Toy Reviews

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby TheRedQueen » July 26th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Got a Bob-A-Lot today...found it on super sale (50% off)...it's on its first test run with The Wiener tonight. It's hard to fill...and is similar to the Wobbler.

We'll see how well it works.

http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/product/ ... A-Lot.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Tubular Toby » July 26th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I almost got one of those for Toby back when I was buying his Wobbler. But he could actually fit the yellow part in his mouth and chew on it, whereas he can't do that with the Wobbler. Let me know how it works out though, I've always been curious about them. =)
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 27th, 2011, 10:33 am

Yes, the yellow top can be put in a mouth...so it won't go to my chewers (fosters/boarders). I think for dogs that "get" the concept...like Score, he won't chew on it...he knows to whack it around to get stuff out.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby TinaMartin » July 28th, 2011, 9:11 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Got a Bob-A-Lot today...found it on super sale (50% off)...it's on its first test run with The Wiener tonight. It's hard to fill...and is similar to the Wobbler.

We'll see how well it works.

http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/product/ ... A-Lot.html

I got one of these for Sorsha and she likes to take the top off.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby furever_pit » July 29th, 2011, 2:55 am

I forgot about this thread. See a few things I'd like to pick up for my crew.

Everlasting Fun Ball on a Rope:
With the exception of Dylan, my dogs go INSANE for these balls. I think they like them because the balls give when they bite down on them, unlike some of my other balls on a rope. I like them cause they are hard to find in good grass so fetch can easily double as a hunt game. Probably not going to be the most durable toy out there, but I don't leave them with the dogs so I haven't had any problems.
http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/product/ ... -Rope.html

Bumpers:
Cheap, fun to play with, and tons of variety available. Again, I don't let the dogs just keep these and chew on them but they hold up well even when I'm working 15+ dogs a day. Different colors make it easier/harder for the dog to see them so you can up the hunt difficulty level. Plus, they float.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dummies.htm ... 6wod1XloVg
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amalie79 » August 10th, 2011, 11:16 am

Starmark's Everlasting Treat Ball might be my new favorite toy. Since we had a tree fall over onto some power lines, catch fire, and take out the power while we were gone, River's been upset by storms and sirens. She got worked up this morning around 5am. If I give her a leo or regular kong, she chews at it and then starts slinging it around and waking everyone up again. Plus, they don't last all that long.

I had picked up one of these treat balls yesterday for Luna to have in her crate at bed time. I gave it to River and she was gnawing on it for easily 30 minutes or more before I was awake enough to swap it out with a kong. She made a dent, but certainly hadn't finished it. Plus, PetSmart has them on sale-- size large-- for $13.50. If I buy them anywhere else, they're almost $23-$30, and even ordering them from Entirely Pets they'd be $21. I might have to go buy some more.

AND! The treat it comes with is full of a lot of crappy fillers, but they make refill treats that are corn/wheat/soy free. And even without the expensive refill, they have little X-shaped holes to turn it into a regular rubber treat ball. :)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2750985
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby copperlegend » August 10th, 2011, 7:45 pm

The Everlasting Treat Ball is without a doubt the only toy/treat dispenser that has put up with Kia's abuse. She's chewed through the big black Kong's in a couple days, but this thing will.not.die! I shove all sorts of oddly shaped treats in there (venison jerky, small and large biscuits, diced Natural Balance roll) and it seems to be the only thing that keeps her busy for a good solid hour. When the treats are gone, it's her favorite toy to just carry around the house.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amalie79 » August 10th, 2011, 8:43 pm

We also have the Starmark "Fun Ball"-- it's basically just a hollow ball made of the same rubber as the treat ball-- I put duck jerky in it and biscuits... I had to take it away for a while because River was becoming unhealthily obsessed with it. But that thing is DURABLE, so I have high hopes for this one-- and as a bonus, River can't just crush things inside the large.

I'm going on my lunch hour tomorrow to get more. :D

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » August 11th, 2011, 1:39 pm

I've always wanted an everlasting treat ball for Toby, but wasn't sure on how it would hold up... I may have to at least give it a try now.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TinaMartin » August 11th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Sorsha power chews hers and it is just starting to show serious wear in a few places.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » August 12th, 2011, 9:20 am

Score just pops the "everlasting" treat out of the ball, and eats them. They last **maybe** five minutes for him. I gave up on buying them after that...it's just too expensive for him to have a few moments of chew time. The Kong Genius Leo is the only thing he can't pop stuff out of...(he's not a destroyer of toys, he just applies jaw pressure to grind up treats inside)

Fig had one that lasted, but he can't have the treats now due to allergies.

TheRedQueen

Postby TinaMartin » August 12th, 2011, 9:45 am

I dont use the end treats either Erin for the same reason but she loves to crunch up the ones I put inside. I usually put dried pork pieces in so they dont crunch fast like a cookie and I can wedge them.
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amalie79 » August 12th, 2011, 4:11 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Score just pops the "everlasting" treat out of the ball, and eats them. They last **maybe** five minutes for him. I gave up on buying them after that...it's just too expensive for him to have a few moments of chew time. The Kong Genius Leo is the only thing he can't pop stuff out of...(he's not a destroyer of toys, he just applies jaw pressure to grind up treats inside)

Oh, I'll be buying more leos-- River's crushed hers so many times it has huge cracks in it. We need a stockpile.

I fully expected them to pop the everlasting treat out... but they haven't yet. They just lick and gnaw. And I figured, at worst, even if they do pop them out, it's one more treat ball that's a little too big for River to just crush. For that it was worth a $13 gamble. Since the treats seem to be holding up well, though, I'll be finding a good online supplier for the wheat/soy/corn free refills, I think.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TinaMartin » August 13th, 2011, 12:14 am

amalie79 wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Score just pops the "everlasting" treat out of the ball, and eats them. They last **maybe** five minutes for him. I gave up on buying them after that...it's just too expensive for him to have a few moments of chew time. The Kong Genius Leo is the only thing he can't pop stuff out of...(he's not a destroyer of toys, he just applies jaw pressure to grind up treats inside)

Oh, I'll be buying more leos-- River's crushed hers so many times it has huge cracks in it. We need a stockpile.

I fully expected them to pop the everlasting treat out... but they haven't yet. They just lick and gnaw. And I figured, at worst, even if they do pop them out, it's one more treat ball that's a little too big for River to just crush. For that it was worth a $13 gamble. Since the treats seem to be holding up well, though, I'll be finding a good online supplier for the wheat/soy/corn free refills, I think.

They have one with a screw made out o the same thing as the end caps. Its suppose to help keep it in place.
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » September 5th, 2011, 10:12 am

I got a Dogzilla nylon Instructa-bone at Big Lots...it's like a nylabone, but it has open ends like a real marrow bone...so you could stick stuff inside. I gave it to the dogs without anything...and so far it's a hit...and they don't even like nylabones that much. Huh.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dogzilla-Nylo ... y/14711071

It was only $3 which is why I got it...I may go back and get another one...

TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » September 5th, 2011, 10:25 am

I've seen those and passed them by... might give it a shot. My guys love the Dogzilla Kong-type balls. They have some sort of chicken infusion in the rubber, plus the balls are a little easier for them. Little Luna still gets a bit frustrated/bored with a kong if it's packed too tightly.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 5th, 2011, 9:13 pm

amalie79 wrote:I've seen those and passed them by... might give it a shot. My guys love the Dogzilla Kong-type balls. They have some sort of chicken infusion in the rubber, plus the balls are a little easier for them. Little Luna still gets a bit frustrated/bored with a kong if it's packed too tightly.

The hard dogzilla bone doesn't have any scent to it, so I was surprised by that. I do like that I can stuff it...

I also got a Dogzilla treat dispenser "Steggin' Egg"...like a small Kong Wobbler. Again, I got it for $3

TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » September 5th, 2011, 10:23 pm

We've had the Steggin' Egg for a while. It's ok-- the nice thing, in theory, is that you can adjust the hole size. In reality, either the dogs manage to open it wider and empty it immediately, or they close it shut and screw themselves.

Also, River can pick it up in her mouth easily, and that was a bit of a con. All in all, though, a pretty reasonably priced knock off.

We found some knock-off Nina Ottoson puzzles at TJ Maxx for $10. Not very durable materials, but for that price, I can't complain. :)

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 5th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Yeah, the Steggin' Egg will only be used for The Wiener...it's too small for the others.

I found a dog puzzle at CVS last winter...cheaply made but cheaply priced, I used one as a gift, and kept the other one...I like stuff.

TheRedQueen

Previous

Return to Living with your Pit Bull