Christine & Mick

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby CinderDee » January 8th, 2008, 3:51 am

Good luck with your chemo treatment today! You'll be in my thoughts.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 8th, 2008, 6:53 am

:goodthoughts:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Emi » January 8th, 2008, 7:37 am

:goodthoughts:
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 8th, 2008, 8:24 am

Fingers and toes crossed! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » January 8th, 2008, 8:39 am

Good thoughts coming from here!!! Good luck today!!! :hug3:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby lellis34 » January 8th, 2008, 9:18 am

Good luck good luck. He's gonna do great!!
:groupHug:
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2008, 10:22 am

Awww... thanks, you guys!
I am going to try the anti-anxiety drops from Alyssa today and see if they have an effect on Mick... if not, I will try them on myself next week... :D

Dee, I am so touched that you started this thread, since Kate is still going for chemo himself... thank you! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 8th, 2008, 10:46 am

Positive, cancer-fighting thoughts headed your way... :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby luvmypitties » January 8th, 2008, 10:54 am

Positive thoughts being sent your way by everyone here!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2008, 10:56 am

Thanks, Erin... btw - how are John and Sawyer doing? Ya know - the gallbladder stuff and the hind legs???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » January 8th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Ditto what everyone else said!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Beth » January 8th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Just now seeing this. I hope all went well with chemo today.
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmypitties » January 8th, 2008, 7:06 pm

So how did it go?
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » January 8th, 2008, 7:56 pm

Did the anxiety drops do anything? I would probably use them 3 times a day for at least a week before deciding if they work or not. I've found even the ones that claim to be quick acting work loads better when they've had some time to build up a bit . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby madremissy » January 8th, 2008, 8:40 pm

:hello5: Mick and Christine, How are you both feeling? Long day I am sure. Thinking about you. :goodthoughts:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jeni » January 8th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Hope everything went well today. You guys are in our thoughts.
dee de dee
Jeni
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » January 9th, 2008, 1:34 am

So... I know you're all waiting for an update... and I was very hesitant to post this one, but here it goes:
Mick's visit was horrible, to put it mildly. Not due to the staff or Dr. Correa (they really are the greatest people), but because Mick was a terrified mess. It took three of us to hold him down and they still almost lost his vein while they cleaned out the catheter w/saline solution. We did manage to hold him down long enough to administer the Vincristine, but it was literally touch-and-go... he howled and his eyes rolled back in his head while he tried to get away, and he started hyperventilating on top of that. The whole thing lasted maybe 5 minutes, but it was one of the longest five minutes of my life - and I honestly don't know if I want to subject Mick to that kind of stress for the next 19 weeks once a week.
Sedation is a possibility, but our Oncologist thinks it might be dangerous for him, because his blood pressure drops very low and they have a hard time reversing it afterwards. It's also an added $2000 to an already very expensive treatment, and while I am willing to beg, borrow and steal for this dog - I'm also wondering what all this is doing to him mentally/emotionally.
Dr. Correa told me this afternoon that she thinks Mick is very smart and will get "wise to us trying to trick him"... and will fight each visit even more. We have the option to switch to oral meds, which means less office visits... but it also means that the treatment won't be as effective as the chemo.
A part of me wants to continue the chemo to keep him around as long as possible, but the other part of me wants to do what's easier on Mick - even though that definitely means that we have no options left once he comes out of remission (if he goes into remission first, that is).
Katrina and I were "talking" about this earlier, and she reminded me that all the stress of each visit might hinder the actual effects of the chemo treatments anyway... and I sort of agree w/that.
Mick was terrified... and I hate seeing him that way.

And the killer was definitely the palm leaf he picked up in the parking lot on the way out of the vet office... he was still shaking, but he picked it up, carried it to my daughters car, jumped in the back seat w/me, nudged me - and gave it to me.
My heart absolutely went to pieces over that...

And I am sooo torn on what to do... right now the plan is to go back next week after giving him a combo of oral sedatives first, and see how he does. He'll also need blood work done before he gets his injection. I have a feeling that it will go the same way it did today.

My heart just hurts... for him, for me... and as much as I want him to live - I somehow can't justify to myself to go about it this way.
I do want it understood that this is not the "easy way out" for me... it's damned hard and I've already been second-guessing myself 50 times, just typing this. I haven't made a final decision yet... but my heart is telling me to switch over to the oral meds and just let Mick enjoy his remaining time w/us... he so LOVES life... and I so LOVE him.

Dammit... :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » January 9th, 2008, 1:47 am

Oh Christine I am so sorry! I am not sure what to say other than I am so sorry for everything you are going through and I know the position you are in... kinda. In the end I am sure you will make the best decision for both you and Mick. I know it cant be easy on you seeing him stress at the vet. Again I am so sorry Christine. :groupHug:
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby CinderDee » January 9th, 2008, 5:01 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, Christine. *hugs*

I'm wondering if it would make any difference if he had chemo until remission vs starting the oral meds now?

Kato "officially" went into remission after about a month. As I said, I don't know if it would make any difference in the outcome, or if he could even tolerate it, but just thought I'd ask. Maybe some Xanax or Valium prior to the visit?

I almost switched over to oral meds a few weeks ago because Kato was getting so sick from the chemo that I started to question what I was doing. They changed some things and now he's fine, but I did give it serious thought.

My thoughts are with you both! *hugs*
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 9th, 2008, 7:31 am

I know your heart is breaking over this. The only advice I can offer is to make an actual list of pros/cons and look at it with your logical head. Sometimes seeing your thoughts in an organized list takes away the emotionality and helps you to think clearly.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Canine Cancer