Lymph nodes...

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2008, 12:30 am

holy crap...

please let us know how it goes!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 2nd, 2008, 2:00 am

oh wow, I'm hoping for something simple, Christine and Mick!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 2nd, 2008, 6:02 am

So... two ER vets and six hours later... I still don't have any idea what's wrong... :x

I gave Mick two Benedryl (50 mg) and we raced to the first ER... his breathing did get better on the way there, but as soon as we went inside the clinic he started hyperventilating (probably due to anxiety), and I dragged him off to a quiet corner so he could calm down.
Paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork followed... then we waited.
Finally we saw a nurse who took his history... then we waited.
30 minutes later we saw the vet assistant, who peeked at him from behind the chairs in the waiting room, assured me that we'll be seen soon... then we waited.
The vet tech had me put Mick on the scale, and I weighted him THREE times to be sure - he weights 74 pounds!!! - then we waited.
Finally the vet came out, informed me that Mick will have to be sedated (DUH!) and that they will prepare an estimate for me... then we waited.
Vet comes out again, asked me what kind of sedative Mick should get - I suggested a fast-acting horse tranquilizer - and said that they're almost done w/my estimate... then we waited.
We were allowed to go into an exam room... and wait some more.
Vet tech poked her head in again and informed us that now they are expecting three cats who were attacked by a racoon, and that Mick will be seen after the cats are taken care off. :o
My daughter asked if Mickey wasn't considered an "emergency" and she answered, yes, he most definitely was, but the cats might be injured badly and would have to be seen first. But - yahoo!!! - my estimate is just about ready! :shock: :shock: :shock:
At that point we had been there for about two hours, and I was so pissed off that a horse tranquilizer for ME was probably a good idea..
We stuck around for another 15 minutes and I decided to leave. The receptionist followed us out in the parking lot and asked for $85.00 for our "visit" at which point I was ready to mow her down w/my daughters car... I didn't pay and I don't plan on it, though she promised to send a bill in the mail.

ER #2... my daughter went inside to explain our situation and the attending vet came out to the parking lot to speak to me. I went through the whole scenario again while Mick was semi-"passed out" in the back seat and didn't even attempt to act like a fool. The vet suggested, and administered, an injection of Depo-Medrol to keep him as stable as possible (w/his breathing) and told us that he was pretty certain that Mick was NOT having an allergic reaction to anything (no welts, no hives, etc.), and he also felt that he wouldn't be able to have any conclusive results before our regular vet is open in the morning. He didn't want to put the dog through sedation and blood tests just to have our vet do the same again later on today and thought that Mickey would be okay 'til then. The ER vet definitely thinks something major is going on (he mentioned abcess, infection or possibly Lymphoma) but he also said that I would probably pay double for every test he'd run tonight - and we'd have to see our vet for a follow-up visit in the morning anyway.
He didn't charge us for the "visit" or the shot.

So we went back home and I'm just sick to my stomach now... between the weight gain and the other crap... Mick is just happy to be back home and found a warm spot under my blanket on my bed. Bless his heart - he was very well behaved, considering.

The swelling hasn't gone down at all, and I can't remove his collar... but the Benedryl has at least knocked him out. Earlier his eyes were like slits and really blood-shot, and when he did open them they looked sort of "droopy" and like they were rolling back in his head.
Now I'm waiting for 8 AM to bring him in... wish us luck...
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » January 2nd, 2008, 6:22 am

On January 02 2008, 5:02 AM, amazincc wrote:
ER #2... my daughter went inside to explain our situation and the attending vet came out to the parking lot to speak to me. I went through the whole scenario again while Mick was semi-"passed out" in the back seat and didn't even attempt to act like a fool. The vet suggested, and administered, an injection of Depo-Medrol to keep him as stable as possible (w/his breathing) and told us that he was pretty certain that Mick was NOT having an allergic reaction to anything (no welts, no hives, etc.), and he also felt that he wouldn't be able to have any conclusive results before our regular vet is open in the morning. He didn't want to put the dog through sedation and blood tests just to have our vet do the same again later on today and thought that Mickey would be okay 'til then. The ER vet definitely thinks something major is going on (he mentioned abcess, infection or possibly Lymphoma) but he also said that I would probably pay double for every test he'd run tonight - and we'd have to see our vet for a follow-up visit in the morning anyway.
He didn't charge us for the "visit" or the shot.

So we went back home and I'm just sick to my stomach now... between the weight gain and the other crap... Mick is just happy to be back home and found a warm spot under my blanket on my bed. Bless his heart - he was very well behaved, considering.

