Argh! Today was horrible...
First off... we had a different room. Mick was super-anxious and started hyperventilating before the techs even came into the room. They wanted to do an EKG, and when one of the nurses came in the room Mick literally tried to climb up on me to get away from her... he dug his nails into my arms so hard that I was bleeding. He also peed all over... and he NEVER does that.
The techs called Dr. Correa and she decided not to go ahead w/the Adriamycin... she said that Micks anxiety alone could cause him to have a very bad reaction... plus, he was in no state to lay down for 15 minutes and get the injection.
We discussed options...
Dr. Correa said she was inclined to start him on oral meds and stop the injections altogether, but that means that we have no treatment options left when Mick comes out of remission. So, I told her I didn't want to do that... she then suggested coming back next week to try the Adriamycin, but neither of us really believed that he would be more cooperative.
His behavior really had me stumped... until one of the techs told us that a dog had died in the room we were in, just this morning.
We switched rooms...
Mick calmed down a little, and Dr. Correa decided to treat him with a drug called Methotrexate... she uses it in place of the Adria when a dog has an adverse reaction, and it's a quick injection.
Mick cried and moaned a lot, but held still long enough for the shot and the follow-up blood work.
When he was done Caroline took him outside immediately and he puked all over... and then started howling because I was still in the office, waiting to pay for our visit.
The minute I came outside he did a happy dance... then grabbed a leaf... and RAN for the car.
So, after all this I really question my decision/choice for chemo therapy... I hate how terrified Mick becomes at the vet... but I also want him to live as long as possible, and chemo IS his best shot.
On the other hand... I don't want to be one of those selfish owners who subject their dogs to God-knows-what, just to keep them around a little longer.
I have two weeks to think about it... and if we continue w/chemo we have eight weeks left to go.
One thing is for sure though... my boy is very forgiving. Come hell or high water - I get my leaf each Tuesday, regardless of what he was subjected to.
Crap... what should I do???