Trouble's Diagnosis

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby iluvk9 » October 23rd, 2009, 6:53 am

Kisses and hugs to Trouble. She is our poster girl for tenacity!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » January 23rd, 2010, 12:04 pm

I've been chastised for not keeping Trouble's topic current. She is now approaching 14 months (on the 26th) and just had her quarterly cancer check while she was boarded during our recent trip. Her bloodwork is as perfect as one could wish for and her heart and lungs remain strong. The glucosamine is helping her stay active - well as active as she wants to be, she has always preferred a good nap. Except for during this horrible rainy season we've had, she does a parameter check of our property line daily. Some days she has to rest, but most days she makes the trip without more than the normal sniffing stops.

If you remember, when we started this journey the statistics were that 10% of those diagnosed with osteosarcoma would make it to the 1 year mark. Missy stood her ground and insisted Trouble would be in that 10%. Thank you, Missy for being so supportive and so positive.

There were five members of the Tripawds forum who had November 2008 surgeries. One of them lost their battle just days shy of the 1 year mark, one of them the day after Christmas, and one just last week. Nova the Dane and Trouble stand alone on the journey. This really has me pretty freaked out, but I'm trying every day to beat the fear demon. While we accepted from the beginning, that amputation and chemo would give us 'borrowed' time, I am now painfully aware of what that means. Dr F and I had a discussion about the 1 year mark being the standard life expectancy for the lucky ones and he assured me if anyone can beat the odds, he is positive it is Trouble.

Ok, enough doom and gloom. We celebrate the gift of life with each new day. Trouble is treated like the queen she deserves to be, and has our undivided attention. She is spoiled to a shameful level. We jump if she even looks like she needs something.

Thank you guys, for being here for us on the journey we never wanted to take.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » January 23rd, 2010, 12:14 pm

hugapitbull wrote:
Thank you guys, for being here for us on the journey we never wanted to take.
X1000 :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » January 23rd, 2010, 12:17 pm

What a wonderful update. :D Trouble should be treated like a princess, because she gives you back that love you give her 10x over. I think we all have something to learn from others here. Joyce has taught me to stay in the moment and imagine what you want the outcome to be. Positive energy attracts more positive energy. You can't give into the negative.
She is a fighter and will continue to fight as long as she is able. Go, Trouble Go. :mrHappy:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » January 23rd, 2010, 7:42 pm

And my little Grasshopper, Missy, has seen first hand how the law of attraction works. :)

What a wonderful update! Trouble has been a true survivor. And so have both of you, Shanna and Bob. :hug3:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » January 23rd, 2010, 8:44 pm

:hug3: for you and Trouble! I am glad to hear she is doing so well :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 23rd, 2010, 8:52 pm

Hooray for good bloodwork! That's a great update. Smooches to trouble from us. :D
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Brownies Mom » January 23rd, 2010, 9:38 pm

Good to hear that Trouble is feeling good! Today, that's all that really matters. :dance: It's hard not to think about the future, but Trouble doesn't know about the other dogs and the one year mark, so take heart that even though it worries you, it doesn't affect or influence her one bit. Aren't dogs wonderful? :confetti:

One of my friends had a greyhound with osteo and they got her leg amputated about the same time I put Brownie on his holistic cancer diet and treatments. Three and 1/2 years later (ahem, let me repeat - yes osteo - yes 3 and 1/2 years) she did lose her battle, but was a happy hound up to the end. Brownie went 4 and 1/2 years, even though he was given 2 years. So you just don't know.

