Hit by a car!

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby msvette2u » May 21st, 2007, 6:57 pm

So I got a call that I was needed to euth. an injured dog, dog has been struck by a vehicle. Barry came and picked me up and we went to the house where the dog had been hanging around "for a few days" and finally got hit by a car today.
They came out bringing THIS:

And he's not got any external wounds except scrapes on his front leg and scrapes on his back leg and his private area, a little bit. Strange place for "road rash", the inner aspect of both legs that are scraped!?
I have our vet on standby in case he crashes but he's acting just fine, not shaking or even breathing fast like dogs do when they have internal injuries.
The shelter can't cover a vet bill for him (which is why the standard "treatment" for an injury is euthanasia!) so I offered to rescue him and hold for the legal hold time, taking him in to the vet if necessary.
He had no collar, no tags and no chip. And has been loose for "a few days".
Not sure if anyone SAW him get hit. Jeff thinks he was tossed out of a car.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 21st, 2007, 7:00 pm

he probably got his scrapes from the underside of a car :(

Just what you needed, another small, stubborn dog!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » May 21st, 2007, 7:05 pm

That's what Jeff thinks too...rolled around a bit underneath it.
I know, Malli - should be interesting here!
We have a foster family taking one from us tomorrow evening :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » May 21st, 2007, 7:34 pm

The shelter took who's word for it that this dog was hit by a car and may have injuries?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » May 21st, 2007, 7:41 pm

On May 21 2007, iluvk9 wrote:The shelter took who's word for it that this dog was hit by a car and may have injuries?

Well some gal called and said he had been "hanging around" for a few days. She said some guy came with the dog (or at least that is the impression I got) and said he'd struck it with a car. Nobody from the city knows anything other than what this gal told him and then us, when we went there to collect the dog to put it to sleep.
I know - very odd, huh!?
I expected BLOOD everywhere. I expected him to be shocky and half-dead already.
It isn't beyond people who think they won't get a response from animal control, to fib about aggression or injuries to get a quicker response.
I have no reason to believe he was NOT hit, but the dog is no bigger than Ronnie - if he was hit more than a light tap, he'd be DEAD by now.
Or maybe like Mallie said, he ran over it with just the car and not the tires, and he sorta rolled under it??
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » May 21st, 2007, 7:43 pm

Boy, you can't make this stuff up.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » May 21st, 2007, 7:51 pm

honestly ? the little ones I have seen fare better then the big ones, less chance of actually being run over by a tire, and sort of a hit and then tumble out underneath deal, versus the bigger ones that get caught or have more of a chance of one part or another being smushed :(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » May 21st, 2007, 7:53 pm

On May 21 2007, Malli wrote:honestly ? the little ones I have seen fare better then the big ones, less chance of actually being run over by a tire, and sort of a hit and then tumble out underneath deal, versus the bigger ones that get caught or have more of a chance of one part or another being smushed :(

Interesting! Well he's doing fine still - went out to pee and wanted to mark everything :shock: He gets neutered Thursday if nobody claims him!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 21st, 2007, 7:57 pm

watch his appetite, thirst, urination -color and quantity, and breathing; those are going to be key.

It does look and sound like hes fared quite well...
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » May 22nd, 2007, 1:45 pm

He was fine last night and this AM. Much more relaxed today!
His owner just called and we brought the dog back to City Hall :(

I keep hoping they'll call and say the owner didn't want him back after all the hassle of him being loose, fines and fees, and hopefully they are ticketing the LOSER OWNER as the dog is not chipped, or licensed with no ID/collar AND got ran over by a car!!!
:evil:
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members