Breed guesses?

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby Violet » January 15th, 2009, 8:37 pm

This is Baby. She has already been adopted but is staying with me until her adopters get back from Hawaii. She originally was saved from a hoarder in Oregon and landed at Clackamas shelter. I fell in love with her when she arrived and managed to find her a home. But I was shocked when she arrived because this girl is TINY! barely over 23 pounds. She was listed as an Aussie lab mix at the shelter. But she is so TINY! And yes..she is full grown. Any guesses?
For size reference..that is a loveseat she is roosting on (I know..i am allowing horrible behavior..but she is still so shy I hate correcting her.)
and no..she does not have a tail
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 15th, 2009, 8:47 pm

I don't really see Aussie...maybe a smidge. But for a small dog, she's really heavy boned. Most mini-Aussies are really lacking in bone. I was gonna guess newfie-lab until I saw her size!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » January 15th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Some type of petite spaniel mix?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Border collie mix?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » January 15th, 2009, 9:09 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Some type of petite spaniel mix?

First thing I thought was spaniel mix as well.. Maybe it's the hair, and the ears :|
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby BigDogBuford » January 15th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I'm sure there's some dumb ass somewhere breeding 'miniature spaniels'. :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » January 15th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Then again, she resembles a black border collie that belonged to a family member years ago. He was pretty small, but he did have two white freckles on his nose, and a white blaze on his chest.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » January 15th, 2009, 9:33 pm

With the shape of her head, I'd say either border collie mix or flat-coat retriever mix. Her size throws me off, though.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Violet » January 15th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Those looking at her ears..let me make it a little more difficult. her ears are deformed. And I would guess probably half the size they should be. She has itty bitty, shrivelled up triangles for ears. Thats all hair.

Spaniel makes sense. She looks BC/Aussie to me (aside from ehr rather heavy boned legs) the rest of her is petite enough. And her muzzle is all wrong. But her muzzle makes sense for Lab or flat coated retreiver..until you weigh her. Newfie lab lol..she looks EXACTLY like a newfie lab..in miniature. :confused:
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 15th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Her head is way too thick and bulky for typical Aussies and BCs. Sporting dog is my guess...spaniel, golden, etc Flat coats have a slim head too.

I'll post her pic on the Aussie board and see what others have to say. We have folks that show, and know the breed inside and out. ;)

Cocker/lab...that would account for the color and fringe and docked tail (if mom was docked, pups were docked...happens often)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » January 16th, 2009, 5:43 am

what about crossed with Nova Scotian Duck Tolling retriever?

Duck tollers are usually quite small... they look like mini goldens with white, kind of...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 16th, 2009, 6:50 am

Malli wrote:what about crossed with Nova Scotian Duck Tolling retriever?

Oh, Stop making up names of dog breeds. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » January 16th, 2009, 12:35 pm

I can tell you that when we removed her from the home...these dogs had never been outside, so I can tell you what breeds we removed and she has to be some mix of those...unless there were other dogs there at some point before we came.

There was a lab mix, pointer mix and shar pei mix (all alpha males)...there were heeler mixes and somewhere in there is some wirehair. To the best of my knowledge...no spaniels or cockers...but that doesn't mean those breeds weren't there before we arrived.

edited to add...yes I know Cockers are spaniels...it's early..I was thinking more Cocker versus water spaniel types.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2009, 12:42 pm

I was gonna guess Shar Pei...due to the tiny ears (they seem to throw tiny ears even in mixes) and the big bulbous head/muzzle. From the side pic...very shar pei! There was another guess of shar pei on my Aussie board...and everyone agrees, no herding dogs in there!

I'm changing my guess to shar pei-cocker...which would work with the size, as most shar peis are quite small.

TheRedQueen

Postby SvcDogSawyer » January 16th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Wouldn't the eyes be bigger if she had cocker or other spaniel in her?

I'd also say she has some flat-coat in her.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby TinaMartin » January 16th, 2009, 2:14 pm

She looks like a flat coat mix to me too. :|
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Violet » January 16th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Malli wrote:what about crossed with Nova Scotian Duck Tolling retriever?

Duck tollers are usually quite small... they look like mini goldens with white, kind of...

you know..if she were not black and tollers were not so uncommon, I could totally get behind a mix like that. She actually does look like a little black toller.

Thanks Diana for the extra knowledge! I knew there were labs and terries, missed the shar pei mix previously. Its funny that a couple of people mentioned Shar Pei and that though never once crossed my mind looking at her.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2009, 2:41 pm

I honestly don't think that if this dog were brown or blonde or white that everyone would be guessing border collie or flat coat. There is nothing that looks like these breeds to me but the feathers and length/type of coat.

TheRedQueen

Postby Jenn » January 16th, 2009, 2:54 pm

ImageImage

I guess that's what it was for me the neck fur...
Jenn
undecided

Postby SvcDogSawyer » January 16th, 2009, 3:17 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I honestly don't think that if this dog were brown or blonde or white that everyone would be guessing border collie or flat coat. There is nothing that looks like these breeds to me but the feathers and length/type of coat.

:moon:
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Next

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members