Another foster!

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby msvette2u » August 30th, 2006, 3:10 pm

We have to run to the store and pick up some ferret food!
What color is this?

Tips and hints on feeding and other care appreciated! She had a bath, and I cleaned her ears but can't tell if she has ear mites. No fleas! But the tip of her tail appears to have had an injury at some point and is gone :shock: OH and how do I sex it!?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » August 30th, 2006, 3:20 pm

:shock: I'm assuming it's a ferett? (Can't see pics till later) Good luck with that though!!

ETA: That had to be the dumbest question ever. What else would you need that food for.. :doh: :doh:
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » August 30th, 2006, 3:56 pm

aww you gotta see the pics ;) Yes it's a ferret that was apparently a STRAY :shock: She was picked up in someone's yard and the Code enforcement officer gave her to me. She has two tatoos in her ear which apparently signify she may be spayed and/or descented!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 30th, 2006, 3:57 pm

S/he is a real cutie!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » August 30th, 2006, 4:18 pm

From the way I understand it, there are two major ferret farms in the US. All ferrets leaving the properties are descented and sterilized. There are some breeders, but most ferrets you find as strays came from a farm.

I'm not sure how to sex them. Is it a baby or full grown? I've found that when they're full grown it's really easy to tell because the males are big and fat and the females are usually about half their size.

Ferrets are carnivores so they need a high protein food. I've heard some people say that they found dry cat food to be the best, others say that cat food isn't good for them. My friends who have ferrets all feed whole prey model (de-feathered frozen baby chicks).

That's about the extent of my ferret knowledge. Just remember to watch all your stuff! They like to steal :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » August 30th, 2006, 4:21 pm

She must have come from a farm, as she has the tattoos. Since she has two apparently she is spayed/descented (YAY!) Sis I was counting on your advice lol don't you have ferrets? I read a ferret page and apparently she's A GIRL! She is cute as a button and doesn't bite, I am in love :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 30th, 2006, 4:24 pm

msvette2u wrote:She must have come from a farm, as she has the tattoos. Since she has two apparently she is spayed/descented (YAY!) Sis I was counting on your advice lol don't you have ferrets? I read a ferret page and apparently she's A GIRL! She is cute as a button and doesn't bite, I am in love :)

No ferrets here actually! One of the few kinds of small animals I haven't owned at one point or another. Though my roommate did have two ferrets so I did live with them for over a year, and two of my exes each had 3 ferrets a piece, so I have a little bit of ferret experience, though am in no way a pro AT ALL!

I just know that they're adorable little trouble makers. :twisted:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » August 30th, 2006, 4:25 pm

What a FACE!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » August 30th, 2006, 4:27 pm

I just read back, I guess it is Jessie's Mom who has ferrets!
I love her little face, she is so cute. We will have to run into pet smart, 30 miles from here, to get some food for her! :shock:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » August 30th, 2006, 5:11 pm

I have some ferret experience.
We used to have them at the pet store I worked at.

They are master escape artists. Anything they can fit their head through they can probably fit the rest of their body through. They can also figure out the more simple latches, especially the latch is loose.
Ferret food is probably best, although some people feed them cat food. There are also a couple of supplements that you can get for them, wich some people swear by.
You can litter train them almost 100%. You start by putting the litter box in the corner they normally "go" in and taking a little poop and peed on litter and putting it in the box, while cleaning the rest of the cage spotless (I used to rinse real well with soap and water and then spray the whole thing with vineger, then wipe dry.)
They understand corrections, so you can scruff them if they bite. We used a flick to the underside of the chin if they bit, of course, everyone has their own methods.
They can bite VERY hard if they want, and they have pretty strong jaws.
Try to bathe with soap as little as possible, although descented they still have a very oily and smelly coat, and the more often they are bathed the more they tend to smell. Water only baths are a great alternative.

thats what I know :| :D
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » August 30th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Thanks!! She hasn't offered to bite at all (whew!) even when I cleaned out her ears, which she hated!! I think she MIGHT have ear mites but I'm going to wait and see on that. I'll run to petsmart this evening (bringing her of course!) and buy her some ferret things. I think I'd rather give her the ferret food instead of cat food - we stuck some cooked/ground chicken in there for now that I had fixed up for our kittens :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 30th, 2006, 7:51 pm

She's a cutie! What's her name?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby msvette2u » August 30th, 2006, 8:56 pm

She does not have one yet!
She seems litter trained, and we dug out the "parrot blanket" that our parrot doesn't use and hung it up in her crate and when we came home, that's where we found her! :clap:
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members