The swelling hasn't gone down at all, and I can't remove his collar... but the Benedryl has at least knocked him out. Earlier his eyes were like slits and really blood-shot, and when he did open them they looked sort of "droopy" and like they were rolling back in his head.
Now I'm waiting for 8 AM to bring him in... wish us luck...

Try to relax.... Mick will feed off your anxiety and upset....
This may well be something that just an antibiotic will cover...
The 2nd vet sounded MUCH BETTER than the first place.... omg... and an ER vet that will tell you to wait a few hours because we don't want to do double and put the dog thru it... is fantastic...

Esp after giving him a shot... and coming out to see him... :)

Keep that er vet directions...

I'll keep you and Mick in my prayers... hang in there.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby amazincc » January 2nd, 2008, 6:32 am

I know... the second guy was fantastic... AND "easy on the eyes"... :D
And gave Mick his shot in the car... I was totally impressed and very grateful!

I hope that an antibiotic will be the answer... I'm totally useless when it comes to being composed when this dog is sick...
I did much better when my kids broke, sprained or bloodied something when they were small... :oops:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » January 2nd, 2008, 6:57 am

I've got everything crossed here. *hugs*

Good luck at the vet!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2008, 7:06 am

My friend, Gerda's Pit Bull had the same gigantic lumps, "all of a sudden". Turned out to be some sort of inner ear infection. Her Vet said it came on too suddenly and too large to be lymphoma.

I went through lymphoma with Carlos Garcia and it was a slower growing of the nodes.

Darlene has exaggerated nodes. I am always squishing them to see if they have grown. She had blood tests a long while back and she is fine, but when she gets tired or sick they seem to get a little bigger.

I am sure you are a mess this morning, so here is your hug:

:groupHug:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » January 2nd, 2008, 8:08 am

Oh, Christine, I really do hope it's something simple that can be taken care of easily....

But Heather is right...you need to try to stay calm for Mick. You dont want him feeding off of your emotions...

PLEASE update us AS SOON AS you get done with the vet...

Oh, and btw, the 2nd vet sounds great!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ellie@ny » January 2nd, 2008, 8:42 am

Oh Christine!
I just saw this post,I hope he'll be alright,he has to!!! :)
Please let us know when you know something new!!!
Fingers crossed!!!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 2nd, 2008, 9:01 am

Big hugs to you and Mick, Christine! :hug3:

Sending good thoughts and prayers.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 2nd, 2008, 9:44 am

Christine I just got to work and read this! How is Mickey this morning??? I'm assuming you're at the vet now. I'm gonna be constantly checking on here for the GOOD update about Mick. Fingers and toes and eyes crossed for you. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 2nd, 2008, 10:54 am

Oh no...that's not what I wanted to see...but at least the second vet was much better.

I'm hoping to see an update soon...as I assume you're at the vet now...

:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby luvmypitties » January 2nd, 2008, 11:47 am

Christine I am so sorry!! I hope everything is going well at the vet! Everyone is keeping their fingers, amrs, legs, toes, eyes and whatever else we can creatively cross for you and Mick!!

And sorry about your ordeal at the e-vets office. They can be ridiculous sometimes!!

And a little FYI- dogs and people have lymphnodes all over their bodies. Another place to find dogdie lymphnodes is on their back legs down by the hocks. They also have them behind their front legs kind of in their 'arm pits'. I cant remember the other places but if something is wrong with the lymphnodes those are good easy places to look. In the neck you have trouble confusing it with something else as well.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 2nd, 2008, 12:36 pm

I just spoke w/Christine. She asked me to post for her as she isn't up to it right now. The vet is 99% positive that Mick has Lymphoma, and that it's pretty bad. They're seeing an oncologist today at 2:20 because his nodes are so swollen that he has a hard time breathing. He will start chemo today, but his prognosis isn't good.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep Christine and Mick in your thoughts and prayers right now. As soon as I hear more, or if Christine feels up to it, once of us will post more.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » January 2nd, 2008, 12:39 pm

OH NO!!!! I am definitely keeping her and Mick in my thoughts and prayers...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » January 2nd, 2008, 12:45 pm

Oh man! They are in my thoughts! Poor Mick! Poor Christine!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Jenn » January 2nd, 2008, 12:57 pm

:( Oh I'm so sorry guys, your in my thoughts. :hug3: Get well soon Mick!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 2nd, 2008, 12:57 pm

can you treat with chemo if you arent 100% sure its cancer?

Im so sorry, Christine! I will be thinking of you and Mick today *hugs*
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby msvette2u » January 2nd, 2008, 12:58 pm

OMG NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » January 2nd, 2008, 1:03 pm

Oh, no. :cry1:

Christine, you know we're all here for you -- if you need ANYTHING, let us know! :groupHug:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer