Wally Joins the Cancer Club

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Hundilein » July 21st, 2008, 5:01 pm

:sad2: I am so sorry to hear this. Good thoughts for the best possible outcome in this sucky situation are on their way from me and the black and tans.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » July 21st, 2008, 5:07 pm

:(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » July 21st, 2008, 5:27 pm

You and Wally both are in my thoughts as well, I'm so sorry. :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hugapitbull » July 21st, 2008, 6:37 pm

Allyssa, I feel so badly for you. I can imagine what a basket case I would be. Hoping things turn around for you guys soon. Give Wally a scratch for me. My thoughts are with you.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby gayrghts » July 21st, 2008, 8:01 pm

Alyssa,

I can't imagine how you are feeling.... :bigCry: or how you can deal with work etc...

Hang in there.... do what you can, enjoy what good times you have....

I'll be sending my good thoughts for you and Wally and Teeny, to my God, but you can consider that its just "good thoughts" :hug3:
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 21st, 2008, 9:26 pm

Alright so I'm home now and can cry all I want. Here's the deal:

It is probably either adenocarcinoma or leiomyosarcoma. The former is a very aggressive cancer and even with removal and chemo there isn't much of a chance. For the latter some dogs have gotten another 1-2 years. But in the recent history the dogs my vets have dealt with either didn't make it through the surgery or didn't make it through the recovery period from the surgery. With Wally's weight being so low, low albumin, anemia, and just general weakened state he is not a good candidate for surgery at all.

She said that of course there is a small chance it could be some other type of cancer, but with how quickly he's gone downhill in the past week it is likely to be an aggressive cancer that is already severely taking it's toll. I have decided to just make him comfortable and happy, whether it be for two days or two months, he will be living the good life . . . just as soon as I can stop acting like he's already died.

Tomorrow I go to pick up some Prednisone to ad to his daily medicine regimen. Tonight he ate almost a half a can of Evo. I hope the pred will give him a bit more of an appetite . . .

And a huge thank you to those of you who have called. As soon as I can talk without crying hysterically I will call you back.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby HappyChick » July 21st, 2008, 9:35 pm

I want to say something comforting, but there are no words. Be strong for Wally. You are both in my thoughts (and prayers).
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby gayrghts » July 21st, 2008, 9:49 pm

SisMorphine wrote: I have decided to just make him comfortable and happy, whether it be for two days or two months, he will be living the good life . . . just as soon as I can stop acting like he's already died.
Tomorrow I go to pick up some Prednisone to ad to his daily medicine regimen. Tonight he ate almost a half a can of Evo. I hope the pred will give him a bit more of an appetite . . .
And a huge thank you to those of you who have called. As soon as I can talk without crying hysterically I will call you back.

Huggggs the pred may also give him a bit more energy, and make him comfortable.... yeah for half a can of Evo....
Yes he will be living the good life... and Thank Goodness we can do that with our dogs.... I hope he's got all the time you all need to adjust to this.... & go do fun stuff... :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 21st, 2008, 9:52 pm

Just spend some quality time with him, Alyssa. I know I don't need to tell you that, though. My heart is breaking for you right now. I've never met Wally in person, but I feel like I know him so well. He'll remain in my thoughts, as will you.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » July 21st, 2008, 9:54 pm

I don't even know what to say. Just know that there are lots of people who are sending good thoughts. I know you'll spoil Wally the best way you know how. And everyone here will be happy to listen to anything you need to say. And if you don't feel like talking, we'll just keep sending good thoughts. :hug3:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » July 22nd, 2008, 12:17 am

I'm so sorry, Alyssa. :( I hope the pred makes him feel better and you have much more time to spend with him.
Please let me know if I can do anything to help. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » July 22nd, 2008, 1:03 am

I support whatever choices you make for Wally, Alyssa.
You've been of of my best friends and greatest supporters when it comes to Beast... I hope to be able to return the favor. :hug3:

My heart just hurts for you right now. :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 22nd, 2008, 4:29 am

oh I am sorry :(
what dose of Pred is it? I'm betting it will make him feel a LOT better and help his appetite. Did she mention if it will help with the GI bleed? Did she say what action is causing the GI bleed? Is it an ulcerative type thing? Is it a clotting issue?

I can't imagine being in your shoes.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » July 22nd, 2008, 5:03 am

SisMorphine wrote:Alright so I'm home now and can cry all I want. Here's the deal:

It is probably either adenocarcinoma or leiomyosarcoma. The former is a very aggressive cancer and even with removal and chemo there isn't much of a chance. For the latter some dogs have gotten another 1-2 years. But in the recent history the dogs my vets have dealt with either didn't make it through the surgery or didn't make it through the recovery period from the surgery. With Wally's weight being so low, low albumin, anemia, and just general weakened state he is not a good candidate for surgery at all.

She said that of course there is a small chance it could be some other type of cancer, but with how quickly he's gone downhill in the past week it is likely to be an aggressive cancer that is already severely taking it's toll. I have decided to just make him comfortable and happy, whether it be for two days or two months, he will be living the good life . . . just as soon as I can stop acting like he's already died.

Lyss, my heart goes out to you :hug3: I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now, and what you must be going through...my heart is breaking for you. Cherish the time you have left with him, and cherish the memories you will hold in your heart forever. I know you will...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ellie@ny » July 22nd, 2008, 7:45 am

Oh no Alyssa.... :cry:
I'm so sorry to hear that,give him a hug from me...
I don't know what else to say,try to spend quality time with him as much as you can.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby TinaMartin » July 22nd, 2008, 8:12 am

I'm sorry you didnt get better news. I have a soft spot for Greyhounds. I was in rescue with a friend of mine for several years. My heart hurts for you. :cry:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby luvypitbulls » July 22nd, 2008, 8:42 am

This sounds like JuJube's story :( and we made the same choice ...I am at the point (sometimes) where can feel the moment and just embrace what we have instead of grieving constantly ...she is still my joy and heart... why act like she is gone when she is still here? we wll have plenty of time for that when they pass..but for now they are still wth us ..so more kisses hugs and cuddles ..

I have Juju on 20mg of prednsone a day and yes it does help her comfort, airway, energy level and for sure her appetite! I think she has gained wt...she also gets 1/2 a beer a day ..what the Hell I say she loves it and it seems to help her relax and sleep ..when she has a panic from the tumor in her throat I also give her a Xanax that relaxes her and she breaths better...it s all palative care now ..sometimes I want the Xanax! ..all I can say ..is ..honey I understand and am feeling the same pain right now ..this hard but we still have them ..here with us so lets enjoy the moment

I am so so sorry ...my empathy for you is real
hugs to you
Heidi

SisMorphine wrote:Alright so I'm home now and can cry all I want. Here's the deal:

luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » July 22nd, 2008, 9:55 am

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, my heart breaks for you and I'm so sorry. :cry:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby lellis34 » July 22nd, 2008, 10:11 am

Oh Alyssa - I'm so heartbroken for you. I'm sitting here in tears thinking about you and Wally. I hope he'll have lots more time and that the medicine will make him more than comfortable. Lots of hugs and puppy kisses to both of you.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby SisMorphine » July 22nd, 2008, 10:33 am

Thank you so much everyone. The new goal is to find a beach that'll allow dogs in the summer. Wally loves the beach and I don't care how far we have to drive.

I'm still trying to figure out how to stop the crying and start the enjoying.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer