicle (Hyundai Tuson, small SUV) and I was picking up some items I had dropped in the grass to help him. A blonde girl in scrubs came running out to us, as she was passing me she asked "Are you taking Trouble home?" I told her we were and she ran past me she said "I have to tell her goodbye" and she ran on to the vehicle. She pushed Bob out of the way and jumped into the back with Trouble. Bob hadn't heard her as she passed me, so he had no idea why this young blonde was crawling into the vehicle. He's thinking maybe we could keep her :doh: She hugged Troubie, petted and talked to her and gave her a goodbye kiss, jumped out of the vehicle and was off just as quickly as she appeared.

Bob's disappointed :neener:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby BullyLady » November 29th, 2008, 6:41 am

Maybe while Trouble is adjusting to her new tripawed status you could get her some booties that have either leather or shoe-sole type bottoms to provide her with some extra traction. That might help her confidence level alot!

And that is sooooo sweet about the girl at your vet's office, you just know Trouble is receiving the best care there. :loveU:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby hugapitbull » November 29th, 2008, 7:03 am

BullyLady wrote:And that is sooooo sweet about the girl at your vet's office, you just know Trouble is receiving the best care there. :loveU:

I have no doubt she had the very best care. They were awesome. The vet gave us all the time we wanted during the consultation, on the phone prior to surgery, and answering questions when we picked her up. He was never rushed, and was positive even when telling us none of our options were great. The vet tech (who ran out to say goodbye) was wonderful and cheerful when she called me to give me the update the evening of the surgery. I can't say enough nice things about this group of folks.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby call2arms » November 29th, 2008, 10:28 am

Oh, I'm so happy to see that Trouble is doing ok, I had seen the start of the thread but could not look again bc of crazy week at school, but I was wondering what was going on with her!

She looks great, and wow she seems to be adapting like a champ!

For the floors, maybe boots such as muttluks could improve traction until a new solution is found? You could even add anti-slipping material under the soles!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » November 29th, 2008, 12:16 pm

I am so happy Trouble is on the way to recovery!

Watch this video. Fancy was a throw-away dog that a past member, Msvette2u, rescued. I fell in love with Fancy, and donated for the amputation. I don't usually mention my donations, but I am very proud of this one. Fancy was adopted by a wonderful woman who used him as her (legal/certified) service dog.

You will be amazed at what a dog with 3 legs can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-4ZZVY ... re=related
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » November 29th, 2008, 1:06 pm

:) Way to go Trouble!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Pit♥bull » November 29th, 2008, 3:02 pm

hugapitbull wrote:he had no idea why this young blonde was crawling into the vehicle. He's thinking maybe we could keep her :doh: She hugged Troubie, petted and talked to her and gave her a goodbye kiss, jumped out of the vehicle and was off just as quickly as she appeared.
Bob's disappointed :neener:
I can't believe Shanna wouldn't let me bring her home... :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » November 29th, 2008, 3:09 pm

What a great video, Joyce. Just proves there are rarely any dogs that are 'worthless'. Fancy found her purpose in life with just a little help along the way.

Trouble had her first visitor this morning. My friend Maureen came over to be sure everything was truly Ok. They were so excited to see each other. I'm not sure who was happiest. Maureen got tons of slurpies and Trouble got lots of petting and butt scratches. Of course when Maureen comes over we always go outside, so Trouble had to go out. She did a great job. Even made it further than I had expected. As soon as she gets her balance going and gets healed I'm sure she will be back to her normal self.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » November 29th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Shanna, a tip just in case she begins to bother the incision site..some do, some don't - our last amputee was a stitch bugger and everything we tried she would find a way around...until we put a toddlers tight fitting t-shirt on her, then used vet wrap to keep it down.

No stick, no fuss, no stitch bugging.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » November 29th, 2008, 8:15 pm

airwalk wrote:Shanna, a tip just in case she begins to bother the incision site..some do, some don't - our last amputee was a stitch bugger and everything we tried she would find a way around...until we put a toddlers tight fitting t-shirt on her, then used vet wrap to keep it down.

No stick, no fuss, no stitch bugging.

We're in pretty good shape with the incision. All of the stitches are internal, so it hasn't been a big deal. She will occasionally try a lick, but we distract her and all is well. She does have a Dallas Cowboys jersey (with her name on it) I can put on her if necessary. And the vet wrap is a wonderful idea.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby cheekymunkee » November 30th, 2008, 1:26 am

This is an awesome story! I didnt want to read the updates but I am SO glad I did!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » November 30th, 2008, 10:35 am

I am wondering if dogs have 'phantom leg' like humans do? Once Trouble's brain realizes there is one less leg, I am sure she will be adapting to balance better.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby blabsforbullies » November 30th, 2008, 10:53 am

iluvk9 wrote:I am wondering if dogs have 'phantom leg' like humans do?

We wonder about that too. I think the consensus is "maybe". :backRoll: Some owners swear that they pets do, and others never mention it. :|

I'm glad to hear that Trouble is doin' her thang so well! :highfive: Hope you guys are holding up too! :groupHug:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Hundilein » November 30th, 2008, 10:57 am

I just now got time to read all this! Good thoughts are on their way for continued healing and adjusting to Trouble's new tripawed status. I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » November 30th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Good morning all. :wave2: Just wanted to thank everyone for staying with us through all the updates. It really helps us out to let folks know how she is doing and to receive the positive reinforcement :)
I'm going to answer some of the questions from the last few posts along with the update.

Cheeky, OMG, we have laughed and laughed at you not wanting to read the updates. I'm so glad you did. Even if this only buys us a short time, this period is very positive for us and her right now. Please keep following, if it start to turn south you have my permission to stop reading :wink:

Joyce, if she is having any phantom leg issues, I can't tell. She seems to be without any kind of pain, but then again, she's still on the pain meds. It may change when they run out.

Blabs, So far we're holding up well. The sleeping on the pallet on the floor is not so wonderful, but it beats trying to make her understand she has to begin a new life on the floor while she's still recovering from the surgery. We get up really early, but manage to take naps during the day. Going outside is the biggest challenge. It's a long walk and she tires by the time we get out the door. We're trying different temporary devices to help her maneuver. Tried a towel, but it's to short we end up with aching backs from bending over. Tried a long sleeve shirt, this may work, but I need a way to hold up the tail, it's way too long and she tends to step on it with the back paws.

And now the update for late yesterday and this morning. Trouble is trying hard to get back to her 'normal' routines. She wants to be with me in the kitchen when I prepare dinner. I helped her down the hall and put a rug on the floor in the kitchen. She was able to lay there and watch as she always has done. Last night after we ate, she went to her table and had her meal. The first time she's tried to eat or drink at her table. Woohoo!! For now I've moved it to the bedroom, but as soon as her stamina and confidence improve just a wee bit more, I'll move it back to the kitchen where it belongs. When we went out for our morning 'business' run, she had to rest a lot, but insisted on going across the driveway to her normal place. We wake up to big, happy, slurpies as she hobbles around between the two of us, giving kisses to one and beating the other with that happy wagging tail. She gets around the bedroom amazingly well. I'm reluctant to let her do too much in the rest of the house alone because of the tile floors, but that day will come.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » November 30th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Wow... I am so happy to read this update!!! :dance: :)

And I absolutely FORBID a bad biopsy result.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer