Guess what I got?

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby iluvk9 » July 14th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Thank you again for all the kind words. :)

He seems to be a social misfit right now. :| Doesn't really know how to "be a dog". Doesn't play with toys and spends most of his day just looking at me.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 14th, 2008, 10:59 pm

Congrats...he must have known you were looking for a new project! 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2008, 11:00 pm

iluvk9 wrote:He seems to be a social misfit right now. :| Doesn't really know how to "be a dog". Doesn't play with toys and spends most of his day just looking at me.

He and the cat can just stare at you all day, plotting...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » July 14th, 2008, 11:03 pm

8) The cat is no where to be found. Astro likes cats, but Bo hasn't figured that out, I guess.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » July 14th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Actually, the cat is clawed on the ceiling, ready to plant his fingerknifes into your scalp, plotting.

Edited to add: congrats, sucker! More hair to vacuum!!! lol He's really cute...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » July 14th, 2008, 11:08 pm

call2arms wrote:Actually, the cat is clawed on the ceiling, ready to plant his fingerknifes into your scalp, plotting.

Ya know, I DID just look up..... :shock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » July 14th, 2008, 11:09 pm

:lol3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 11:17 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Thank you again for all the kind words. :)

He seems to be a social misfit right now. :| Doesn't really know how to "be a dog". Doesn't play with toys and spends most of his day just looking at me.

Your other dogs aren't really d-o-g-s. They are medium to large-sized fur people. He fits right in. :) :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » July 14th, 2008, 11:37 pm

iluvk9 wrote:

I have one here that acts just like that. lol

Congrats, Joyce & Astro! Boy, he just got the best home ever!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » July 14th, 2008, 11:43 pm

amazincc wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:Thank you again for all the kind words. :)

Your other dogs aren't really d-o-g-s. They are medium to large-sized fur people. He fits right in. :) :wink:

Except for Truman the pony. Now she just needs a herder to round him up...and she'll be set!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » July 15th, 2008, 5:30 am

SisMorphine wrote:Is that sign of shock dripping with as much sarcasm as it would be if I said it?

Yeah, I'm wondering that, too?

I don't see them all that often but man they are BAD when they are BAD! :rolleyes2:

Joycie, you have signed yourself up for a BIT more grooming then you're used to! Groom him soon or you will get mats! And there is special feet grooming that you need to do with Goldens, and thats all I know :lol3:

How sad, they were just going to euthanize him because they were divorcing? :sad2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 7:03 am

Thanks, Dee!

Mallika, it took me hours to sort of cut the lumps of matted fur from behind his ears and other assorted places. His undercoat looked like a Rastafarian. :shock:

He got snarky with me, but it was my fault. I wanted him to lie down on a certain dog bed. He was sort of on it, so I tried to re-position him and he snapped. No warning growl, just a LOT of air snapping. He got my arm, but not hard enough to leave a mark. I didn't react, but yelled "cage", which he trotted into. I left him there for a few minutes. He seems to be a bit stubborn in doing what he wants to do. Lesson learned!

He also has no hair on one of his knees and legs. Seems he had some sort of itchy infection and now there is no hair. Vet will tell me what that is all about today. Don't think it is mange. Looks more like he had a bug bite or itch and just kept biting/licking it.

I am DEFINITELY getting him groomed (maybe shaved?) this week. I can handle the hair but I need a good head start and shaving seems to be the way to go. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby nicole » July 15th, 2008, 8:30 am

maberi wrote:
iluvk9 wrote: Oh, and he ate Ol' Roy.

Well I guess he will be used to your cooking then :wink:

hee hee hee!!! :dance:

aww, Joycie, you have such a huge heart! I bet Astro will be a new dog in no time, he looks like he fits right in with your crew.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Favorite Kitty » July 15th, 2008, 8:56 am

Congrats, you two! He is cute :)

I have met a few dogs that had those bald spots on their knees from being in crates too long, Joyce. Maybe thats what it is with him. What time do you guys go today? I would love to hear how he is after a look over. I hope he just needs to be taught manners and that will take care of that snapping. Little brat!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 9:14 am

We go in at 10:45. I thought the same thing about being crated, Tamara...but then my Vet always tells me to stop pretending to be a Vet. :rolleyes2: I posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24891
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » July 15th, 2008, 9:16 am

iluvk9 wrote:I am DEFINITELY getting him groomed (maybe shaved?) this week. I can handle the hair but I need a good head start and shaving seems to be the way to go. :|

My advice is to get a nice short trim but don't have him shaved. When you shave a double coated breed they have a difficult time regulating their body temperature in both cold and heat if you shave them down. But a nice short trim would probably make him feel great. Since it is summer you could also have his stomach shaved down because that will help keep him cool and help with any belly mats without making him hot (unless he likes to sleep belly up in the sun ;) ). Plus it looks like he has a lot of dead fur sitting in there, so a good grooming will pull all of that out and making his coat a bit slimmer.

And that is your Golden grooming lesson for the day.

:mrgreen:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 9:20 am

Thanks, Alyssa. I did try to trim his ears because I had to get the knots out. They look rather pathetic right now, but at least I can brush/comb him.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 15th, 2008, 9:38 am

Please don't get too mad at him for snapping...most likely that's the only way he knows how to communicate anything. With being crated a lot, he doesn't have very good social skills. It also sounds like he's not feeling great, what with the mats and the bald spots...and if it *is* thyroid, his body is all out of whack.

If he snaps more, just calmly give him a time out, or just leave him alone...let him settle, and try again. It's all new to him...new dogs, new person who is now trying to get him cleaned up, new house, etc. :sad2: It's a lot to take in...so be patient. I know you will, but sometimes we all need a reminder (I know I do at times!)

Xander was very much like this when I first got him...he would not tolerate the rougher handling that I used on the other dogs that were used to it (brushing, flipping them over to get the other side, etc). He does now, after lots of warnings from him, and lots of patience on my part! I just had to remember that his life was suddenly turned upside down! :D

And I agree with Sis, don't shave but get a nice all over trim! Shaving can ruin the coat, and make it grow back in funny...and it doesn't protect them from the elements!

ETA...here are two good articles on how to clicker train better grooming/vet behavior

http://www.clickersolutions.com/article ... ooming.htm

http://www.clickersolutions.com/article ... ympics.htm

TheRedQueen

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 15th, 2008, 9:42 am

iluvk9 wrote:We go in at 10:45. I thought the same thing about being crated, Tamara...but then my Vet always tells me to stop pretending to be a Vet. :rolleyes2: I posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24891

my vet loves when I play vet, he told me everyone else that comes in is a f'ing idiot, its nice to see someone that actually knows what they're talking about :giggle:

come to my vet! he'll let you play doctor :wink:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 15th, 2008, 9:48 am

Play doctor with your doctor, eh? Is he hot? :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

PreviousNext

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members