Trouble's Diagnosis

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby madremissy » December 9th, 2008, 9:50 pm

I still have HOPE that she will be in that 20%. Like Joyce says, see the end result and visualize it.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby KJS » December 10th, 2008, 4:28 am

Paws pressed here for you and trouble
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » December 10th, 2008, 11:13 am

I'm sure Trouble can squish her little buttocks into that 20% margin. You're in my toughts.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby hugapitbull » December 10th, 2008, 11:32 am

call2arms wrote:I'm sure Trouble can squish her little buttocks into that 20% margin. You're in my toughts.

This one made me laugh! I don't think she will qualify for 'little' buttocks, she's kinda on Michelle's fat dog list. :oops: We are working on getting her weight down to take some strain off her front leg. She's doing well on her diet so far which really amazes me. She really is quite a chow hound.

The news yesterday was a little downer, but today the positive thoughts have taken over and we'll make that 20%. She is doing so well, I can't believe she can do anything but improve. She is getting around better each day. Yesterday she mowed me over in the hallway. I wasn't moving fast enough. :shock: Bob ordered her a 'beating cancer' tee yesterday. We're on a mission to kick cancer butt.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Jenn » December 10th, 2008, 12:16 pm

:goodthoughts: Thoughts and prayers for the three of you :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » December 10th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Bob ordered her a 'beating cancer' tee yesterday. We're on a mission to kick cancer butt.

I can't wait to see it! You guys have a great attitude!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » December 10th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Just got a call from the vet. The chemo meds should be here tomorrow. We are 'on call'. When he gets them, he will call us to bring Trouble in. We're excited, and apprehensive :shock:

Keep us in your thoughts tomorrow afternoon.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » December 10th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Sending good thoughts and lots of positive energy her way for tomorrow. :hug3:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » December 10th, 2008, 8:43 pm

The airwaves are full of good thoughts for Trouble. (somehow that just sounds very funny)
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » December 10th, 2008, 8:55 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Prognosis, has not changed. With amputation only, about 3-4 months. With amputation and chemo, about 12 months with about a 20% chance of 2 years.

Well, crapola... :bs:
I thought once you chose amputation there was a better recovery rate. This just ain't right.
And, yeah, chemo is VERY expensive, BUT... most dogs tolerate it SO much better than humans.

Knowing what I know now... and having seen first-hand what it was like for Mick - I would do it ALL over again. From first diagnosis to coming out of remission completely, Mick LOVED life for an additional 10 months. More importantly I got to love him for a little while longer, and it made a huge difference to both of us.
And had he responded to the oral chemo medication at all... well, he'd still be here now, probably.
Having to have him euthanized was one of the hardest and most gut-wrenching decisions I've ever made, but I knew he was in a tremendous amount of pain and there wasn't anything that could be done. Maybe pain management for 2-3 weeks, but he would've hated not being able to really "live" anymore... and I would've hated it right along with him.
Micks quality of life was always my first priority... the quantity would've been strictly for my benefit.

Anyway... the reason for my "spiel" is this - side effects like nausea and diarrhea can be combated w/some very effective and fairly inexpensive meds, and those should go away within a day or three.
Regardless of the crappy prognosis, timewise, chemo will buy Trouble some extra time. If her quality of life isn't too compromised (other than a couple of days of not feeling too great after each treatment) it will also give you and Bob some extra time to prepare for the inevitable.
Live... love... laugh.
Mick and I crammed a lot of that into ten months, and I am SO grateful that we had the opportunity to say "good-bye" of sorts.

So, give chemo a chance, even if Trouble has some possible side effects.
Bring her to the vet tomorrow and know that every possible good vibe and tons of good thoughts are coming her way, and - DO kick cancers butt!!!

I will be with you guys in spirit tomorrow! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » December 10th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Oh, thanks you guys for all the good thoughts. You're just the kick in the butt we need exactly when we need it. We'll be strong tomorrow knowing you are standing with us. :groupHug:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » December 10th, 2008, 9:29 pm

I agree with Christine about chemo. I have always had such a fear of it and honestly I would do it again in a heartbeat. (Cerenia was a godsend for Kato's nausea & vomiting.)

Kato & I are with you in spirit as well. :groupHug: Kick cancer's butt for all of us, Trouble!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » December 11th, 2008, 3:13 pm

I cant wait to see her in her t-shirt! I am positive chemo will treat her well & she will be all over that 20%.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » December 11th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Ya'll are in my thoughts this afternoon! Please update when you can.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby madremissy » December 11th, 2008, 6:07 pm

Just checking in for any updates. Been in my thoughts all afternoon.
madremissy

Postby hugapitbull » December 11th, 2008, 6:22 pm

madremissy wrote:Just checking in for any updates. Been in my thoughts all afternoon.

Got a call just a few minutes ago. The meds had just arrived. They want to bring her in tomorrow morning, do the blood panel workup, administer the chemo and have us pick her up late afternoon. I'm sure the smidgen of snow in southeast Texas slowed the deliveries today.

We haven't been able to leave the house together since the surgery. Tomorrow will at least give us the opportunity to have lunch out or some other small outing before we have to pick her up.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » December 12th, 2008, 12:02 am

Sending tons of good thoughts for tomorrow! :goodthoughts:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » December 12th, 2008, 12:25 am

Oh, I just saw this. Good thoughts for tomorrow.
madremissy

Postby airwalk » December 12th, 2008, 12:46 am

Tons of good thoughts for tomorrow coming for the West Coast. Go Trouble, kick Cancer's butt.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » December 12th, 2008, 9:46 am

:goodthoughts:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer