Christine & Mick

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby hey21jude » March 4th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Good luck to you and Mick today!! :greenWave:
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby airwalk » March 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Good calming thoughts coming your way today!
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » March 4th, 2008, 11:20 pm

Argh! Today was horrible... :cry:

First off... we had a different room. Mick was super-anxious and started hyperventilating before the techs even came into the room. They wanted to do an EKG, and when one of the nurses came in the room Mick literally tried to climb up on me to get away from her... he dug his nails into my arms so hard that I was bleeding. He also peed all over... and he NEVER does that.
The techs called Dr. Correa and she decided not to go ahead w/the Adriamycin... she said that Micks anxiety alone could cause him to have a very bad reaction... plus, he was in no state to lay down for 15 minutes and get the injection.
We discussed options...
Dr. Correa said she was inclined to start him on oral meds and stop the injections altogether, but that means that we have no treatment options left when Mick comes out of remission. So, I told her I didn't want to do that... she then suggested coming back next week to try the Adriamycin, but neither of us really believed that he would be more cooperative.

His behavior really had me stumped... until one of the techs told us that a dog had died in the room we were in, just this morning. :shock:

We switched rooms...
Mick calmed down a little, and Dr. Correa decided to treat him with a drug called Methotrexate... she uses it in place of the Adria when a dog has an adverse reaction, and it's a quick injection.
Mick cried and moaned a lot, but held still long enough for the shot and the follow-up blood work.

When he was done Caroline took him outside immediately and he puked all over... and then started howling because I was still in the office, waiting to pay for our visit.
The minute I came outside he did a happy dance... then grabbed a leaf... and RAN for the car.

So, after all this I really question my decision/choice for chemo therapy... I hate how terrified Mick becomes at the vet... but I also want him to live as long as possible, and chemo IS his best shot.
On the other hand... I don't want to be one of those selfish owners who subject their dogs to God-knows-what, just to keep them around a little longer.
I have two weeks to think about it... and if we continue w/chemo we have eight weeks left to go. :neutral:

One thing is for sure though... my boy is very forgiving. Come hell or high water - I get my leaf each Tuesday, regardless of what he was subjected to. :)

Crap... what should I do???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » March 5th, 2008, 2:14 am

Mick is so sensitive to things... he may well have been reacting to several things....

the death earlier in the day... in that room...

the fact that it was a different room...

throwing him off by wanting to do an ekg...

so many different things were happening.

Christine... its totally up to you... you are the one going thru with it... and you know that i'll support you no matter what your choice is....

but since you asked for opinions
i'd say.... he's half way done... keep on keeping on, if its possible....

most weeks have been manageable...

this week... not so much... but look at this as a speedbump in the road... not as a giant pothole....

any idea if the vomiting after was due to stress or due to the methotrexate?

I'm sorry to hear it was a rough day.... I'm wondering if for the next time... if you decide to keep on, if you or Caroline go in first... ahead of Mick, and check out the situation... see if you're in the "good room"
ask if anything has happened in there.... ie bad dog struggle, death etc..... in last 24 - 48 hrs....

Find out ahead of time if they are wanting to do anything unusual, ie ekg...

if yes... see if it can be done a different day...

for example go back on friday for ekg, or even the next day....

then you and Caroline woudl be prepared for the visit and you could even tell Mick that it was going to be different.... etc.

I think our dogs understand, even if its not every word....

also have you done any happy visits... ie just dropping in... the waiting area.... having a treat and leaving? do you think that would help, or would stress him out more often?
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby TinaMartin » March 5th, 2008, 8:46 am

I'm so sorry you guys had a bad day. I would second the thought that it might have been the room. He was in a different place and a dog died in there. Dogs are usually very sensitive to their environment, and I think Mick is a very sensitive guy. The decision is yours but I think with all the changes he was having a bad day. :cry: If you decide to continue treatment I would request that he get his usual room to minimize stress and also take him there for treat visits as well so its not all stressful. Good Luck with your handsome mush!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 5th, 2008, 10:04 am

Oh Christine that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it was a cruddy visit. But he's done so well for the majority of his other visits that I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. He's a boy of habit, and something as simple as being in a different room could have totally thrown him off. I say try again next week, and if he's still freaked out, maybe then think about the oral meds. He's only had a couple bad visits so far, right? And he bounces back very quickly, from the sounds of it. Perhaps if he stayed freaked out for hours afterward, that would be different. You'll make the right choice, whatever it is. :)

Give him some butt scritches from me and Inara.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » March 5th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Christine, you know I'll support whatever decision you make, but I agree with everyone else. You're almost there. I would talk with the vet about trying to make sure you get the same room everytime so that is one less thing for Mick to become anxious about.

