Goodbye, Rockstar...

Postby katiek0417 » August 15th, 2008, 5:36 am

It is with great sadness that I write this. I don't think any words can express what I'm feeling.

Yesterday, I made the very tough decision to put Rocky to sleep. :cry:

You all know the story of Rocky. How I hand-raised him from just a few days old. However something went very wrong, and rather than Greg getting his next competition dog, we got a dog that was extremely fearful, suffered from seizures, had extreme anxiety, and was simply not what most of us would consider to be "normal."

We spent the last year and a half trying to make him into a normal dog. We both spent time trying to desensitize him, using behavior modification techniques, training him...but all to no avail.

See, the main difference between Rocky and other fear aggressive dogs is that Rocky was more than willing to bite one of us if he was scared. This made so much of our interactions difficult. We had trouble taking him places because we simply never knew what would scare him. And while he never bit me, in reality, I knew the time would come.

Despite all his fearfulness, Rocky was the sweetest, loviest dog. He would come out of his crate and jump on us, and look at us with his big brown eyes. He would play with his toys ever so gently, just squeezing them and letting them squeak. When we walked by his crate, all I had to do was stick my fingers in, and he would rub his head against the crate door for some lovin! And I did, and always will, love this dog more than anything.

Several weeks ago, I made the decision that I would inevitably have to put him down. That I had done all I could for Rocky, and while Greg wanted to work with him, he simply didn't have the time. But I also knew that I wasn't ready to do it. I bought him some time by upping his dosage of Prozac to the maximum dose you can give a dog.

I did not take him to the vet yesterday with the intention of having him put to sleep. We were going in so that he could have his nails cut down really short, get a bath, and get a general exam. Greg couldn't get his muzzle on, even tried to play with him in the office to get him to calm down...he peed on the floor (lifting his leg for only the 4th time in his life). However, they eventually had to use a door to restrain him so that they could give him Telazol to knock him out. Chuck pulled the leash through the crack between the hinges, Greg used the door to keep him there, and he just screamed...then blew his anal glands...the whole time I had my back turned with tears in my eyes b/c I couldn't watch. After he fell asleep, Greg started to give him a bath, and as I watched, I just stroked Rocky's face.

I know so many people probably think I took the easy way out. That I just didn't want to deal. But anyone who really knows me knows that I did deal, and I did what I could, what I knew how to do. At the end of the day, Rocky wasn't right, and I'll never know if it was something we did or if maybe Asja started to kill her litter for a reason. And all I could do was love him, and it wasn't enough.

I felt so bad for what he had just gone through, and I realized that what I had just witnessed was the culmination of a life spent being afraid of everything. I realized that I wasn't being fair to him. That my love for him was clouding my judgment of how he really lived his life. And it was at that moment that I made the decision to set him free of those demons that were haunting him. So, I said my goodbyes. I stroked his face some more, and leaned down and kissed him, and left the room. Greg stayed with him the entire time while they did it - I couldn't be there...I simply couldn't watch it. I came home, and the first thing I thought was having to let Rocky out before he peed in his crate. I walked past his crate last night, and looked down expecting his big brown eyes to be looking back at me.

But he's not here. I don't know where he is. I don't know if I believe in the Rainbow Bridge. I just hope that wherever his soul is, he is free from fear. I gave him all my love, so I hope that was the one last thing I was able to give him.

Goodbye, my Lucky Rocky. You will forever remain in my heart. I'm sorry your life was filled with so much fear, and I hope you are finally free. RIP my baby! (1/4/07 - 8/14/08)

These were pics that I took of him last week...thank you for letting me share, and thank you to everyone on here who has given me so much support through his life and now...

"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » August 15th, 2008, 5:58 am

oh Katie, I had no idea, I'm so sorry :sad2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » August 15th, 2008, 6:39 am

I'm so sorry... and extremely sad for all of you. :sad2: :sad2:

Be at peace, boy.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 15th, 2008, 7:26 am

RIP Rocky... :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby nicole » August 15th, 2008, 8:33 am

oh no, Katrina...I'm so very sorry that you had to make this decision, your post has me in tears.

