Christine & Mick

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » March 18th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Chemo therapy went well. I did not have to wrestle Mick Beast into position today... he flopped on the floor sideways after being given the "dead" command. There was some moaning, goaning and shaking... but no growling and no lunging.

Dr. Correa was able to do a hands-on exam... and felt a "mass" in his chest. It could be a tumor or it could be a build-up of fluid... in either case it's not a good sign.
We discussed needle aspiration (to see what it actually is) or - if it's fluid -draining it to prevent him from having breathing problems. Mick has been "coughing" and gets winded very fast lately... he sleeps A LOT and eats very little, yet he gained weight.

I have to call the office tomorrow to let her know how to proceed. We couldn't do any testing today (other than blood work), because Mick will have to be sedated, and we were already the last appointment of the day.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » March 18th, 2008, 8:57 pm

I am glad to hear that he did so well with the exam, but am VERY sorry to hear about the mass...

How long will it take to aspirate (?) it?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » March 18th, 2008, 9:03 pm

The actual procedure takes only a couple of minutes, I think... then it takes a couple of days to get the results (they will put a rush on it) even though Dr. Correa can read the slides herself to get an idea of what we might be dealing with.

Mick was a trooper... she actually examined him from head to toe for the first time ever (w/me still somewhat restraining him, of course) - and we could tell that he was terrified, but he let it happen.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » March 18th, 2008, 9:06 pm

On March 18 2008, 8:03 PM, amazincc wrote:The actual procedure takes only a couple of minutes, I think... then it takes a couple of days to get the results (they will put a rush on it) even though Dr. Correa can read the slides herself to get an idea of what we might be dealing with.

Mick was a trooper... she actually examined him from head to toe for the first time ever (w/me still somewhat restraining him, of course) - and we could tell that he was terrified, but he let it happen.

That's SO GREAT!!! Was there anything you did differently?

Will it be like a biopsy?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » March 18th, 2008, 9:19 pm

What did I do differently...
1. We've been "practicing" the dead command (I know - not the best term... but it works) as well as the restraint at home, on a daily basis, 4-5 times a day for periods of 5-15 minutes.
2. I let Mick choose where to lay down on his own today instead of flipping him to speed up the process, like I usually do.
3. When he started moaning, groaning and shaking... I pretty much completely ignored him and carried on a conversation w/the vet techs.
4. I made him wait for a command to "get up" before releasing him... usually he just bolts upright as soon as he thinks he's done.
5. I've been making him wear the muzzle at home for short periods of time during the day, since that seems to cause him a lot of anxiety at the vet.

You think that had something to do w/his behavior today?

He also wagged his tail a tiny bit when Dr. Correa examined him... usually it's tucked way under his belly. I wouldn't say they are friends, but he tolerated it better than he ever has before.

Yeah, the needle aspiration is like a biopsy... they examine whatever fluid/stuff they find.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » March 18th, 2008, 9:23 pm

I will continue to keep Mick in my prayers, Christine. Never give up hope or the power of positive thinking.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » March 18th, 2008, 9:30 pm

On March 18 2008, 8:19 PM, amazincc wrote:What did I do differently...
1. We've been "practicing" the dead command (I know - not the best term... but it works) as well as the restraint at home, on a daily basis, 4-5 times a day for periods of 5-15 minutes.
2. I let Mick choose where to lay down on his own today instead of flipping him to speed up the process, like I usually do.
3. When he started moaning, groaning and shaking... I pretty much completely ignored him and carried on a conversation w/the vet techs.
4. I made him wait for a command to "get up" before releasing him... usually he just bolts upright as soon as he thinks he's done.
5. I've been making him wear the muzzle at home for short periods of time during the day, since that seems to cause him a lot of anxiety at the vet.

Absolutely! You showed Mick that you were in TOTAL control of the situation...he was able to let his guard down...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 9:32 pm

On March 18 2008, 8:23 PM, iluvk9 wrote:I will continue to keep Mick in my prayers, Christine. Never give up hope or the power of positive thinking.