I wonder if the possibility of doing a treat visit might be in the works. If some of his visit were simply for treats and scritches maybe he would be less anxious everytime he arrives???

You know I'll support whatever you decide.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Scout » March 5th, 2008, 3:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear this visit wasn't so good. :hug3:

I agree with everyone else. You are half way there, and if you think Mick and yourself can pull through it, then we are all here rooting for you guys. Everyone here is rooting for you guys and no matter what decision you make we will all be right behind you, supporting you. We all know you are doing what is best for Mickey.
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby iluvk9 » March 5th, 2008, 7:03 pm

:groupHug:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » March 5th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Poor Mick. :( Is he feeling ok now?

I agree with what everyone else has said and really hope you can finish the chemo. It's SO worth it, Christine.
I know how tough it is when you aren't sure you're doing the best thing for your dog. I was at that point with Kate, as you know, but I'm so glad I continued with treatment.

Sending lots of love & hugs to you both!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby blabsforbullies » March 5th, 2008, 7:32 pm

I know I am new to this forum, and I don't know all the history the two of you have, but I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. :hug3: It cannot be easy to do what you have done so far, and to continue sounds very difficult right now. But, the benefits are SO magnificent if he continues to do well. All the quality time that you can give him is ahead of you. And it seems like an eternity away from where you are now, but it is within your reach. :heartbeat:

Only you know what is best for you and for Mick. And I, along with so many people, will support you 150% with your decision. :groupHug: So many others wouldn't have even considered doing all that you have for him. He is SO fortunate to have you, and he knows that his fate is always left best in your hands. :highfive:

Thinking of you. :goodthoughts:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » March 5th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Thanks, you guys... I know I can always count on a Pep Talk from all of you. :)

I talked to Dr. Correa a little while ago, and we decided to continue chemo, but substitute the Methotrexate for the Adriamycin. This way all the injections - and visits - are short, and I think Mick will be able to cope better.
We also discussed bringing him in on his days off, just to visit and feed some treats... but we both agree that it probably won't make a difference and will stress him out anyway, so I decided to drop the idea.

It is true - chemo will buy us quality time and I know the benefits are HUGE... sometimes I have a hard time remembering that when I see Mick getting SO desperate and scared that he doesn't even hear me. :neutral:

I have already screwed up plenty... and I don't want to make the rest of his time w/me a miserable experience... but - we DO only have eight treatments left, and we DID get through half of them in one piece, more or less... I guess we'll suck it up and plow through the rest without batting an eye.

Someone feel free to kick me next time I have one of my "attacks". :oops: :mrgreen:

Thanks, PBT. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » March 5th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Christine, you have not screwed up....

Mick's time... other than the vet visits is wonderful with you.... if given a choice he'd not trade it for ANYTHING....

he adores you, and is a very happy boy as we all know....

You didn't have an attack... you were frustrated, and asked for input... you got it... listened, checked things out with the vet, and moved on.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 12th, 2008, 10:14 pm

How is Mick feeling, Christine? It's nice to have a week off, isn't it?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby gayrghts » March 17th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Good thoughts for you and Mick on Tuesday, Christine :)

Calming thoughts.... please post when you can and let us know how it went.... :)
Heather

- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby airwalk » March 17th, 2008, 11:53 pm

I'll start sending calming thoughts tonight so they will be a huge store up of them for tomorrow for Mick to draw from..Good Luck
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 18th, 2008, 6:08 am

Good thoughts from Kato & me too!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TinaMartin » March 18th, 2008, 8:29 am

Gator sends good boy butt wags and puppy smooches
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 10:52 am

Will be thinking about you and Mick for today's visit. Good, calm thoughts coming your way.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Beth » March 18th, 2008, 6:49 pm

hmmmmmmm...hmmmmmmm...hmmmmmmm
That's me and the entire crew sending calming thoughts down to you guys, Christine and Mick.
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer