Toy Reviews

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 16th, 2008, 9:03 pm

:giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby DropkickPA » June 17th, 2008, 10:29 am

furever_pit wrote:He also loves his Cuz. However, it annoys me so he only gets it for very limited periods of time and usually only to fetch with, not to chew on and squeak constantly.

A screwdriver inserted in the squeak hole and a hammer took care of the squeak for us! Since Agatha's toy time is under supervision only, if she ever manages to get into cuz's body I'll be able to take it away. She still loves her Cuz very much, squeaking (actually, sounded more like a honk to me) or not.
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby furever_pit » June 17th, 2008, 5:51 pm

DropkickPA wrote:
furever_pit wrote:He also loves his Cuz. However, it annoys me so he only gets it for very limited periods of time and usually only to fetch with, not to chew on and squeak constantly.

A screwdriver inserted in the squeak hole and a hammer took care of the squeak for us! Since Agatha's toy time is under supervision only, if she ever manages to get into cuz's body I'll be able to take it away. She still loves her Cuz very much, squeaking (actually, sounded more like a honk to me) or not.

I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, Dylan has no interest in chewing on anything that he can't eat or that doesn't make some kind of noise. He's kind of a weirdo in that way. He'd rather lay and do nothing than chew on something.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby LaylaWoobie » June 20th, 2008, 9:59 am

Big thumbs down to the Kong Stuff-A-Ball.

I had an extra large one that I gave to Layla last night because she had adjusted so well to the move and thought it would be nice for her to have a little treat and new toy. I put half of a biscuit in the end (we dont do treats, so this was extra special for her) and she ran off like a fat kid in a candy store.

She chewed on the end of the treat and apparently the rest of the bone fell into the hole in the middle of the ball. Well, after about 5 minutes of trying to get it out, Layla had just about enough of that. Apparently, it's much easier just to rip the top half of the entire toy off and get the treat out that way. We now have a topless stuff-a-ball that can no longer be stuffed.

It lasted no longer than 10 minutes, MAX, and is not durable at all. And yes, she did get the treat out. :nono:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby furever_pit » June 20th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Dylan loves this thing. It's a JW toy and can be found at PetSmart....and probably a bunch of other places as well. I believe it's the same company that makes the Cuz.

Anyway, GREAT toy! Dylan doesn't chew on this toy but it is one of his favorite zoomie accessories. When he gets it he runs around the house and shakes his head like a madman. Very sturdy. After very rough play there are no signs of tearing or anything and no pieces have been pulled off.

Honestly, I like pretty much everything this company makes. Dylan also has a woman (like on the restroom door) that he likes to carry around the house.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2008, 12:15 am

Two new toys I just found...(I don't own them, I just saw them for the first time online tonight...)

Tux
Meet Tux™. It's like a dog's chance to get his cake and eat it too! Tux is the perfect combination of a supremely stuffable / tossable dog treat toy and guaranteed-tough Zogoflex®.

Just like our other Zogoflex toys, Tux is pliable, bounces, nontoxic, recyclable, and buoyant. Simply stuff your dog's favorite treat into the cavity of Tux and let 'er rip. Tux is even dishwasher safe for easy cleaning! Tux is a treat toy and was designed to withstand chewing, but still be fun - with or without a treat!

http://www.westpawdesign.com/product_ca ... ts/348-tux

This next one seems really cool...I'll wait until one shows up in a flyball raffle though! ;)
Bottle Tracker

The Bottle Tracker Toy can be used for retrieving, scent recognition, search & rescue training, and contra-band training. It also makes an enthralling and interactive toy.

Fill a basic plastic bottle, which acts as a barrier between the scent and the toys’ inner surface, with training treats, ice, or scenting materials and add a few holes for the scent to escape. Made from tough, pre-consumer recycled fire hose material, this toy has a Velcro sealed compartment for enclosing the bottle and a sewn in loop for tugging.

* Land
* Water
* Snow
* Tough Fire Hose from Pre-consumer Recycled Materials
* Durable, But Not Indestructible
* Safe and Strong Construction
* Machine Wash & Air Dry
* Vibrant colors for easy recognition
* It is not intended as a water toy, but it will float.
* All Katie's Bumpers are intended as interactive play toys. They are not intended as chew toys. Best if used outdoors or on washable surfaces.

http://www.katiesbumpers.com/Cart/shope ... d=70&bc=no
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » July 8th, 2008, 10:25 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Something I do not recommend...

Dogzilla by Booda/Aspenpet
http://www.aspenpet.com/dogProducts.cfm ... e=Dogzilla

Here's the one we have
http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Booda-Dogzi ... ll-Dog-Toy

I got one cheap at Ollie's...thinking it would be like a Kong. But it's supposed to have a scent embedded in the rubber too. The dogs paid attention to it for like 5 seconds. It's hard, hard rubber...I haven't tried to stuff it yet, but it looks difficult to do. :shock: Not impressed so far. I'll try and stuff it soon, and see if it's better received by the gang.