Give Trouble a big ol' smooch and hug from me, and ear skritches from A-Jay. Remy prefers to send ear snuffles. :hug3:
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby hugapitbull » January 24th, 2010, 10:30 am

Brownies Mom wrote:Good to hear that Trouble is feeling good! Today, that's all that really matters. :dance: It's hard not to think about the future, but Trouble doesn't know about the other dogs and the one year mark, so take heart that even though it worries you, it doesn't affect or influence her one bit. Aren't dogs wonderful? :confetti:

THANK YOU!. Logic tells me all these things, but my heart gets sidetracked on a tangent of it's own. I know what you say is true, and this was a needed and welcomed reminder.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » January 24th, 2010, 6:49 pm

What a wonderful update! :confetti: I fully expect Trouble to be with us for a long time. I just hope she doesn't start acting like a bratty spoiled puppy like someone we know and love. *coughKate* :nono:

Sending hugs to all of you! :groupHug:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » January 24th, 2010, 7:06 pm

CinderDee wrote:I just hope she doesn't start acting like a bratty spoiled puppy like someone we know and love. *coughKate* :nono:

Ooops, too late... :oops:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Jenn » January 24th, 2010, 9:11 pm

:goodStuff:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » January 25th, 2010, 9:40 am

hugapitbull wrote:
CinderDee wrote:I just hope she doesn't start acting like a bratty spoiled puppy like someone we know and love. *coughKate* :nono:

Ooops, too late... :oops:

:giggle:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » May 26th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Today we celebrate Trouble's 18 month ampuversary – what a ride! It is a journey we didn't want to embark upon, but one we learned to navigate as each new obstacle was thrown into the path. For the most part, Trouble has been the leader – she is allowed to try just about anything she thinks she can handle (with the exception of jumping – we restrict her jumping as much as possible).

The day she was diagnosed, we never dreamed we would see 18 months. Trouble was sent home from her diagnosing vet with a death sentence. The vet didn't believe she was a candidate for amputation because she was overweight. She sent me home with a large bottle of Tramadol and instructions to love her and keep her happy – she has 2 – 3 months.

She had her second opinion evaluation the next day. We were encouraged to do the amputation – the only way to stop the pain. We trusted this wonderful man and he has lead us down the path for the last 18 months.

Along with Dr F's guidance, we have the support of the wonderful PBT family to give us courage, hope, and understanding. We are truly blessed.

Trouble is starting to struggle with arthritis and we will work through that in the coming weeks.

Trouble is our courage, our strength, our friend. That she can offer others hope from this horrible disease brings joy to our hearts.

Happy Ampuversary, our beautiful friend.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby katiek0417 » May 26th, 2010, 7:19 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Today we celebrate Trouble's 18 month ampuversary – what a ride! It is a journey we didn't want to embark upon, but one we learned to navigate as each new obstacle was thrown into the path. For the most part, Trouble has been the leader – she is allowed to try just about anything she thinks she can handle (with the exception of jumping – we restrict her jumping as much as possible).

The day she was diagnosed, we never dreamed we would see 18 months. Trouble was sent home from her diagnosing vet with a death sentence. The vet didn't believe she was a candidate for amputation because she was overweight. She sent me home with a large bottle of Tramadol and instructions to love her and keep her happy – she has 2 – 3 months.

She had her second opinion evaluation the next day. We were encouraged to do the amputation – the only way to stop the pain. We trusted this wonderful man and he has lead us down the path for the last 18 months.

Along with Dr F's guidance, we have the support of the wonderful PBT family to give us courage, hope, and understanding. We are truly blessed.

Trouble is starting to struggle with arthritis and we will work through that in the coming weeks.

Trouble is our courage, our strength, our friend. That she can offer others hope from this horrible disease brings joy to our hearts.

Happy Ampuversary, our beautiful friend.

A huge milestone! Congratulations Trouble (and Shanna and Bob)... :dance:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » May 26th, 2010, 7:27 pm

:confetti:
What a fantastic thing to celebrate!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 26th, 2010, 7:47 pm

Truly remarkable girl you've got there! Congrats. :D
I wish the best for Trouble in the future.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 26th, 2010, 8:14 pm

What an amazing milestone to reach!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » May 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Trouble is a true symbol for strength and courage. Congrats to all of you for keeping the faith.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby plebayo » May 27th, 2010, 8:47 am

madremissy wrote:Trouble is a true symbol for strength and courage. Congrats to all of you for keeping the faith.

Ditto to this. If it's cool I'll be using her story if anyone ever asks if amputation is worth it. 18months is amazing. Go Trouble!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer