JuJube has cancer

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby luvypitbulls » July 11th, 2008, 1:38 pm

sigh I hate thinking about this but I guess it is good to share the sad stuff as well as the good ...and kindly I have been invited to do so

if you go to this sight (JuJu's Auntie Jody runs a wonderful Animal protection site) and scroll down past the sadness and horrors of the all to many stories we know ..you can read JuJube's story!

http://members.tripod.com/~animom/dogs.html

on your way scrolling down there are some great pictures of JuJu on past Halloweens :D I think there is an Easter one there as well

we have with our vets support opted to not inflict any more on her in the hopes of a less than 40% survival rate (I forgot the name of the cancer I am sorry!) after I got the diagnosis I just went blank...so many dogs put down each day I do not have the heart to spend thousands of dollars of money I do not have to try on a slim chance to save her ...or have her last days be full of tests and surgery followed by chemo..I am a nurse and care for people like that ..I just could not do it

anyway I know there are lots of you out there feeling like I am .

so on the brighter side of life in order to sooth our pain we adopted two more rescues and our lives are rollar coasters of UP and fun and down and sad ...argh it sucks huh?

JuJu is happier now than ever and she has always been a happy dog..she still plays, eats well, no signs of struggle except she gets tired easy ....

every day I am grateful that is for sure!
ImageImageImage
Last edited by luvypitbulls on July 11th, 2008, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » July 11th, 2008, 1:49 pm

:hug3:
Love the pumpkin on the head picture!! :heartbeat:

May the rest of ya'lls days together be the best they can, thank you for sharing, I'm sorry she has cancer.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvypitbulls » July 11th, 2008, 1:59 pm

thanks ...me too my husband could not resist :)
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » July 11th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Sooooooooo CUTE!!! :lol3:

Wishing you the best and sending prayers up for Juju. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » July 11th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Enjoy each day to the fullest with your adorable JuJu. Stay Strong.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » July 11th, 2008, 2:30 pm

I know it is very difficult to talk about cancer, but now you have a very large support group. :groupHug:

No one here would ever dare pass judgement on how someone else handles a situation like this, trust me. :dance:

JuJube is just gorgeous! Apparently you are JuJube's Angel and that is why she is with you. :haloGreen:

I also applaud your decision, as I made the same one for my Carlos Garcia, who had cancer. I promise my dogs that I will always choose quality of life for them and that is how I will always choose.

Please keep us updated on her good days and maybe not so good days.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 11th, 2008, 2:39 pm

I'm so glad you shared her story. I made the same choice with my Elwood...a mixed breed who got Lymphoma...:hug3:

We're all here for you and JuJube...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby luvypitbulls » July 11th, 2008, 2:44 pm

thanks I keep reading about others ...and now I just have to go take everyone to play in the river for a while!

you guys are awesome this does help

OOOXXX
Heidi

(Yoda's mom is a Heidi as well if I am not mistaken ? I had so many tears reading his thread I Had to stop! :( )

JuJu loves to dress up! I swear she just poses in anything ..and she is a very high "game" (the good kind) dog anything you teach her only has to be said once! she just was so into it all!!!
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 11th, 2008, 2:49 pm

She is gorgeous and I am glad you shared all the picts and her story!

Looks like she is a great gal!

Congrats on the new additions!!!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » July 11th, 2008, 2:53 pm

I'm so sorry your baby is sick. BUT you did say 40%, that is a LOT better than some diagnoses. I will send good healing thoughts to her & I hope she is around for YEARS to come. To treat or not to treat is a hard and personal decision. We support you no matter which you choose.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvypitbulls » July 11th, 2008, 3:14 pm

I should be clear about the 40% she would have that percent if we did surgery chemo and perhaps radiation as well ...there was a 40% chance it would extend her life at all ..for how long or what the quality would be...well our vet adores her and said she thinks we are doing the right thing

this is an aggressive very vascular cancer

ok enough sadness out the door I have 6 needy eyes drilling holes in me!

OOOXXX
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby CinderDee » July 11th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Thanks so much for sharing the story & pics of beautiful JuJube. I'm so sorry to hear she has cancer. As everyone else has said, we would never make a judgment on your choice not to treat her. Just know we are all here for you & JuJu. :groupHug:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 11th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Have a great day and enjoy the beautiful weather :)
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » July 11th, 2008, 3:27 pm

I'm so sorry. This cancer BS SUCKS!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby HappyChick » July 11th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I'm so sorry to read this about JuJu, but thank you for sharing. I support your decision also. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers for you all.

P.S.
Your dogs are beautiful!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 11th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. It's so devastating how many dogs out there are suffering from cancer.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » July 11th, 2008, 5:32 pm

I made a similar decision for my big boy "Bear" so each must make the decision that is right for them and their dog.

You have my sympathies. Please rejoice in every day.
airwalk
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 11th, 2008, 9:16 pm

airwalk wrote:I made a similar decision for my big boy "Bear" so each must make the decision that is right for them and their dog.

You have my sympathies. Please rejoice in every day.

Agreed. I had decided to go the same way you're going if it ended up being a GI Lymphoma (which ended up not being the case).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby KJS » July 12th, 2008, 4:09 am

Thanks for sharing your story with us ..and as everyone here knows there is only you who can make those decisions for your dog...we are here to support you in those decisions...not to make them for you...nor to recriminate on the ones you make...you know in your heart whats best for your dog..there is no "good" treatment for what Dumak has so we have done all the research we can and made all the best life changes we can for him so that we can manage his problems and treat the outbreaks and try to hold it back as long as possible...as soon as it spreads and he is in any pain at all we will say our last goodbyes ...

I had to make that decision also for my Heart dog Elric some years ago and I had to make that on the spot because so quickly was it that bad...that was harder to do...

Enjoy the time you have together and try not to dwell on it
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby luvypitbulls » July 12th, 2008, 9:31 am

You guys are so awesome thank you!!

I was out with the dogs the other day and a woman came up and asked about them ..during what I would consider an already rude interaction (I am teaching the puppies not to jump and asked her to please not allow it ...that it would help immensly if she would also correct them...she said "I dont care if they jump come here puppies jump away!" every correction I made she walked into my space and undermined..I am not myself lately and I just was getting more and more annoyed with her ...
then when we got to the subject of cancer she made the comment

"well my dog had a serious form of cancer too and she was worth it to me to save..so we did surgery and chemo on her ...she was heading for Westminster after all ...so I had to try...it gave her two weeks and she died after treatment but it was worth it to me to at least try she was a huge investment"

:puke:
why did me ..a pacifist want to just beat the $#%^ out of her ? I mean I seriously had to contain myself! I never get this way ..usually I can just let people blab and ignore the words that come out of thier mouth ..my way of thinking is that I only should care how I behave....but she pissed me off badly and I wanted to hit her!

if it was just a surgery or something I knew we could heal I would do what I could ..but it is the quality of her life that is so meaningful to me not quantity especially when I would just be trying to save her for myself ..not for anything good for her ....and so many very healthy dogs are put down daily ..is it fair to her? to the breed? to me? to all the people trying to place unwanted dogs?

she did win the doggy lottery when she was rescued and has given back so much more than I have given her I believe ...I just can not do this

so thank you so much for being so kind ...your warmth and support is felt and I totally appreciate and empathise ..this just sucks!!!

ps I have no regrets for wanting to hit that lady ...I am glad I didnt it would be totally out of character for me ..but I wanted to and it felt good to kind of picture her flying across the parking lot after I gave her a good wack!!!
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Canine Cancer