I have to say, it's rather nice, when it's stuffed...it's not a bad toy. Seems harder than the Kong...not as much "give" to the rubber. None of mine are hard-core chewers, so I can't say whether it would hold up better or not :| ...but I am changing my original review of it. ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby BritneyP » July 8th, 2008, 6:23 pm

I like just about all Planet Dog toys I've come across...

the dogs like em' okay too! :wink:

http://www.planetdog.com
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 8th, 2008, 6:29 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Two new toys I just found...(I don't own them, I just saw them for the first time online tonight...)

Tux
Meet Tux™. It's like a dog's chance to get his cake and eat it too! Tux is the perfect combination of a supremely stuffable / tossable dog treat toy and guaranteed-tough Zogoflex®.

Just like our other Zogoflex toys, Tux is pliable, bounces, nontoxic, recyclable, and buoyant. Simply stuff your dog's favorite treat into the cavity of Tux and let 'er rip. Tux is even dishwasher safe for easy cleaning! Tux is a treat toy and was designed to withstand chewing, but still be fun - with or without a treat!

http://www.westpawdesign.com/product_ca ... ts/348-tux

This next one seems really cool...I'll wait until one shows up in a flyball raffle though! ;)
Bottle Tracker

The Bottle Tracker Toy can be used for retrieving, scent recognition, search & rescue training, and contra-band training. It also makes an enthralling and interactive toy.

Fill a basic plastic bottle, which acts as a barrier between the scent and the toys’ inner surface, with training treats, ice, or scenting materials and add a few holes for the scent to escape. Made from tough, pre-consumer recycled fire hose material, this toy has a Velcro sealed compartment for enclosing the bottle and a sewn in loop for tugging.

* Land
* Water
* Snow
* Tough Fire Hose from Pre-consumer Recycled Materials
* Durable, But Not Indestructible
* Safe and Strong Construction
* Machine Wash & Air Dry
* Vibrant colors for easy recognition
* It is not intended as a water toy, but it will float.
* All Katie's Bumpers are intended as interactive play toys. They are not intended as chew toys. Best if used outdoors or on washable surfaces.

http://www.katiesbumpers.com/Cart/shope ... d=70&bc=no

For the bottle tracker toy...you can use PVC pipe, capped on both ends for the scent. simply drill holes in the side. I've found that PVC holds up better than plastic bottles for this. For scentwork, however, if you're training a specific scent (like drugs or any other specific scent other than YOUR scent), you want to boil the PVC (gets all trace scents off of it) and use rubber gloves to "stuff" it...this is so you don't contaminate the scent...

Also, the PVC, by itself is a great toy, and I've used it to train the retrieve...and dog's really don't chew through it!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby furever_pit » July 8th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Tug-a-Jug

Just got this today. Fed Dylan his meal in it. Great toy!! It's harder for him to get stuff out of than his Kong cause he has to work the rope right in order for anything to come out. Probably took him an hour to eat dinner. Seems like it'll be a good hide and seek toy too. They don't have the regular ropes anymore...now it's similar to a Kong but more bendable if that makes sense. The entire thing stood up well tonight, I was kinda surprised because Dylan was trying to break the jug by chewing on it.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Cool Kong

We LIKE it! :clap:
Very sturdy, floats, stands up to lots of tugging and teeth flossing.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 8th, 2008, 11:29 pm

amazincc wrote:Cool Kong

We LIKE it! :clap:
Very sturdy, floats, stands up to lots of tugging and teeth flossing.

Ummmm...wasn't that supposed to go to your Secret Santa? :smileUp:

TheRedQueen

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 8th, 2008, 11:30 pm

LMAO I was just thinking that...
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2008, 11:42 pm

I do not know what you speak of... secret santa, secret schmanta... :oops: :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 8th, 2008, 11:58 pm

amazincc wrote:I do not know what you speak of... secret santa, secret schmanta... :oops: :|

Well, I'll be the first to explain the situation when someone gets a can of pork and beans from you instead... :dance:

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » July 9th, 2008, 12:08 am

lol
No, I actually did get that for Mick, since we have to combat the fluffyness in a constructive manner. The firehose toy from the top of the TV was for our SS though... one pair of gently-used undies coming to a town near you instead. :D :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 9th, 2008, 1:08 am

amazincc wrote:one pair of gently-used undies coming to a town near you instead. :D :wink:

Poor, poor Katrina... :lookaround:

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » July 9th, 2008, 1:52 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
amazincc wrote:one pair of gently-used undies coming to a town near you instead. :D :wink:

?????

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » July 9th, 2008, 2:04 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:

Well, you're the one person that springs to mind in a town near me... :|

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » July 9th, 2008, 2:05 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
Well, you're the one person that springs to mind in a town near me... :|

Huh? I'm still confused...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy