Wally Joins the Cancer Club

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » July 22nd, 2008, 10:37 am

SisMorphine wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to stop the crying and start the enjoying.

Follow Wallys lead. And know that he will enjoy you more if you can concentrate on the "here and now".

A very smart member told me exactly that when Beast got sick. Name rhymes w/Clarissa. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 22nd, 2008, 10:59 am

We have a member named Clarissa? She sounds like one smart chick ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pocketpit » July 22nd, 2008, 6:37 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how to stop the crying and start the enjoying.

Don't worry about trying to stop the crying. It's natural and all part of the grieving process. When I got news of Brooks having lymphoma all I did was cry for a few days. Then I found places to take her where we could enjoy walking or just sitting down somewhere and enjoying the scenery together. And then I came home and cried some more. But thinking about our special time together also gave me something to be glad about.
You and Wally are very special to this board and we're all here for you. You have a lot of shoulders to cry on so cry away. :groupHug:
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 22nd, 2008, 6:51 pm

Wally has lived the good life for as long as he has lived with you. I'm so sorry this is happening to you guys. (((hugs)))
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » July 23rd, 2008, 11:58 pm

He ate like a champ yesterday, and of course today ate nothing except two small ice creams :(

He started his prednisone tonight. In the next couple of days I really hope to see a difference in his appetite and energy level.

A HUGE thank you to PBT for the umpteenth time. I couldn't make it through this without your support. We are lucky to have you guys as our "keyboard family" and I hope to one day be able to meet each and every one of you face to face. And I hope that Wally is around to meet those of you that he hasn't met yet. He loves being pet and snuggled ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby TheRedQueen » July 24th, 2008, 12:21 am

Stay strong for that Wally-man...he knows what you're doing for him...and I'm sure he appreciates all the love and care, even though he may not be able to express it right now. :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » July 24th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Sis,
How's Wally doing on the prednisone? Hope you're both having a better day. Still sending good thoughts your way :goodthoughts:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » July 24th, 2008, 6:40 pm

Alyssa, I'm so sorry to hear the news, I wish there were words that could make you feel better - but you know there just aren't any.

Please remember to take care of you..and yes crying is part of the process...but don't forget to really really enjoy the good times.
airwalk
I live here

Postby luvypitbulls » July 24th, 2008, 8:28 pm

lots of hugs to you and yours please know I am thinking about you all the time and hoping you find some joy in the moment...OOOXXX
..today was actually nice one for us as I hope you found some joy in yours as well .Wally has a loving mama that is for sure! ..once I stopped the death watch ..we went walking and played in the water ...she is zonked and wheezy now but she had fun and I dont regret taking her

they have incredible drive inside

the pred should help it decreases inflamation and gives them a boost ..I dont think JuJu would feel like she did over the past month if we had not started it ...
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » July 24th, 2008, 10:19 pm

Well I knew the pred had kicked in when I got out of class tonight to find a frickin RIVER going down the center aisle of the store . . . and it was a Wally pee-pee river. Poor guy! But I have DEFINITELY never seen that much urine in my life!!

He ate about half a pound of raw for dinner and was actually excited about it. I tried to feed him more but he turned his nose up but that's okay. He still ate which makes me happy.

After speaking with my vet today she wants to start him on mushroom therapy, which will hopefully keep the cancer at bay a bit longer. She ordered the stuff so hopefully it'll be in within the week.

Again thank you to everyone for all of the good thoughts. I have found that Wally LOVES to just lay in the grass in the front yard, so hopefully it won't be raining in the morning so we can hang out and just snuggle in the grass before I have to go to work.
SisMorphine

Postby CinderDee » July 24th, 2008, 10:27 pm

That is such great news, Alyssa!!!

What's mushroom therapy? Kato gets a powder that's a mix of Maitake, Shitake & Reiki mushrooms, along with some other things. Is it something like that?

Sending hugs to you both!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » July 24th, 2008, 10:40 pm

CinderDee wrote:That is such great news, Alyssa!!!

What's mushroom therapy? Kato gets a powder that's a mix of Maitake, Shitake & Reiki mushrooms, along with some other things. Is it something like that?

I believe that's it. I haven't had time to look into it yet.
SisMorphine

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2008, 11:18 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
CinderDee wrote:That is such great news, Alyssa!!!

I believe that's it. I haven't had time to look into it yet.

I'm not familiar with "mushroom therapy." Please post about it when you get more info! I'd love to learn more.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby CinderDee » July 25th, 2008, 12:39 am

I'm not familiar with "mushroom therapy." Please post about it when you get more info! I'd love to learn more

Me too!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » July 25th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Me three...

Dee, is that what was in that magic potion/mix you sent me??? Can you give me a link to where you got it, please?

And YAY!! for Wally eating... wait 'til the prednisone really kicks in - you won't be able to stop him! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 25th, 2008, 2:32 pm

What a relief that he's eating!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » July 25th, 2008, 4:33 pm

He ate half a pound of raw today and has yet to turn his nose up to any of the treats offered to him since we've gotten to work. He also ate his ice cream, but it took a little coaxing . . . bastard. I think I'm going to start feeding him 3 half pound meals a day to get some weight on him since I'm sure his stomach is a little small right now.

He is peeing rivers, so yup, the pred has definitely kicked in. I forced him to go out at midnight to pee, he got me up at 4:30 to go out again. No more 8 hours of sleep for me! But anything for my man.
SisMorphine

Postby amazincc » July 25th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Oh, I remember the peeing... good God. Three months worth of running outside every 3-4 hours... same w/some of the chemo meds. :rolleyes2: :wink:

I am SO happy to hear that he is eating something... even if you have to bribe him w/ice cream (which I also do w/Beast) lol

What kind does Wally like? I usually get the little vanilla ice cream cups, 20 or so in a bag...

Does he have a little more energy from eating? How's he acting in general?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 25th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I make homemade ice cream 'cause he's so picky. I use Ice Pups mixture (which is an Honest Kitchen product), and I've been adding in the PDG supplement, mixing it with whole milk yogurt and freezing it in empty Motts Applesauce cups. I have tried about a MILLION different recipes and he has turned his nose up at all of them except for this . . . including real ice cream!!!

I can't say his energy is really up yet. He had problems jumping up into the car this morning, which broke my heart, but I also think that's because I haven't been able to get his joint stuff into him since all of this started. Though I think I found a place that carries his old joint supplement, which I can just squirt into his mouth, so I'm going to stop in this weekend to get it.

But the fact that he actually seemed excited about his breakfast was a very nice thing to see.
SisMorphine

Postby amazincc » July 25th, 2008, 5:05 pm

I think I will try that as well... make my own ice cream. :dance:

Maybe Sir Wallace had trouble w/the car because he hasn't been very active lately either... :neutral:

But him finally being excited about food cheered me up immensely! :clap:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer