Guess what I got?

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 12:04 pm

And here is the not so good news....

Vet is not happy with the "snapping". Said I am making excuses, because when Astro tried to bite HIM as he put the muzzle on, he said it wasn't a snap, it was more of "I am going to bite you." Said not to put my face near him, not to trust him with other people.

Thanks for the links, Erin. Being an optomist (or maybe someone is just calling me a jackass....) I will see what transpires in the next 10 days until he goes back to the Vet for the rash.

I know he "snapped" at his previous owner's, but again, I assumed it was the crating and lack of contact. :confused:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 15th, 2008, 12:07 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Play doctor with your doctor, eh? Is he hot? :wink:

lets just say I'd play doctor with him :dance:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby gayrghts » July 15th, 2008, 12:21 pm

iluvk9 wrote:And here is the not so good news....

Vet is not happy with the "snapping". Said I am making excuses, because when Astro tried to bite HIM as he put the muzzle on, he said it wasn't a snap, it was more of "I am going to bite you." Said not to put my face near him, not to trust him with other people.

Thanks for the links, Erin. Being an optomist (or maybe someone is just calling me a jackass....) I will see what transpires in the next 10 days until he goes back to the Vet for the rash.

I know he "snapped" at his previous owner's, but again, I assumed it was the crating and lack of contact. :confused:

NILIF may be enough to treat this.... or not....

good luck :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby airwalk » July 15th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Joyce it very well may be poor socialization, poor training. In his condition, it's obvious they didn't spend any real or quality time with this dog so he very well may have been on his own to determine how best to handle stressful situations.

Treat him just like you do your others, he may very well be thankful to finally understand he doesn't have to be in charge, you are, that he doesn't have to or get to make decisions and that your expectations don't change...you may end up with a very grateful dog.
airwalk
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Heather: Oddly, there is nothing he "has" to "give back". :|

Diana: That is what I originally thought.

He doesn't "act up". He waits in his open crate when I am preparing their food, he ignores the other dogs, he doesn't try to get on the furniture, he waits his turn in line when everyone is drinking water from the outside bucket, and when he is not on leash next to me, he just lays in front of the floor fan.

I find the problem occurs when you want him to do something he doesn't want to do, like go outside or get groomed. Yet, he let me pour ear cleaner into his ears, let me cut one nail every half hour, and I was able to cut knots from behind his ears.

Oye......
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyPuppy » July 15th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Wow! Cograts -hopefully things will get easier by the day. Geez, I feel guilty begging for a 2nd dog but if you can have 4, maybe I can have 2!?! Best of luck with the poor biy, I'm sure YOU can coax out what love and manners he has 'in there'! keep us posted.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 15th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Typical un-handled dog. He snaps, so the handling stops.

What not to do: Force him to be handled (unless absolutely necessary) :nono:
What to do: Work slowly and carefully with him, so he learns that handling brings great rewards! :clap:

Sounds like you're on the right track...work with him with lots of yummy treats, reward for good behavior...you're going slow, and that's perfect. Can't expect miracles in a short time!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 15th, 2008, 2:07 pm

don't most people get coffee tables at divorce sales?

only Joyce would come home with a dog and a golden retriever at that... :giggle:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » July 15th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Sounds like you have yourself a "project" dog, Joyce. Take it slow (like Erin said) and best of luck! :wink:

I KNOW you can do it! :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » July 15th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Ah, he has a bit of "Beast" in him, huh?

He's obviously not used to being handled/groomed on a regular basis, poor old boy.
I agree w/everyone else... praise/treat/reward the good behavior, try to ignore the bad.
Most important... be safe and stay cautious until you get to know him and his boundaries/triggers better. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, everyone. Now someone give Astro full access to PBT so he can read this. :)

I tied him up so if he lunged at me, he would choak himself a little bit. I wore BIG GARDENING GLOVES on one hand. I got the scissors and started trimming his butt, feet, legs and near the rash. Perfect gentlemen. Even held his feet up one at a time, although I didn't ask for them. I kept my face away from his, but he keep sniffing my head and licking my hair every once in awhile.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » July 15th, 2008, 3:49 pm

I have no words of wisdom, just wishing you much luck and sending good thoughts! If anyone can bring out the best in this ole boy, it's you.

(but from what I read on this forum, it's a good idea if you don't cook for Astro! :D )
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » July 15th, 2008, 3:52 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence, everyone. Now someone give Astro full access to PBT so he can read this. :)

I tied him up so if he lunged at me, he would choak himself a little bit. I wore BIG GARDENING GLOVES on one hand. I got the scissors and started trimming his butt, feet, legs and near the rash. Perfect gentlemen. Even held his feet up one at a time, although I didn't ask for them. I kept my face away from his, but he keep sniffing my head and licking my hair every once in awhile.

sounds like he already read PBT and figured out that the nonsense wasn't going to work...you are way too good of a trainer...so he figured he better be nice, it's safer. :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 15th, 2008, 3:52 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence, everyone. Now someone give Astro full access to PBT so he can read this. :)

Makes me a little sad to read that he's so inept at "being a dog", and doesn't really know how to act... but it does make me happy to know that he's w/you, because if anyone can turn him around, it'll be you as well.
And if he proves himself completely untrustworthy, at least he's had some downtime and a loving home for a short while.
And, yes, PLEASE take precautions, always. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 15th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:Congrats, you two! He is cute :)

I have met a few dogs that had those bald spots on their knees from being in crates too long, Joyce. Maybe thats what it is with him. What time do you guys go today? I would love to hear how he is after a look over. I hope he just needs to be taught manners and that will take care of that snapping. Little brat!

Its probably the start of bed sores.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » July 15th, 2008, 4:04 pm

yeah, its a learned beahavior, he's learned that he can snap and make people go away if he doesn't like something.
Its actually the typical response a LOT of dogs have(I see it at work, a lot), and when people pull away it becomes reinforced.
I agree that probably ignoring it is the best bet. A stronger reaction would make him fearful, I think.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BullyLady » July 15th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Somehow I totally missed this thread. I was reading the other one about Astro going, "Now when did Joyce get another dog?? What did I miss??" :lol:

Congrats on the new addition, and you are totally an ANGEL for rescuing!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 7:52 pm

LMAO

and you are totally an ANGEL for rescuing!

I am afraid to take a vote on this, just yet..... :shock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » July 15th, 2008, 7:53 pm

How is that big ball of fur doing tonight?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby iluvk9 » July 15th, 2008, 7:57 pm

Well, he "let me" use scissors on his butt and stomach to cut the fur back. He "let me" clean his ears again. He ate the Cepha pill right out of my hand, not knowing what it was, I guess. He also played with Truman a little.

I didn't feel like he was going to bite me, so I guess that is good. I starting playing with the muzzle with him so he will get used to it, because soon I have to clip those nails WAY down. :shocker:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

PreviousNext

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members