Homeowner Ins Co's that Accept Pit Bulls

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby Maryellen » January 9th, 2006, 10:36 am

In New Jersey:

State Farm, NJ Manufacturers

For anywhere in the US, this company will also write homeowners and pit bull rescues:

http://www.primeis.com
Salt Lake City
Phone: 877-243-8181
Fax: 877-452-6910
Chicago
Phone: 800-456-4576
Fax: 888-408-8081
Email: quotes@primeis.com
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » January 10th, 2006, 7:32 pm

State Farm will also insure all breeds for homeowner's policies in CT.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » January 10th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Marinepits wrote:State Farm will also insure all breeds for homeowner's policies in CT.

Same in NY. It is company policy to not breed discriminate.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » January 10th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Massachusetts Fair Plan, for Mass. residents.
a-bull
I live here

Postby BullyVW » January 10th, 2006, 10:37 pm

Erie Insurance!
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 11th, 2006, 8:56 am

mnp13 wrote:
Marinepits wrote:State Farm will also insure all breeds for homeowner's policies in CT.

Same in NY. It is company policy to not breed discriminate.

It is corporate policy but individual offices can still choose to not write you.

So if you get a no from one just go to a different one.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Hoyden » January 11th, 2006, 1:36 pm

State of Connecticut

As of October 1, 2005, an insurer can not refuse to write or re-new a homeowners, renters or liability policy based on the breed of dog you own.

AN ACT CONCERNING HOMEOWNERS AND TENANTS INSURANCE UNDERWRITING BASED ON BREED OF DOG.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2005) (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, with respect to a policy for personal risk insurance, as defined in section 38a-663 of the general statutes, delivered, issued for delivery, renewed, amended or continued in this state on or after October 1, 2005, no insurer may use the breed of dog owned by the insured as a basis for (1) establishing rates or minimum premiums under the policy, or (2) cancelling, refusing to renew or refusing to issue such policy.

(b) An insurer may establish rates or minimum premiums under such policy or cancel, refuse to renew or refuse to issue such policy on the basis of [i](1) the insurer's evaluation of the risk presented by the specific dog owned by the insured, [i/]or (2) claims history with respect to the specific dog owned by the insured. Such claims history shall be limited to claims paid because the dog has bitten or attacked a person or animal during the three-year period immediately preceding the renewal or issue date of the policy.

However, the italicized and highlighted section above does leave a loop hole for insurance agents to refuse to write a policy. There was an interesting discussion on an insurance forum about how to refuse a risk with-in the parameters of the law.

Link to CT House Bill #: 2654 http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/fc/2005HB-06543-R000253-FC.htm

This is a link to the INS Committee Hearing Transcript for 02/22/2005 in which they discuss dog bite statistics and the amount insurance companies pay out annually for bite claims. It's an interesting read if you wade through the BS. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/INSdata/chr/2005INS00222-R000930-CHR.htm[/b]
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby BullyVW » January 11th, 2006, 3:43 pm

That is true in PA as well, but I've talked to many owners that have been refused for just that. Most individuals are never aware, fully, of their rights.

Also, there have been a few instances that have channeled through my local circles regarding "false findings." In other words, they don't like you having the dog, so they find other problems with the property in order to deny coverage.
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby girlie » January 11th, 2006, 3:52 pm

I also have State Farm, but to be honest they have never asked me if i have a dog.......
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 11th, 2006, 5:52 pm

I went through twelve (yes, twelve) different insurance companies before we could buy our house four years ago! Even the insurance company I had been with for almost 20 years wouldn't insure the house~that was Travelers.

And the funny thing is, they refused us because of our 11 year old shep/husky mix, NOT the bullies. :?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Hausmommy » January 11th, 2006, 6:55 pm

State Farm in Illinois. Their only requirements here is that 1.) The dog has never bitten anyone and 2.) it is not trained for guard/attack purposes.
Hausmommy
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » January 11th, 2006, 8:18 pm

New York is in the process of making the same law....I hope it goes through.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 11th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Marinepits wrote:I went through twelve (yes, twelve) different insurance companies before we could buy our house four years ago! Even the insurance company I had been with for almost 20 years wouldn't insure the house~that was Travelers.

And the funny thing is, they refused us because of our 11 year old shep/husky mix, NOT the bullies. :?

Travelers is the company that underwrites Geico's homeowners policies, and Travelers has a loooooong list of banned breeds.

BOYCOTT GEICO!
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pibblegrl » January 13th, 2006, 12:55 pm

I was in the Marine Corps and always have used USAA...never had a problem about my dog(s)...
I still use USAA, and I've been out for 5 years. :D
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » January 25th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Liberty Mutual, and we're in Mass.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby babyreba » February 3rd, 2006, 12:41 pm

State Farm does not have breed restrictions in Maryland.

Neither does Farmers, which is what I have. They will not insure a dog that has a reported bite history, though.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 3rd, 2006, 12:44 pm

Liberty Mutual in NJ has a LONG list of banned breeds.. and if you own a "questionable breed" you must take the dog to obedience classes, and send them the copy of graduation to keep your homeowners., plus not live near a school,daycare, or any school facility. and sign an affidavit stating your dog is spayed/neutered and not trained in any bite sport... (i had Lib Mut first)
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » February 5th, 2006, 8:21 pm

I think I will switch to State Farm just to support their company for backing our dogs.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby chance's mom » February 15th, 2006, 12:53 am

we have state farm. i work for another huge insurance company, they do not cover pit bulls, wolves, etc. state farm is definately one of the few, and even some of their agents will not.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Charlene in LV » April 16th, 2006, 9:44 am

I've had State Farm for 15 years, in 3 different states, and they've never asked me about my dogs.

I read somewhere that AAA also does not discriminate. Does anyone know if that's true? I'm making a list for our website.
Charlene in LV
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Living with your Pit Bull