Rest in Peace, Rocky...you are free from all your demons now.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » August 15th, 2008, 9:10 am

Katrina, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your boy. I know we always second guess ourselves in these types of situations but deep in our heart, we know it was the right one.

My thoughts are with you and Greg
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby iluvk9 » August 15th, 2008, 9:14 am

My heart goes out to you and Greg. A decision like that is so difficult. If he had a chance, it would obviously be in your home.

RIP, beautiful boy.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » August 15th, 2008, 9:19 am

Katie, my heart is with you. I so admire your strength, you logic, your love for such a special dog. RIP sweet Rocky.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby call2arms » August 15th, 2008, 9:53 am

You didn't take the easy way out, you took the hard way... It"s much harder to be fair to him and let him go, than keep him alive in fear because you love him. You did the right thing, I believe.

RIP Rocky.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » August 15th, 2008, 9:56 am

My sweet Rocky man...I'm so glad we got to know each other... :cry: Such a big worried lug of a boy...you're free of what troubled you...your demons are gone.

:hug3: Hugs for you Katrina...I know how hard this must be for you right now. :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » August 15th, 2008, 10:26 am

RIP Rockstar. As hard as the decision was, I truly believe it was in his best interest. Be at peace baby boy
airwalk
I live here

Postby LMM » August 15th, 2008, 10:29 am

I am so very sorry for your loss. You did the best thing you could for Rocky. One thing you said just made my heart break:

...and I realized that what I had just witnessed was the culmination of a life spent being afraid of everything...

You did what you could for him and when it came down to it, you had a heart-wrenching decision to make. It's never easy but please know that you didn't take the easy way out :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jenn » August 15th, 2008, 10:32 am

RIP Rocky
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » August 15th, 2008, 11:26 am

call2arms wrote:You didn't take the easy way out, you took the hard way... It"s much harder to be fair to him and let him go, than keep him alive in fear because you love him. You did the right thing, I believe.

RIP Rocky.

Exactly.

RIP Rocky. *hugs*
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby CinderDee » August 15th, 2008, 11:36 am

I'm so sorry, Katrina. :cry:

RIP Rocky...
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » August 15th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Sleep well Rocky :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby muse » August 15th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Oh Katie, Im so sorry. That must have been such a hard decision to make.. :hug3:

R.I.P Rocky
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby KJS » August 15th, 2008, 2:11 pm

I understand your words and I feel what you are telling me...we live with what people would classify as an "abnormal" dog too....and I will admit we have not tried all the many, many things you have tried and we have not given it our all...we just manage her the best we can...and sometimes it is barely working out for us so I really "get" your post....Im so sorry that Rocky is gone but I truly believe that you did what was best for him and I commend your bravery on his behalf ...I can only hope that when our time comes we can be as objective for her as you were for him

be at ease with your decision

Rest easy now Rocky
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby gayrghts » August 15th, 2008, 4:30 pm

iluvk9 wrote:My heart goes out to you and Greg. A decision like that is so difficult. If he had a chance, it would obviously be in your home.
RIP, beautiful boy.

Wow Katrina, I totally understand how hard this is.... and i agree with Joyce above....

Having had a fear biter who would choose to bite someone he trusted, vs the cause of the fear.... I understand.... I also understand maintaining the dog, but then looking at his quality of life.... and his living in constant fear.

I made a similar decision based on the quality of life living in fear several years ago with a dog i'd rescued... it was not a decision i enjoyed making, but one that needed to be done.... its hard to make those decisions because like Matt said, you're always second guessing yourself but... on the other hand.... you made the decision after a long time of trying to do everything possible...

RIP Rocky, and Greg and Katrina... please know that you made the best decision you could have.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Hundilein » August 15th, 2008, 5:46 pm

:hug3: My heart goes out to you, Katrina. As others have said, don't second guess yourself. I know you had Rocky's best interests at heart. I don't know the whole story of Rocky's past, but I know from what I have heard/read that you did more for him than a lot of people could/would have. Wherever he is now, I'm sure he is free from the demons that plagued him.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Our Departed Friends