Nope, net ever. Remember
Faith-that Mickers is strong and knows you are doing what is best
Hope-we always have to have hope
Love-He is so full of love and love surrounds him

I have nothing but goods thoughts and prayers for you both.
I am so proud of him for today.
Start thinking hard about marinating those shoes. :mrgreen:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amazincc » March 18th, 2008, 9:43 pm

On March 18 2008, 9:32 PM, madremissy wrote:
On March 18 2008, 8:23 PM, iluvk9 wrote:I will continue to keep Mick in my prayers, Christine. Never give up hope or the power of positive thinking.

Nope, net ever. Remember
Faith-that Mickers is strong and knows you are doing what is best
Hope-we always have to have hope
Love-He is so full of love and love surrounds him

I have nothing but goods thoughts and prayers for you both.
I am so proud of him for today.
Start thinking hard about marinating those shoes. :mrgreen:

You bet... I sometimes get discouraged, but I never give up hope.
And if love could cure... Mick would've been "healed" the day he was diagnosed - that's how awesome you guys have been. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » March 18th, 2008, 10:45 pm

I'm so glad to hear he did so well today. All of your work is really paying off in reducing his anxiety about the treatments.

We will keep nothing but good thoughts and prayers for the Mickey boy!
airwalk
I live here

Postby gayrghts » March 18th, 2008, 11:30 pm

On March 18 2008, 8:19 PM, amazincc wrote:What did I do differently...

He also wagged his tail a tiny bit when Dr. Correa examined him... usually it's tucked way under his belly. I wouldn't say they are friends, but he tolerated it better than he ever has before.

Yeah, the needle aspiration is like a biopsy... they examine whatever fluid/stuff they find.

WTG Christine... the hard work and practice has been paying off... plus taking charge, and letting him know that you were in control...

btw wonder if he's getting ready to give her a big slurp by the end of the tx's?
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby amazincc » March 18th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Hmmm... Heather... I doubt that... lol

This is how it went...

Dr.:" Do you think Mick will let me examine him today?"
Me:" We can try..."

She's feeling his nodes, touching here and there...

Dr.:" Wow... he is being really good about it today!"
Me:" I know! Even though I don't think he'll ever be your best friend... but at least he's not going crazy..."
Dr.:" Well... he doesn't WANT or NEED a best friend... he already has you!"

Mick wags his tail...

Talk about perfect timing. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 11:48 pm

So sweet.
madremissy

Postby gayrghts » March 18th, 2008, 11:50 pm

On March 18 2008, 10:42 PM, amazincc wrote:Hmmm... Heather... I doubt that... lol

This is how it went...

Dr.:" Do you think Mick will let me examine him today?"
Me:" We can try..."

She's feeling his nodes, touching here and there...

Dr.:" Wow... he is being really good about it today!"
Me:" I know! Even though I don't think he'll ever be your best friend... but at least he's not going crazy..."
Dr.:" Well... he doesn't WANT or NEED a best friend... he already has you!"

Mick wags his tail...

Talk about perfect timing. :wink:

nah nothing about perfect timing... he knew exactly what he was doing, and was well aware the pigs feet were in the butcher shop.... :)
honestly the Dr is right.... he doesnt need another bbf, he's got one awesome one.... well maybe more than one if you count Inara...
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 19th, 2008, 12:04 am

I'm so glad to hear Mick did well today, but sorry about the possible mass. I'm keeping you both in my thoughts!

I'm around if you need an ear!

Love,
Dee & Kate
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TinaMartin » March 19th, 2008, 8:02 am

Gator and I are thinking extra good thoughts for you!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amazincc » March 19th, 2008, 8:46 am

Thanks... we have an appointment at 10 this morning. :neutral:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 19th, 2008, 4:46 pm

How'd it go?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » March 19th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Just checking in. Been thinking about yall all day.
madremissy

Postby amazincc » March 19th, 2008, 7:35 pm

I didn't take him.

The estimate for all the tests and procedures is insane and he needs chemo for the next three weeks.
I'm going to keep an eye on his breathing/coughing and if it gets worse or starts to really bother him I'll decide what to do next.

Today we found a lake and I let him go swimming, roll in the grass... and just have a good time.

We are both tired of cancer.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer